KPOP, Human Rights, and Hypocrisy

• Btw, Nicki Minaj is all about female empowerment, so people would have called her hypocrite to perform in SA

Should people who support Israel in US leave the country? Their jobs?

No artist who supports human rights should go to the US either

img.gif

Edited once, last by dopiee ().

• What's new about that ?

People talk about human rights only when it fits their narrative or when it's trendy (ex: BLM)

I can't believe that a genocide is happening in Palestine and people are still silent about it.

• That’s whataboutism. People can still find other things worse than others. They can still voice out their opinions towards other things more than other things. You literally say: wow you are all so hypocritical because you do not care about xy. What if they care about it but didn’t care about it in that moment? What if they do only care about a partical topic?

Then just say it’s virtue signaling instead of hiding behind human rights. If you pick and choose when to support Human rights then you don’t care for human rights.

• Honestly there is no black and white answer.

About Saudi Arabia, BTS performed there. Nicki didn't.

Neither of these actions had any effect on the situation in SA. But the ARMY living there were a bit happier.

As much as we wish they did, artists don't have the power to stop systemic abuse from governments. Not in Saudi Arabia, and nowhere else.

• Should people who support Israel in US leave the country? Their jobs?

No artist who supports human rights should go to the US either

I've edited enough times so I'll add, people extend the way they see Israel govt to their people because they don't have rights to speak against them. It's not the case with the US. Their govt is "clearly" different from what the people are really like. That's why it's a different issue.

• So it’s just about the concerts ? I thought it was about social issues ?

Btw, Nicki Minaj is all about female empowerment, so people would have called her hypocrite to perform in SA.

It’s not about concerts. I wouldn’t care for that because I’m not Saudi nor do I have anything to dow with them. It’s about hypocrisy within “human rights”.

I don’t know what’s more female empowering then having Nicki Minaj perform in Saudi Arabia.

• I've edited enough times so I'll add, people extend the way they see Israel govt to their people because they don't have rights to speak against them. It's not the case with the US. Their govt is "clearly" different from what the people are really like. That's why it's a different issue.

Israelis kinda do, just not much. Protest lead to violent interactions with police. Not serving in the Israeli sadistic forces leads to jail, yet they’re a “democracy”.

• Then just say it’s virtue signaling instead of hiding behind human rights. If you pick and choose when to support Human rights then you don’t care for human rights.

That is not how human rights work and discussions. Yes, everyone deserves human Rights but people can freely talk about the things that they deem important. You are thinking in black and white and not in context. E.g. I would rather care about a thing happening in my country or in a country that is near by mine than other countries. That’s in the nature of a human being. Denying this, wouldn’t stop these problems. You can raise awareness on the topics instead of the whole “Look at this 111!!!11“ path

• Hypocrisy is to be expected with any big business, as in politics.

I don't know about performing in KSA, but another case is BTS donating to BLM movement, when racism/stereotyping is rife in Kpop industry.

As the most influential act in Kpop industry today, I wonder how much have they done to influence Kpop-Koreans to accept various skin colours, facial features and body shapes, that they donate to a 'Woke' movement outside their own society, outside their own industry.

But they are not unique, very few corporates and influencers, want to start reform at 'home', but flaunt - virtue signal about reforming others - society/nations etc. etc.

And they may not even know that, for such is the nature of fame, a parallel universe they exist in.

Hollywood folks do that.. as Ricky Gervais pointed out, if ISIS starts a studio or channel, the same actors who 'preach', will call their agents for a gig.

BLM was 'trending' in 2019/2020, so BTS leveraged it nicely.

Such is the nature of business and politics. Only the lack of hypocrisy can be praised, but presence is business as usual.

• I almost laughed at the SA and islamophobia comments at least defend an Islamic state like Iran that doesn't align with American foreign policy SA is the victim of nothing pretty sure no one has sent a spy psyop to their state recently. Also all pop stars are corporate tools and have been for ages no one will change their views because of a pop star unless they're like 5 they're just people as products in capitalism anyways. The very obsession with human rights is interestingly a modern secular western concept created predominantly by old white classical liberial Anglo and French men(if the identity politics game must be played). Personally I find "human rights" when pushed by other nations such as US based activists and such as nothing more than a tool of neoliberial capitalism. After all it's a neoliberial American-dominated world and we just live in it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!