Should glasses be free?

• I guess the real question is if you support universal healthcare backed by citizen's taxpayers or some fund controlled by the government, should this be part of the package or not? I don't think the question is if you want to make glasses free in a sense labor shouldn't be compensated. Nothing is free after all.

I think the lenses, basic frame, and the exam to get the prescription aren't different from any other medical treatment and should be treated as such. It's not much different to asking if dental care or mental health should be covered as well.

People who don't use glasses think it is an one shot thing, but depending on the problem you have, it's recommended to update the prescription at least every two years. which probably will necessitate lens change. If it has coating, this may need changing as well even if you can keep the old setup. Because of the costs, lot of glasses users may be forced to use the same glasses for way longer than recommended, having to endure eye strain and other health problems.

Lenses can cost a lot. Mine for instance, with no special features go for 200 bucks.

• After a Vision exam submitted the prescription to an Online Eye Glasses shop. For $40USD for a satisfactory pair of prescription Glasses.

Yes Glasses can get costly, with multiple pairs(Dress Glasses, Work Glasses, Casual Glasses, Sunglasses) each time.

• Vote and feel free to explain or not explain why.

like yes and no. I accept you dont choose to need them... but they still cost money to make

Ults: Enhypen, Xikers | Jungwon, Yujun

Bias: Woonhak | EJ

BOYNEXTDOOR | &Team

"Stray kids does not mean strait kids"

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't think so. A Lot of other things like essential medicines/treatments (insulin, heart meds, inhalers etc) are pay only which I think should be more of a priority to make cheaper to even free. Glasses are one time fee that can last several years if looked after.

Besides I don't know about other places but there are schemes here in place where you can get free eye tests and very cheap glasses/lens on unbranded frames because of universal healthcare. My mum and dad both wear glasses and each paid around £30 total for eye tests and glasses, dad even has a second pair for free.

Uh, using glasses without updating them for several years can do more damage. Also my glasses cost $300 and I didn't even get a new frame, just updated the prescription after 10 years, and I don't have insurance, it can cause headaches/migraines, eye strain, and fatigue

• those who are rich should be overcharged for it, those who can just afford it should pay the fair price and those who cannot afford it should pay a reduced price or have the cost waived.

There is an inherent material cost for making glasses but we should not let that bar accessibility to a normal life.

I believe this model should also apply for other medical necessities like insulin, prosthetics, etc.

• Uh, using glasses without updating them for several years can do more damage. Also my glasses cost $300 and I didn't even get a new frame, just updated the prescription after 10 years, and I don't have insurance, it can cause headaches/migraines, eye strain, and fatigue

Like I said that depends on more your country and its healthcare. We have universal healthcare and cheaper prices for things like meds for older people or those who don't earn much

My mum has had the same pair for about 5 years now and she's had zero problems. My dad had to get a stronger prescription a few years back but it cost roughly the same as his previous pair.

A couple of my friends who are young and earning decently, which means they have to pay full price for their glasses unlike my parents, have also updated or kept their same pair but they paid closer to £200 because they buy designer frames.

• Like I said that depends on more your country and its healthcare.

My mum has had the same pair for about 5 years now and she's had zero problems. My dad had to get a stronger prescription a few years back but it cost roughly the same as his previous pair.

A couple of my friends who are young and earning decently, which means they have to pay full price for their glasses unlike my parents, have also updated or kept their same pair but they paid closer to £200 because they buy designer frames.

wait you admit those aren't universal but in the same breath--

• I don't really think so because there's so many different types of glasses. And also, there are brand names too that go up to luxury types, so no.

Hey there~

6807349f784b6d7bd92a7b58e7f1047b963fd499.gifv

• I'm not sure they should be free since the workers that create them have to get proper pay and it's not a state run business but they shouldn't be as crazy expensive as they are right now. Considering how many people there are with bad eyesight it should be possible to add a tax that at least partly covers it and could be used to support the shops. My glasses cost about 300€, that's way too expensive.

• no, that's like asking if food should be free

the argument of if glasses should be free because pay for them just to meet the bare minimum ie getting one of our 5 senses to function clearly is weak because that's like arguing that food should be free because we pay for them just to survive

i do believe however that they should be cheaper, but that all comes down to materials and manufacturing and i don't know much about that

- kind regards, a fellow glasses-user

• Where I'm from glasses aren't free but insurance does cover a chunk of the costs.

Right now, insurance covers up to 114€ per lense or something. The exact amount changes every couple of years.

And insurance covers part of the cost everytime your eyesight changes by 0.5 diopters, which is also good.

I think insurance should cover a little more than that, but for that to be possible our health sector would have to become more efficient and stop wasting money which is unlikely to happen.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!