[TW] 13 year old girl with diabetes dies, her teachers are now facing prison

• I translate the video for yall

External Content www.tiktok.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

MC: The 13 year old Emily takes part on a class trip to London. The girl got diabetes and shows symptoms of hyperglycemia and dies shortly after in a hospital. Despite many hints of the students, the teachers apparently did nothing. The trial against the two teachers began today. For Emily's family probably just a faint consolation.

Dad: I'm almost on a daily at Emly's (grave). I need it for myself. This is how I can be near to her. I miss her every day. Here is where I'm able to talk to her, think back on good memories and watch videos of Emily.

Narator: Kay Schierwagen is going trought the worst nightmare of all parents. In July of 2019 he had to burry his only 13 year old daughter.

Dad: Emily's dead was so useless. 13 years old in the middle of her life. She had so many goals and plans.

Narator: Since her 6th year of life she suffered from type 1 diabetes, but was said to have handled it very well. In her school file was also a note of her dad about it. In July of 2019 Emily went onto a school trip as like many times before. It's going to London. Allready on the day after their arrival the girl is feeling worse. The 13 year old apparently puked several times and felt dizzy. The reason was probably hyperglycemia.

Dad: When Emily was taking a shower she took her insulin pump off. And while showering her blood sugar went above 400 and she fainted.

Narator: The normal blood sugar of diabetic people is under 160. Emily's blood sugar was apparently 3 times as high. Even trought any hints of her friends, nobody of the 4 teachers recognized the life threatening symptomes. After the disctrict court of Mönchengladbach rejected a lawsuit, the higher regional court of Düsseldorf decided differently. Today after 4.5 years begins the trial in Mönchengladbach against 2 (female) teachers.

Regional court: The public prosecutor accuses the teachers of negligent homicide. The two accused teachers apparently didn't prepaired well enough before the school trip and had not enough informations on which of the kids was having any pre-existing illnesses.

Narator: While Marina M. and Anna-Sophia A. explored the British capital city, stayed her friends at the bed of the 13 year old. This is the last picture (in the video) that shows Emily being alive. A voice message at their own parents documented the despair of the kids.

Voice: She is feeling very fucked up. She puked. She is sitting, she is falling asleep, she lies down, she is falling asleep. They (her friends) take care of her all the time, than the teachers came. We should stay and take care of her. She is constantly about to colaps.

Narator: Apparently only 2 days after the first symtoms the teachers called the ambulance.

Dad: The teachers only realised the situation 2 days later when the staff of the hostel was collecting the opening cards for the rooms, when Emily was allready found to be dead in her bed. Emily was taken back from the hostel with a defibrillator. Only than the teacher realised what was going on.

Narator: In this moment the 13 year old was said to allready have a blood sugar level of over 1400. Emily dies on sunday, about a day after she was taken to a hospital in London due to a heart attack. Most likly due to the consequence of an insulin deficiency. According to an diabetological report, her death could've been avoidable if she had gotten treatened on time.

Dad: I'm going to take place on all the 14 meetings that the court has scheduled. It's importaint to me. I want to see the people who caused this. It's unforgivable. Trought ignorance taking a human's life. They could've just called the ambulance. They didn't even need to do more.

Narator: Since Emily's death, Kay Schierwagen is hoping for a fair process.

Dad: I didn't slept in the past few days. I'm very nervous and excited. Because it's a big thing today.

Narator: The two acussed (teachers) deeply apologized to Emily's family. The verdict is expected to come down at the beginning of May.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

Edited 3 times, last by JiminieKookie ().

• Sounds a bit strange too me, because what I know it's not often the problem of high blood suger that is dangerous, but too low.

Not true at all. High blood sugar is what happens in diabetes if not properly managed. Going into a hypoglycemic state is often the first sign in type 1 diabetics. How do I know? Family history of diabetes.

EDIT: Low blood sugar can occur if you overdose on insulin, which is why it is recommended to get something sweet into you fast. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of. But both are problem when your own body can't manage blood sugar correctly.

• Isn't this old news?

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• Not true at all. High blood sugar is what happens in diabetes if not properly managed. Going into a hypoglycemic state is often the first sign in type 1 diabetics. How do I know? Family history of diabetes.

EDIT: Low blood sugar can occur if you overdose on insulin, which is why it is recommended to get something sweet into you fast. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of. But both are problem when your own body can't manage blood sugar correctly.

