Which company actually dominating Japan between Jyp and Hybe?

• I stumbled upon this Reddit thread where folks are claiming Jyp is all out for Japan, while Hybe is more into the Western scene an not put their focus in that market. Is that really true?

JYP's got Twice, Niziu, and Stray Kids doing big in Japan, but I'm not seeing the same push for Nmixx and Itzy there. It's kinda odd, considering Twice's massive legacy, it feels like a missed opportunity. Even with Niziu riding on Twice's rep, the effort in the Japanese market seems a bit low for their Korean gg now.

Meanwhile, Hybe's girl groups, like Le Sserafim with Sakura and Chaewon, are clearly eyeing Japan. Newjeans, without a Japanese debut or members, are also making waves. Seventeen, En-, and txt are doing really well, and Bts is untouchable there just like Twice. They even have their own Japanese boy group.

Honestly, I'm a bit salty that Jyp couldn't keep up in Japan for their next Korean girl group. Meanwhile, Hybe seems to have it figured out, with most of their groups thriving in Japan after Bts.

• I think both HYBE and JYP give a lot of importance to Japan and Western markets. The thing is that HYBE is more competent. Their artists start to promote on Japan too early on their career and all of them have korean albums distributed by a japanese distribuctor while JYP's korean albums are imported.

For example, ITZY could have hit big in Japan If they didn't debut and start to promote when past their peak there. All ITZY's title tracks from 2019-2020 are streaming certified and their best selling korean albums on the country are from these years. JYP lost the perfect timing for them and japanese people moved on.

Overall, I think HYBE dominate more cause all their biggest acts are big on Japan to some degree, from the oldest to the newer. While JYP just have TWICE, Stray Kids and NiziU right now.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• BTS>=TWICE

Seventeen>SKZ

LSFM=Niziu

HYBE rest>>>>>>>×100 JYPE rest

Newjeans, Enhypen and TXT belongs to the overall Top 10/15 for Kpop acts in Japan.

The Japanese BG from Hybe is obviously also coming in high speed and the new GG have 2 popular Japanese members.

You can say that JYPE have quality with Twice, SKZ and Niziu but it's small compared to the mix of quality&quantity to HYBE groups.

• I’d disagree with that take

If anything, Hybe focus more on Japan than JYPE and are much more proactive in the market, especially since Dynamite.

They send their top groups to award shows, festivals and music shows over there, which isn’t that common for JYPE it doesn’t feel

Outside of Stray Kids who seem to do quite a few OSTs and NHK which multiple groups do I can’t think of the promo JYPE groups there. :pepe-narrow-eyes:

• I said this the other day and it is true that BTS make more money from Japan alone than any other kpop group does worldwide. That too without touring there since their biggest hits in Japan. So having BTS on your team is good for HYBE...

BTS becomes the first overseas artist in history to be ranked number 1 on this annual sales chart in Japan
    For the longest time, the Japanese music market was the goal and objective for many K-pop idols in the history of K-pop. The Japanese music market wa…
    www.allkpop.com

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BTS as a group haven't even stepped a foot in Japan since 2019 so it will be huge when they do after comeback in 2025-26...

• BTS as a group haven't even stepped foot in Japan since 2019 so it will be huge when they do after comeback in 2025-26...

I think this is the main point people are missing. Imagine them having their biggest hit globally with Dynamite in 2020 but haven't touched on Japan's soil since 2019 even though Japanese idols/celebrities (Yuzuru Hanyu is the biggest Dynamite simp ever lol) and even Kohaku wanted to see them perform in person. They had 12 stadium dates in Japan alone when they planned MOTS Stadium world tour in 2019 and that doesn't include an encore for more Japanese dates like they usually do. That's why their reunion tour is greatly anticipated because there is no telling how big the fandom grew there post-Dynamite when pre-Dynamite they were already about to tour to 600K (minimum) Japanese ARMY.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!