K-pop is rising because Western pop music is falling

• Yes, I acknowledge hard work and such and I'm not discrediting them in any way but I think a huge factor in them (and other K-pop acts) being more accepted in the US now is because there is a severe lack of pop music in the charts. It's undoubtedly the year of trap/hip-hop music with essay writer very few pure pop artists managing to crack the top 100. Compare now and back then where there were pop divas galore (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Kesha, Miley etc) dominating the charts. I feel like a lot of US pop fans have turned to K-pop to get their fix of pop music which is why Kpop is becoming more popular in the West. Not that I'm complaining, I'm all for it

• Yes, I acknowledge hard work and such and I'm not discrediting them in any way but I think a huge factor in them (and other K-pop acts) being more accepted in the US now is because there is a severe lack of pop music in the charts. It's undoubtedly the year of trap/hip-hop music with very few pure pop artists managing to crack the top 100. Compare now and back then where there were pop divas galore (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Kesha, Miley etc) dominating the charts. I feel like a lot of US pop fans have turned to K-pop to get their fix of pop music which is why Kpop is becoming more popular in the West. Not that I'm complaining, I'm all for it

Yea

ive noticed in myself as well!
    i dont even listen to the American radio anymore

unless im in a car on a road trip and we normally hear great songs that i grew up with anyways

but kpop Music has become a normal routine for me

and it games a chance for smaller groups to become more successful

Kpop truly is the best! <3

• actually true western pop run out of ideas its all generic now, kpop is generic but it can give the fun entertainemnt that western pop cant give

Facts

thats another reason i dont stick around too much

most of their music has the same genre

but with Kpop its so different

the only american singers i keep up alot with mainly really is Just Taylor Swift

and i also keep up with Alan walker, but hes a Norwegian DJ but o man do i love his music alot! im a huge EDM fan

and in the US u can hardly find good popular US music group that is still around

but in Korea you can find tons and tons of Groups!

• From my viewpoint, not quite. I think the decline in American "mainstream" music quality makes looking for good music in other, more obscure, genres a necessity for people who really love music.

As for western-world-retail stores, if they can sell $30 K-Pop albums and people are buying them, why not?

• From my viewpoint, not quite. I think the decline in American "mainstream" music quality makes looking for good music in other, more obscure, genres a necessity for people who really love music.

What decline, though?

I think mainstream American music is in a much better place now than it was in the 00s.

Would like to think that Taylor Swift's Folklore is a sign that the Max Martin's reign of terror is finally over, but I'm not that lucky.

Ironically, it's that void (the void of... absolutely terrible generic music) is the void that k-pop is probably filling . Guess shit's subjective!

tbh I think the last time a decent amount of good music was sufficiently mainstream was in the early to mid nineties, and mostly not even in America (exception: boom-bap and grunge).

• I personally really like the songs kiss me more, leave the door open and telepatia thatd are on thr charts right now and let's not forget about miss Ariana Grande

• If you ask me, "Western" music has been on the decline since the early 2010s. In fact, that decline is what prompted me to get back into K-pop.

• I am not well aware about western pop music, but I do see a generation shift. Like people's taste in music is changing. I personally love recently released albums more. But yes, we've had a lot of iconic songs dominating charts before than now.

I think kpop just made a good space for themselves in the market.

• People are seriously overestimating how popular kpop is lol.

The most streamed artists currently on Spotify. There is no lack of pop music from the west.

Justin Bieber

The Weeknd

Dua Lipa

Ariana Grande

Bruno Mars

They are pop. Maybe some r&b but definitely not trap or just hard core hip hop.

Also stream the best album from 2020 thanks,

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!