I think this is a good uptake on Company stans and Kpop industry

• This is probably not a news to kpop stans. Some of us pretty much alr know this.

I saw this tweet and just realised this probably the reason why company stans exist and this is how they are cultivated.

Many talented groups disappear once their “shell life” is over according to the company.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Me and the other school computer folks-

Are We A Joke To You?

I think it’s only you 😂

Tweet says “k-pop is a bandwagon industry bc the companies behind it want that. they don't want to produce artists with unique qualities and longevity, bc that brings attention to the artist. they want to bring the attention to their ability to produce acts over and over again”

• BRIYANI

Changed the title of the thread from “I think this is a good uptake on Kpop industry” to “I think this is a good uptake on Company stans and Kpop industry”.
  • Kpop companies operates like movie studios and games developers, they see their acts as IPs to profit over and like to improve their own brands through their acts

But unlike movies or gaming series musicians are humans, meaning they will have personal demands and needs. And of course this will lead to interest conflicts with labels, hence for labels it's a good thing their groups aren't very long lived. Seems like kpop companies want their groups to gain fans for at best 3 to 5 years and then just stop growing

• Kpop companies operates like movie studios and games developers, they see their acts as IPs to profit over and like to improve their own brands through their acts

But unlike movies or gaming series musicians are humans, meaning they will have personal demands and needs. And of course this will lead to interest conflicts with labels, hence for labels it's a good thing their groups aren't very long lived. Seems like kpop companies want their groups to gain fans for at best 3 to 5 years and then just stop growing

After which a newer younger group is produced and the cycle continues

• It's true that's why you have people Stan groups pre debut just because they are from a certain company and they get that in built fanbase before really proving themselves.

• It’s unstable bcos the companies never intend to make these groups last long sometimes. You are right it’s purely a business mindset.

Companies? I don’t know why some of you think it’s purely companies that cause groups to disband.

Groups don’t last forever by design, they are never suppose to be forever.

Groups are made of individual people, who think about themselves and want to have their own career, life, ambitions etc. When you are in a group, you are constantly looking at the collective.

Groups disband because they always had a shelf-life. No 30 year old wants to have their actions/schedules dictated by 6/7 other people.

• Isn't it a combination? :/

Like sports companies, K-pop companies (or music companies in general) are dependent on their groups/sports teams to survive and thrive as a company. Yet the sportsmen, just like the groups, aren't forever: so in order for a sports company or music company to survive, they're required to have new sportsmen and artists, to fill up their roster and replace the ones who'll leave.

A good example is Big Hit and BTS, or YG and Big Bang: both companies had periods of time that like 90% of the company's revenues came from 1 group. That's extremely risky for a company, and not sustainable in the long term.

Both companies realised that, so in order to increase their survivability, they're required to diversify and gain new groups and companies.

Else you might get a situation like happened to Source Music: their one and only group is gone now that GFriend's gone, what revenues do they still have, what reason for existence or future would they have without Big Hit supporting them?

Another example is DSP: they were part of the Big 2 in 1st generation, together with SM.

Yet because their back-then popular groups lost popularity and/or disbanded, and they weren't able to replace them with equally strong groups and artists, they became less and less until now they're only a shadow of what they used to be.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I don’t think it’s purely up to the companies. There are other factors too like what you mentioned. My take was on the company roles in the industry and how their business style is.

• Also groups are dependent on the members in them: not everyone wants to spend 10+ years of their lives only being idols or music artists.

You can also see that with groups in the West, that most of the times even had fewer years than K-pop groups that they remained with the same number of members, before some started to leave or gave more priority to their solo career than to the continued existence of the group.

But for those that want to, you can see in K-pop too that there's room for them to keep existing: Shinhwa is a group that has existed since 1998 until now, BoA has been an artist at the same company since 2000, same for groups like Super Junior and DBSK that have been active since 2004 until now, 15+ years and more.

What you'll notice is that boy groups are often able to stay together and continue in the field longer than the girl groups are able to.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• GGs shell life always seem to be shorter than BGs. We all know it’s bcos of some of the obvious reasons why.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!