What is the most beautiful place you've ever been?

• Laos. I've been to Yellowstone, it's one of my favorite places in the US. I've been to Crystal Lake, it's gorgeous. But driving by the karsts of Laos is ANOTHER LEVEL of amazement. And when you go kayaking on a river right beside these 2000 ft cliffs and on the other side of your boat is the wild jungle? GUH you die. Not from like, rocks falling, just from sheer beauty of the landscape.

LimestoneKarst.jpg-for-web-NORMAL.jpg

Just to clarify, the River isn't actually on the same level as the cliffs right?

I'm terrified of heights :blushing:

• Just to clarify, the River isn't actually on the same level as the cliffs right?

I'm terrified of heights :blushing:

River is at the base of the cliffs, haha. The karsts are actually made of limestone, and fairly porous to water, so the tops of them are literally dangerous to climbers because they're so sharp in places.

• Time to add it to the list of post pandemic plans then :pepegrin:

I'm about to go all fangirl here.

Dude, GO TO LAOS. Once you get past the expense of the plane ticket (and the probably interminable plane ride), it's an amazing country, and very inexpensive to internationals. The culture is rich, the scenery is amazing, there's so much to do, the people are very kind, and understanding about your efforts to communicate from another language. The food ROCKS, if you like Thai food, Laos is like Thai on steroids.

I'll give you an example from my trip: I actually broke my collarbone while I was there and got 6 stitches in my knee because I was a dumbass. Nonetheless, I decided to carry on with my trip, wearing a sling. My next scheduled activity was a hike with a guide, and we visited a coffee-producing village (did you know raw coffee beans right off the tree actually taste like grass? They don't taste like coffee until they've been dried), then hiked five miles into the highlands to a buddhist temple in the middle of NOWHERE (seriously, those monks had to hike five miles every day just to get milk. wtf. That is some dedication.) It was maybe the most peaceful place I've ever been though, and I hike a LOT so that is saying something. Then we went to three waterfalls that were in the area, because Laotian geography is amazing and why not. And I actually forgot that I was hiking on a knee with stitches in it. That was how stunning this place was. I stan Luang Prabang for the food and culture, and the Bolaven Plateau for the amazing sights.

• I'm about to go all fangirl here.

Dude, GO TO LAOS. Once you get past the expense of the plane ticket (and the probably interminable plane ride), it's an amazing country, and very inexpensive to internationals. The culture is rich, the scenery is amazing, there's so much to do, the people are very kind, and understanding about your efforts to communicate from another language. The food ROCKS, if you like Thai food, Laos is like Thai on steroids.

I'll give you an example from my trip: I actually broke my collarbone while I was there and got 6 stitches in my knee because I was a dumbass. Nonetheless, I decided to carry on with my trip, wearing a sling. My next scheduled activity was a hike with a guide, and we visited a coffee-producing village (did you know raw coffee beans right off the tree actually taste like grass? They don't taste like coffee until they've been dried), then hiked five miles into the highlands to a buddhist temple in the middle of NOWHERE (seriously, those monks had to hike five miles every day just to get milk. wtf. That is some dedication.) It was maybe the most peaceful place I've ever been though, and I hike a LOT so that is saying something. Then we went to three waterfalls that were in the area, because Laotian geography is amazing and why not. And I actually forgot that I was hiking on a knee with stitches in it. That was how stunning this place was. I stan Luang Prabang for the food and culture, and the Bolaven Plateau for the amazing sights.

Aww this is so cute 🥺

Your excitement is contagious

I haven't went out of country for like 2 years so this sounds like a fun opportunity to 😊

I do definitely like Thai food 😩 i wonder what it on steroids would taste like tho 🤔

Not liking that grass coffee thought tho :peperun:

I hope the collarbone thing wasn't to serious though 😳

I'm glad it didn't ruin your vacation at least :teeheek:

I've never been to a buddhist temple before, going five miles for it though :sketchyk:

It sounds like a fun challenge at least :pepe-smug:

I do love hiking as well and it sounds like a fun time

I'll probably do some more research, but I'm definitely keeping it mind if I ever get the opportunity :nervousk:

• It is hard to best the nearby Sierra Mountains for beauty but the Alcan Highway is remarkable. The endless Mountain ranges navigated by a work in progress roads is an experience.

Alaska_hwy_Denali_National_Park.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!