which big 3 company gives more creative freedom to groups?

• if sm lets nct write whiplash then.. uh def think its sm

but also jyp cuz of 3racha but jb never really got his songs released soo

• 100% not SM

One reason for it, yall know it allready, is how they treated Amber. She said she wrote songs and SM looked at what she wrote and went like "yeah no". She wanted to sing about serious topics and SM didn't allowed it. They trashtalked her work and made her feel bad for even writing her own music. As she than released songs on her own Youtube-account SM got pretty pissed at her for doing so. Amber said SM even told her she wouldn't even be worth anything and so it would be useless for her to release music she wrote. She was so unhappy that she decided to not renew her contract as it expired.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• 100% not SM

One reason for it, yall know it allready, is how they treated Amber. She said she wrote songs and SM looked at what she wrote and went like "yeah no". She wanted to sing about serious topics and SM didn't allowed it. They trashtalked her work and made her feel bad for even writing her own music. As she than released songs on her own Youtube-account SM got pretty pissed at her for doing so. Amber said SM even told her she wouldn't even be worth anything and so it would be useless for her to release music she wrote. She was so unhappy that she decided to not renew her contract as it expired.

The songs she wrote as Rogue Rouge were better than anything SM ever let her put out. I'm still so mad they forced her into rapping when she always wanted to sing. Her voice is so pretty

• Almost all under YG solo or group have participated in producing, composing and songwriting except for gg's. However, CL also had songs under her belt and BP members had some participation in their songs may it be group or solo. Just not consistent though. It isn't about gender because Suhyun and former Lee Hi have a say in all their songs. Gg's only have that issue.

Jyp is next but they're not consistent with all their groups. Only skz seems to have massive participation in their discography. Other than that, jyp artists might help with songwriting or not at all.

Sm, idk but it seems to me that they're very controlled. They have songwriting credits here and there though.

• Creative input and creative freedom aren't the same thing.

For example, back when BI was still in iKON when iKON released Bling Bling (I think, or was it Rythm Ta ?) he talked about how it was supposed to be a concert hype song and how they wanted to promote something else entirely but YG made them promote that song instead. He produces the song but he doesn't get to decide what to promote or how to present his art. That's not creative freedom.

On the other hand, Kyuhyun didn't produce or write At Gwanghwamun but he said that he chose it himself and that SM management was opposed to his choice and that he put his feet down and had to fight for it and at the end had his way.

Which of these 2 scenarios shows more freedom? Obviously the latter.

There are lots of misconceptions regarding this issue in kpop and I think many fans look at it very shallowly. Your faves don't have creative freedom just because they write their own lyrics, not when the company still imposes on them what song they can and can't release, what image to have and what subjects to write or not write lyrics about.

And this by no means mean that I'm trying to argue that SM allows more freedom, that's obviously not true at all. I think it's a case by case thing, Bigbang obviously had lots of creative freedom but so does Super Junior even though they don't produce as much. Then there's Day 6, Akumu, some SM soloists etc. It all depend on the artists and their respective circumstances.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!