Politicians discuss new laws to protect idol trainees from excessive weight management

• Politicians discuss new laws to protect idol trainees from excessive weight management

20240111000740_0_20240111202701449.jpg

Article: Seolhyun's story of "being 167 cm tall but forced to weigh 48 kg"... young idols will now be offered more protection

Source: Herald Economy via Naver

[+487, -15] What a waste of resources on such a stupid law. Instead of worrying about kids who are caught up in delusional dreams, why not worry about caring for low-income children or children suffering from rare diseases?

[+129, -11] Isn't the whole point of a celebrity to be sculpted to what the public wants? You can't just put a celebrity out there and demand that the public like them regardless of what they look like. The closer you are to the standards of what the public expects, the more successful your career as a celebrity will be, and the kids who don't fit that mold should give up and find another dream.

- [+0, -0] Yeah, this is the same logic as expecting basketball teams to not pick tall players because it's not fair. Idols are voluntarily choosing to trade their health for fame and money.

- [+1, -4] I don't think you understand how difficult it is to expect an idol who is 168 cm tall to get down to 48 kg weight.

- [+5, -0] ^ Then don't be an idol?

[+89, -3] Useless law... where is the support for low-income children? There are news articles all the time of children aging out of orphanages and choosing to commit s*icide. You do realize that European modeling schools all enforce strict dieting rules on their students? Their regulation of weight is severe... I feel like maintaining a certain weight is a basic, minimum requirement as a K-Pop idol.

[+77, -6] So what do idols want? Their cake and eat it too? What do they want next? A free pass into SKY universities too?

[+52, -8] I'd say these weight requirements are ridiculous but these people are idols, not normal people. You don't expect an idol to be 158 cm tall and weigh 58 kg, that's ridiculous. You have to consider the investments these agencies make into these people. They have a line of kids who fit their mold waiting out their door, they don't have to put up with you if you don't want to follow their weight requirement. Idols need to just put their heads down, do it, get money, and get their revenge once they're famous and free agents.

[+15, -1] Of all the laws we need to be making right now, why one for idols.. so pathetic...

[+8, -0] Yeah, but is anyone forcing these kids to be idols? ㅋㅋㅋ If it's too hard for you, then don't do it

[+25, -19] I think the law is doing a good thing... even if these kids are voluntarily wanting to become idols, they're still human, and first and foremost, they're still "children"... Their basic safety should be protected, and I think regulations like this is a good thing.

[+5, -0] These laws don't matter because companies are never going to debut a 167 cm tall 80 kg pig in the first place. That doesn't mean I'm downplaying the other issue of skinny idols being a bad influence on diet culture with children, but that's another issue.

[+4, -0] Don't be an idol if you hate the standards. If you want the kind of money they make, then you're going to have to put up with what they say. Why would anyone want to see cellulite jiggling around their TV screens?

[+3, -0] If FNC had never managed Seolhyun like that, she would never be as famous as she is today

[+3, -0] Why would you bother being a celebrity if you're so offended by your weight being managed? Just go hit the books and marry someone rich instead.

http://netizenbuzz.bl0gspot.com/2024/01/politicians-discuss-new-laws-to-protect.html

• Wow, Knetz are brutal and mean. I mean, i get it, K-Pop Idols have to good look. But there are ways to look good without being underweight or starving yourself. I read about trainees collapsing every other day while they're training, and that really isn't necessary.

My theory:

Companies use this "weight management" to intimidate trainees. It's all about power for them. They want to show them that they're worth nothing and that the only important thing about them is their looks.
    There are a lot of naturally skinny people and idols, but even they are forced to diet and starve because it's about controlling every aspect about a trainees life.

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• 487, -15] What a waste of resources on such a stupid law. Instead of worrying about kids who are caught up in delusional dreams, why not worry about caring for low-income children or children suffering from rare diseases?

C'mon nan why be an asshole. Our government can focus on both issues one doesn't mean we can't have the other. Both are needed for entirely different reasons, and both are just as important

• Why do I feel most of those commenting are men?

"You do realize that European modeling schools all enforce strict dieting rules on their students?"

There are actual laws against this in Europe as well.

To me it sounds like it's girls lol

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• ED culture always comes around from the corner and gets its way into the mind of girls and women regardless if some law is proposed...i don't think it's going to work. The damage has already been done. We girls and women will always be told to lose weight from those older than us due to generational trauma and diet culture that's been implemented into everyone since a young age

• ED culture always comes around from the corner and gets its way into the mind of girls and women regardless if some law is proposed...i don't think it's going to work. The damage has already been done. We girls and women will always be told to lose weight from those older than us due to generational trauma and diet culture that's been implemented into everyone since a young age

In Korea, more women are clinically obese (26.9%) than clinically underweight (14.8%).

• Y'all have no idea how crazy weight culture and lookism is in Korea. I was a kid when i was told by literal strangers like dept store salespeople that i was chubby lol.

When i first really got into Kpop in early 2019, things didnt seem THAT bad.

But something happened in 2020-2021 i think, primarily with 4th gen. I swear every damn idol was fixin to drop to 93 pounds it seemed like esp with my faves in Izone ;(;(;( . Wasnt just limited to 4th gen, i've been on an OMG-read-Yooa kick recently and it's a bit shocking how much she has changed as well.

I mean does anyone think she was too big here in 2016? Literally body goals if you ask me.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

However, she obviously felt like she had to lose a noticeable amount of weight given how much thinner she was last year.

I mean, everyone loves slim, athletic, balanced bodies and proportions, let's all be honest, whether boy or girl, young or old, we all idealize that, all of us prefer washboard abs, toned legs, flabless arms over beer bellies and spare tires. But Kpop has just taken it to the extreme, i wouldnt mind at all if the trends were to reverse to where it was back in mid 3rd gen. ;(;(;(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!