Kakao wants to sell S.M to NCSoft

• MTN News reported that Kakao reached out to NCSoft to sell S.M.

Since late last year, Kakao has been reported considering to sell off S.M Entertainment and has contacted different prospective buyers.

On 29 Jan, the source relating to Kakao and NCSoft revealed "Kakao is reviewing its plan to sell S.M Entertainment and discussed secretly with NCSoft on this matter late last year." The source added, "No one knows how serious Kakao was and what was the response from NCSoft side."

Another source in the industry said "I believe the discussion did take place."

Kakao, since late last year, has been speculated to sell S.M Entertainment as the CEO of Kakao Entertainment, Bae Jaehyun, has been charged with stock price manipulation in the attempt to buy S.M Entertainment. Also, there has been internal conflict.

NCSoft is a dominant target for the S.M sale attempt as the company is embarking into entertainment platform business following the declined competitiveness in gaming market.

However, NCSoft is under re-construction, minimizing all sectors unrelating to its main business. The S.M purchase is less likely.

NCSoft has responded that "We are not considering to acquire S.M."

Following the acquisition of S.M Entertainment, Kakao has faced internal conflict and legal investigation. Some investment advisors see this acquisition poisonous. The best case scenario is Kakao overcoming legal complication and increasing its control over S.M, re-organizing it and making its governance more transparent.

src.

:eyes:

• The best case scenario is Kakao overcoming legal complication and increasing its control over S.M, re-organizing it and making its governance more transparent.

Hopefully they do this instead of selling SM to another company that'll probably make the management even more worse. But if Kakao's CEO is also corrupt then honestly all I can say is good luck to SM Entertainment.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• 카카오-NC, "SM엔터 매각설 사실 아니다"
    카카오가 현재 보유 중인 SM엔터테인먼트 지분을 엔씨소프트에 매각한다는 소문에 대해 양사 모두 사실이 아니라고 선을 그었다. 29일 금융투자업계에 따르면 한 매체가 카카오가 SM엔터테인먼트 주식을 매각하기 위해 엔씨
    n.news.naver.com

both of 'em are denying the rumors. nc says they've never received an offer

• can we please get some renown foreign company to buy those?

or I don't know

Samsung-ah let's buy SM lol

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have heard that there are certain laws that restricts Samsung from buying entertainment companies. Not sure if it's true though.

it might be antymonopoly law

don't know what are restrictions in Korea

some foreign company could buy those shares tho, imagine if Netflix buy shares, or I don't know Red Bull, Coca Cola or some company like that, would be cool thing

overall this is why I mentioned Samsung, because if one of such companies would acquire SM then they could promote some phones or products and make young generation to turn back into their phones

we all know that Korea, Japan are dominated by Apple this days, so it would be smart for Samsung to counter that

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!