Is a song kpop if it wasn't made in South Korea?

• Is a song kpop if it wasn't made in South Korea? 19

The result is only visible to the participants.

This is something I've been pondering over since the release of Lisa's Rockstar MV. I never really thought about it because I just always assumed the music had to be made in South Korea to be considered kpop. I assumed this because, in the anime community, it's pretty clearly defined what is anime and what is not. It's become a bit murky these days with netflix, but it is generally agreed that it's only anime if it was produced in Japan.

After doing some googling, I see no clear definition like this for kpop. So im just wondering what others think on this. Do you think the song needs to be produced in SK to be kpop? think it doesn't matter? Personally I dont care, I was just curious if anyone felt strongly towards one way or the other.

• ew songs

This is something I've been pondering over since the release of Lisa's Rockstar MV. I neveFr really thought about it because I just always assumed the music had to be made in South Korea to be considered kpop. I assumed this because, in the anime community, it's pretty clearly defined what is anime and what is not. It's become a bit murky these days with netflix, but it is generally agreed that it's only anime if it was produced in Japan.

After doing some googling, I see no clear definition like this for kpop. So im just wondering what others think on this. Do you think the song needs to be produced in SK to be kpop? think it doesn't matter? Personally I dont care, I was just curious if anyone felt strongly towards one way or the other.

Few 'KPop' songs are now written in Korea. So I don't think it matters

• External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I think you hit the wrong thread my friend but thank you for the nugu news

• I think you hit the wrong thread my friend but thank you for the nugu news

Their company labels them as a kpop group :pepe-shrug:

• To me, as long as it's sung by a KPOP artist, I consider it KPOP.

Even when Twice released The Feels all in English, I considered it as KPOP.

"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't bout how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward." ~ Rocky Balboa

xgSyBVJ.jpg

• ohhhh I didnt look well enough at the tweet. So they are group consisting of only peruvians but being called kpop? interesting.

They have a profile on kprofiles (but many non kpop groups do)

BLINGONE-PE Members Profile (Updated!) - Kpop Profiles
    Our BLINGONE-PE Members Profile is updated on a regular basis, providing up to date facts and news.
    kprofiles.com

They were on some Korean music shows

External Content www.youtube.com

External Content www.youtube.com

• I guess I just wonder at what point do we draw the line and say this is no longer kpop

and if you vote no I'd love to hear why

• Can you more clearly define what "made" means in this case?

Hmmm i guess thats pretty hard actually....I suppose created at a label/studio in Sk? Idk much about the music making process.

But even then its still murky. One recent song that comes to mind is Like That, which was written by charlie puth but gifted to BM. I guess its hard to strictly define kpop.

• When kpop rised around early 2000s, it's all about music genre, and of course it's sung in korean with South Korea based groups.

Now, many Korean group adopt western music more and more with English lyrics. kpop no longer has distinctive kpop sound, but it's still identified as Kpop since it's still korean group.

If you take away both music and language, and now non-korean based group has to sing it, I don't see why it has to be called Korean pop anymore.

• If you take away both music and language, and now non-korean based group has to sing it, I don't see why it has to be called Korean pop anymore.

Yea I would say that makes sense

Like we have Lisa's Rockstar, a full english song produced by an American label and performed by a thai artist that lives in America (i think?). But it is being considered kpop.

So because Lisa was/is part of a kpop group, will anything she makes going forward always be kpop? Will we still be calling it kpop when blackpink disbands (formally ^^ )?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!