K-Pop Latin American Boy Band Competition Series In The Works At HBO Max

• MCDBRTH_EC050.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

K-pop is fast becoming a global musical force with the success of BTS and Blackpink.

HBO Max is looking to take advantage of this with a new series designed to find a new K-pop phenomenon. The twist? The streamer is looking for the band to come out of Latin America.

The WarnerMedia-backed streamer is developing the untitled competition series with Korean media firm CJ ENM, the company behind Fox’s I Can See Your Voice, and Endemol Shine Boomdog, the Spanish-language arm of Endemol Shine North America, which produces series including MasterChef Mexico and Univision’s Mira Quien Baila.

It’s a truly global format for the streamer, which has been increasingly growing its slate of internationally-focused projects and recently unveiled plans to launch in 39 territories across Lat Am and the Caribbean in late June.

The show will follow a group of young men from Latin America audition for an opportunity of a lifetime to fly to Korea to train under the K-pop secretive star-making system to launch the first K-pop coached Latin American super group.

Throughout the music competition show, contestants are tested with challenges designed to not only evaluate their individual abilities, but to help them come together as a diverse, yet unified boy band, ready to debut on the world’s stage.

K-pop’s influence across Latin America has been growing for a number of years and recently Colombia’s Sebastian Yatra teamed up with Monsta X for Magnetic, while BTS member J-Hope worked with Mexican-American singer Becky G on a remake of Chicken Noodle Soup. Puerto Rico’s Guaynaa also recently worked with Chung Ha on Demente.

It will be exec produced by Richard Jun, CJ ENM’s Harry HK Shin, Young Ju Ok and Jake Hong and Alejandro Rincon and Alvaro Godoy for Endemol Shine Boomdog.

Source

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• Ok I just read first two sentences. Finding a kpop group in Latin America?

Like finding a korean popular music group in Latin America? How does this work?

What about Latin pop group?

• It says K-pop coached Latin American super group.. so I’m assuming theyre not singing in korean just following training style. I’d be interested tbh sounds fun

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• This is literally just the same shit as NiziU / JO1, KPOP trained/aesthetic in another country. They not singing ion korean lol

and Latin america is a good place for this as boygroups are popular there already like CNCO

• I wonder why they didn't go for Netflix?

HBO Max is struggling to gain new subscribers and there will significant drop if they don't let Zack Snyder continue with his vision of the DCEU. Once HBO Max refuses to let that happen, It's over. There is nothing saving that service. Snyder fans are some of the most powerful fan communities in the world. Killing a streaming service is not THAT tough of a job.

Even Amazon Prime Video has wider reach, HBO Max was just launched last May.

Maybe hardcore company stans will pay to watch it but how many exactly? 750K?

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• wait are they gonna sing in Korean? I thought it was more like a latin boy group training in korea and having a kpop style but singing in Spanish

Yes, they not singing in Korean ,they will only be trained by the Korean company as if they were a Kpop group. We can say like JO1, they sing in Japanese but they are like a Kpop group.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• Can you blame them for wanting to try to cash in on the K-Pop momentum? So basically it's Menudo x.0 ("K-Popcalypse" Edition).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!