Voluntarily wanting to be a single-parent is selfish and irresponsible!

• Yeah I’m talking about the rise of women who want a child without a partner, not those who ended up being a single-parent due to unwanted circumstances.

I seriously don’t get how some people really think it’s a good idea to give birth to a child in the most non-ideal situation ever?

Not saying that all children who were raised by a single parent didn’t ended up well, a lot did. But the vast majority of single-parented children will also tell you how it had a psychological and social effect on them.

It’s fine if you as a woman don’t want to settle and don’t need a man cause this would be more ideal for you, it’s your decision. But to force your child to settle for a non-ideal situation, to say it doesn’t need a father is just pure selfishness and irresponsible for me. Especially boys have the biggest side-effects when it comes to being fatherless.

There are tons of statistics of negative side-effects that prove how this isn’t a good idea. If you wanna be single stay single, but don’t involve another human being into your decisions. These women really think it’s easy to be a single mother and the sad part is, they don’t even listen to women who are already single mothers, who are telling them that they don’t know what they are getting themself and their child into.

• How often does this happen that it warrants this rant tho...like I have seen people claiming other women do it but have never seen or heard of it first hand. Usually in the case of single parenthood the father chooses to abandon the child and/or their pregnant gfs. I just don't think many women willingly choose to birth and raise a child alone. If they are extremely wealthy I don't see the issue. They could provide any and every additional resource they child needs or wants. The emotional support from a male figure does not have to come from the biological father. Uncles or grandfathers can provide the same.

Does your thought process include lesbians who want to have a child together? Since you're putting emphasis on the lack of a father figure in the child's life. Does your rant extend towards gay men who choose to have a child using an egg donor and surrogacy?

• True but what about singel parent who adopt children and what about gay couple who want adop children they also missing on parent part ??? :|:|:|

You can’t adopt a child as a single unless you are really rich.

I don’t know about that, there aren’t enough studies about how gay parenting will affect a child so I could say are just speculations. Also a complete different scenario.

• I mean you can be fatherless and have two parents, for example two women. So the fatherless argument is eh, but I get your overall point. However if one can financially afford it then why not? Having one wealthy parent is better than two poor ones.

It’s more to it then wealth tho.

The fatherless part is based on statistics. Most inmates were raised by a single parent, where the vast majority were raised by just their mother. Since this is the most common scenario.

• How often does this happen that it warrants this rant tho...like I have seen people claiming other women do it but have never seen or heard of it first hand. Usually in the case of single parenthood the father chooses to abandon the child and/or their pregnant gfs. I just don't think many women willingly choose to birth and raise a child alone. If they are extremely wealthy I don't see the issue. They could provide any and every additional resource they child needs or wants. The emotional support from a male figure does not have to come from the biological father. Uncles or grandfathers can provide the same.

Does your thought process include lesbians who want to have a child together? Since you're putting emphasis on the lack of a father figure in the child's life. Does your rant extend towards gay men who choose to have a child using an egg donor and surrogacy?

There are a lot of straight women these days who think about willingly raising a child without wanting to be a relationship. So they use sperm donations etc.

Yeah I mention fatherless. Because unfortunately a lot of statistics prove that children from fatherless homes are 3 times more likely to be delinquent. Children from a single parent household are more likely to be the victim mental issues, questionable behavior and academic struggles and the saddest part abuse, especially sexual abuse by a third person that should help raise a child and most of the times it’s an uncle/aunt, nanny etc.

This is not about gay/lesbian couples. This a complete different situation.

• everything depends on the situation

there is never a situation that two parents are better than one...

there is never a situation where one parent is worse than two...

there is never a situation where two parents of the same sex are better than one or different sexes...

the social economic and other factors weigh more than the number of parents/gender of parents

• But children of voluntarily single parents, they likely wouldn't feel that emotional weight of not having two parents. If anything, granted they're given proper and adequate care and attention, they could grow up just as well as those in two-parent homes, if not better in some cases.

It's not always about having a mother and a father. It's about having the right role models to look up to and learn from. Even just one is enough.

That’s it, if anything granted. But how would you know if things go the way you planned? I’m pretty sure your parents never thought about divorcing, yet it happened.

This is a recent trend were people voluntarily want to be a single parent.

Before, this situation happened because of circumstances.

I turn a blind eye on those rich enough to spend enough time with that child to give them enough love and care and resources etc. But most of these women are middle class women, they will need to work, so a lot of the time their kids have to be taking care of by others, that’s were most cases of child abuse happen.

• It really depends on the society you live in.

• exactly my friend lol

the society that one lives in probably is more determinate than the number or sex of the parent you have

But this phenomenon is only seen in western countries. In those where father-mother parenting isn’t required, the whole system is built in a way that it works. It’s not comparable to the western system of parenting.

• But this phenomenon is only seen in western countries. In those where father-mother parenting isn’t required, the whole system is built in a way that it works. It’s not comparable to the western system of parenting.

exactly which means the society one lives in is very determinate of the ways or bet method of raising a child...

• I know, but I’m talking about the western society and there it’s not ideal

maybe but it's very hard to test right? lol

you can't take ceteris parabis conditions or experiment on children to determine how "number and type of parents" factors weigh compared to other social economic factors

• Honestly this just sounds like you're trying to demonize women who choose to be single parents. Please drop your stats, because I want to see how many of these delinquent children had mothers who specifically chose to be single and got their children via sperm donation

It doesn’t matter if the mother chooses to be a single parent or if she ended up being a single mother because of circumstances. These are statistics that shows how single parenting had many negative side-effects. Does it really matter how the women got pregnant or in that situation?

It’s not a ideal situation in our western society. I simply don’t get how you voluntarily willingly decide to have a child in an non-ideal situation, knowing very well you will need the help of others at the end of the day anyway. The same goes with fatherless too. The only reason I mentioned the fatherless part is because of the statistics. It goes both ways. Not just women.

Hey I’m not saying they shouldn’t go on with their plan. I just think it’s a bit selfish and irresponsible.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!