Goan vs Hanteo physical sales

• Which album chart is more reliable?

Both charts are often used in fanwars to diminish rival groups success.

Example: Dont count in EXO repackages, because they are a seperate album. However as far as I know...Hanteo counts in repackages, whilst Goan doesnt. Please correct me if im wrong.

Every SM group has counted their repackages alongside the orginal. And the K-industry fully acknowldeges the million seller groups in the company.

Another example....BTS repackages arent counted. How many repackages do BTS have? And why arent they counted in with the total sales?

Which chart shall we trust more?

• there both different tho

HANTEO tracks hanteo official stores.

GAON tracks shipment #s, so HANTEO wont count USA/EU sales from local stores, and doesnt count Japanese sales from places like Tower.

• there both different tho

HANTEO tracks hanteo official stores.

GAON tracks shipment #s, so HANTEO wont count USA/EU sales from local stores, and doesnt count Japanese sales from places like Tower.

Ok.

Now I get why intl fans ignore Hanteo.

• The only use Hanteo has is weekly sales. It makes no sense to use Hanteo for any reason but that hence it's a music show thing.

Gaon is the most accurate source and the official source in SK like Billboard in the US. Using Hanteo overall numbers means you're purposefully missing a chunk of the market which makes no sense as it only count Hanteo certified outlets. Gaon also adjust returns so maintains accuracy over time.

Repackages in my mind have never counted as one. No-one was saying Twice have sold 500k+ for a release back in 2017 because it doesn't make sense.

• Hanteo counts album sales to consumers from only Hanteo certified stores. I've read that Hanteo sales include sales from all Korean stores, Ktown4U, and a few other retailers outside Korea.

Gaon counts album shipments to retailers and other distributors, not direct sales to consumers. It includes album shipments around the world so it should always be a bigger, sometimes much bigger number than Hanteo. If the retailers dont sell them and returns them to the label, Gaon numbers are later adjusted downwards, but i've never seen that with Kpop labels, i think they always play it conservative, that's why you see so many albums out of stock. The labels dont wanna be stuck with unsold albums.

I think Gaon only counts albums produced in Korea. I think Japanese album sales are counted separately in Oricon and can be added to Gaon totals if you wanna get an idea of a group's total album sales.

• The only use Hanteo has is weekly sales. It makes no sense to use Hanteo for any reason but that hence it's a music show thing.

Gaon is the most accurate source and the official source in SK like Billboard in the US. Using Hanteo overall numbers means you're purposefully missing a chunk of the market which makes no sense. Gaon also adjust returns so maintains accuracy over time.

Repackages in my mind have never counted as one. No-one was saying Twice have sold 500k+ for a release back in 2017 because it doesn't make sense.

But industry has acknowledged EXO as million sellers sincs growl.

Does that mean this achievement should be ignored?

Its a genuine question

• Gaon is the source of truth. Always.

I know some people like to talk a lot about Gaon Hanteo difference and fandoms like to discredit each other. And even when I know exo have very little Gaon Hanteo gap I’ll still say Gaon is the most important.

Gaon is Korea’s official and oldest chart and it is the source of truth.

So do we call them quintuple million sellers then?

I mean...SM can also do mediaplay. Its not impossible for them to do....

Seriously im not asking this so that I can drag EXO or something

• But industry has acknowledged EXO as million sellers sincs growl.

Does that mean this achievement should be ignored?

Its a genuine question

As in the media can push what the media want to push - mediaplay is done by everyone in the industry to some extent but unless Gaon shows you have a million for a album(obviously post-2011 when Gaon came in) I don't think it can be claimed officially. With a caveat yes but only certain labels have ever pushed that.

• So do we call them quintuple million sellers then?

I mean...SM can also do mediaplay. Its not impossible for them to do....

Seriously im not asking this so that I can drag EXO or something

Bro all that is irrelevant.

You are asking different questions. Million seller titles have nothing to do with Gaon or Hanteo.

Yes now we have certification. We never did before. But million seller titles go beyond newly introduced certifications.

In EXOL fandom we considered exo albums and repacks and the Korean and Chinese versions to be together. We don’t have to change that for anyone or what any one says.

EXO is a sextuple million seller. Idk what you mean by media play here. It’s got nothing to do with anything.

• However according to some people it does. Especially during fanwars

Well anyways I have my answer.

Million seller is not an official title.

If you’re asking how many million certifications EXO have they have 2 : DMUMT and soon DFTF. Note that this is a new thing and didn’t exist before.

But that has nothing to do with EXO’s million seller title. Which is media and fan given. That’s it.

• Usually, you use Hanteo for the first month because gaon isn't out or isn't accurate. In the long run, Gaon is the better metric.

However, just because Gaon states 1.5m copies, doesn't necessarily mean 1.5M copes are sold, it means 1.5M copes have been shipped out from the distributors. A few percent maybe in the store's inventory.

✧ "Got no time for haters 모두 다 집어치워 버려" ✧

• Hanteo counts album sales to consumers from only Hanteo certified stores. I've read that Hanteo sales include sales from all Korean stores, Ktown4U, and a few other retailers outside Korea.

Gaon counts album shipments to retailers and other distributors, not direct sales to consumers. It includes album shipments around the world so it should always be a bigger, sometimes much bigger number than Hanteo. If the retailers dont sell them and returns them to the label, Gaon numbers are later adjusted downwards, but i've never seen that with Kpop labels, i think they always play it conservative, that's why you see so many albums out of stock. The labels dont wanna be stuck with unsold albums.

I think Gaon only counts albums produced in Korea. I think Japanese album sales are counted separately in Oricon and can be added to Gaon totals if you wanna get an idea of a group's total album sales.

iirc exo and red velvet are some of the groups with albums returned at the end of the year. It reflected on the gaon charts

• iirc exo and red velvet are some of the groups with albums returned at the end of the year. It reflected on the gaon charts

Album returns have to be reported by the stores. Which is interesting because it happened for EXO’s earlier album (not a lot a few k) but something changed in kpop since 2018 and I don’t think any SM album has seen returns since then either.

• Album returns have to be reported by the stores. Which is interesting because it happened for EXO’s earlier album (not a lot a few k) but something changed in kpop since 2018 and I don’t think any SM album has seen returns since then either.

With exo I think it was very special circumstances because the chart I saw showed mostly returns for 2014 and that was one of their years with most controversies, like dating news and members leaving, right? So the returns are understandable given the context

But the ones I saw for RV albums were dated 2019 so I don't think it stopped in 2018. I found this tweet

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• With exo I think it was very special circumstances because the chart I saw showed mostly returns for 2014 and that was one of their years with most controversies, like dating news and members leaving, right? So the returns are understandable given the context

But the ones I saw for RV albums were dated 2019 so I don't think it stopped in 2018. I found this tweet

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

For exo yeah yeah you’re right 2014. Dark days. The C version saw a lot of returns you’re right.

I ERASED THE MEMORY FROM MY HEAD OMG. It was too tragic.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!