Yeah, well I know the problem is high blood sugar because of lack of insulin and that is a long term problem that have a bad effect on the health. But the more dangerous life threating problem is often you get too much insulin and that is often people with diabetes have someting with sugar handy so they can eat if they get problems with too much insulin.

• This just seems to keep happening

Kids on school tours, teachers are meant to be de facto guardians but are negligent. Kids get sick and die.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/courts-law/teens-death-on-school-trip-to-vietnam-ruled-preventable/news-story/3b028ca69b81e610dac3f46dddd18f52

• Yeah, well I know the problem is high blood sugar because of lack of insulin and that is a long term problem that have a bad effect on the health. But the more dangerous life threating problem is often you get too much insulin and that is often people with diabetes have someting with sugar handy so they can eat if they get problems with too much insulin.

If your bloodsugar is low, you usually start to feel very dizzy, weak and start shaking. All you can think about is sugary food (Me personally). The worst thing is to wake up at night because of my low bloodsugar, because then I go to the kitchen and grab anything with a sugary taste that I can find, while shaking and sweating.... so yes, it feels worse, but it' still more likely to die of a high sugar level because it actively damages the body, while the risk of low blood sugar is fainting and hitting your head somewhere. (Source: I have Diabetes type 1 since 10 years)

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• If your bloodsugar is low, you usually start to feel very dizzy, weak and start shaking. All you can think about is sugary food (Me personally). The worst thing is to wake up at night because of my low bloodsugar, because then I go to the kitchen and grab anything with a sugary taste that I can find, while shaking and sweating.... so yes, it feels worse, but it' still more likely to die of a high sugar level because it actively damages the body, while the risk of low blood sugar is fainting and hitting your head somewhere. (Source: I have Diabetes type 1 since 10 years)

My dad is the same way which is why we keep soda and juice nearby since that's the fastest source of sugar should shit get real.

• My dad is the same way which is why we keep soda and juice nearby since that's the fastest source of sugar should shit get real.

I also always take apple or orange juice! Some people think chocolate works, but that's actually a myth, as you probably know from your dad, it's too slow.

• I also always take apple or orange juice! Some people think chocolate works, but that's actually a myth, as you probably know from your dad, it's too slow.

Yes it is slow the only way chocolate is fast is if its certain type of candy like a Snickers bar that's cookie chocolate nuts and caramel. When he gets low he will eat one of those and be alright afterwards. It's still nowhere near as fast as drinking something sweet.

But now he will be getting a insulin pump. He was so used to doing it the old way. This way he doesn't have to constantly remember to check his sugar or take a insulin syringe with him

• liquid form is best for fast absorption.

But then again it depends if its hyper or hypo glycemia.

For those not understanding the terms Hyper meaning high glyc meaning glucose or sugar. Emia meaning presence in blood. And the other hypo meaning low presence in blood

• If your bloodsugar is low, you usually start to feel very dizzy, weak and start shaking. All you can think about is sugary food (Me personally). The worst thing is to wake up at night because of my low bloodsugar, because then I go to the kitchen and grab anything with a sugary taste that I can find, while shaking and sweating.... so yes, it feels worse, but it' still more likely to die of a high sugar level because it actively damages the body, while the risk of low blood sugar is fainting and hitting your head somewhere. (Source: I have Diabetes type 1 since 10 years)

yes, but the "hurting of the body" is a more a long term problem? it's often not the biggest problem in a couple of days time span.

• yes, but the "hurting of the body" is a more a long term problem? it's often not the biggest problem in a couple of days time span.

If your blood sugar is really really high for a couple of days (Lets say its constantly 400mg/l, for 2 days) your body will produce ketones that actively damage your organs and kill you in a short amount of time if not treated properly. That's what happened to the girl.

• If your blood sugar is really really high for a couple of days (Lets say its constantly 400mg/l, for 2 days) your body will produce ketones that actively damage your organs and kill you in a short amount of time if not treated properly. That's what happened to the girl.

agreed, this sounds like she was in a DKA - which as far as your body is concerned is similar to the kinds of stress you get with Sepsis, and organs gradually fail. It's not as easily recognised as a HYPOglycaemic event by the general public, but still, any diabetic kid puking and feeling faint should be an emergency and the teachers were in the wrong

Yeah, well I know the problem is high blood sugar because of lack of insulin and that is a long term problem that have a bad effect on the health. But the more dangerous life threating problem is often you get too much insulin and that is often people with diabetes have someting with sugar handy so they can eat if they get problems with too much insulin.

the victim had the exact opposite problem. it's a short term emergency from too little insulin/too much blood sugar. and yes it kills in hours

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!