Is it unfair for e-sports players to be granted military exemptions over BTS?

• One is a recognised legimate e-sport with high level competition, the other is mainly luck of how many fans you can get with zero test for your talent except fans bullsh*tting how good you are or Companies paying to mediaplay that you are good and bring billions into the economy.

Naturally, none of that applies to BTS specifically but to Kpop as an Industry as we get others being mediaplayed above BTS

• I think it is difference between sport and art. If you run faster than Usain Bolt, nobody can deny if that tittle belongs to you. You don't have to be popular person to do that. But if you make some meme tiktok video and become extremely popular in internet, people can argue did you deserve that success or was it all about luck.

• esports is just like normal sport

if you have bad day you lose the match and are eliminated

meanwhile in kpop world when you have bad day there is AR, autotune, magic tricks, fans buying albums in certain numbers so artist is nominated to win in music show, and then there is even live voting in which fans can vote for their favs to make sure their chances for win are higher

sayin this overall

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• [+24, -4] Does BTS perform with the Korean flag on their chest? By this logic, then all of the family members of Samsung should be granted exemptions since they've "done a lot" for our country on the world stage too

All the clowns crying over the actions of a people, nation culture and society that they Don't belong to is peak clown 🤡 world.

Faker got exempt because he performed in the Asian games which is similar to the Olympics. The people performing here went there solely representing the nation, often times not being paid to do so.

Kpop idols including BTS did not join bighit or any agency to represent Korea they did this for their own fame and money. People crying about oh they are this popular or did xyz so they should be exempt, then yes by that logic Samsung and many others should be exempt too.

Faker got exempt due to existing laws and rules on the books for decades. BTS were going to get exempt because people were pushing for new laws specifically to exempt them, that's called privilege and favoritism when people make new rules specifically to cater to you. That didn't happen with faker and his team.

People need to stop beating this dead horse it's pathetic. Stop crying about another country you are not apart of. That would be like me complaining about who the USA will elect as president or why they didn't hire x to be speaker in the GOP or something 🤡 shit that is entirely irrelevant to me as it's not my country not my home not my business. Yet all these international fans think everything Korea is their fuckin business 🤡🤡🤡🤡

• Unfair or not, at the end of the day it was Korean politicians who dragged this issue for years and made themselves and the country look embarrassing ( along with the other companies inserting themselves into the situation to benefit from the discussion) while 3 of the BTS members are already serving and the others are going.

I think at this point it's pointless discussing it. According to those articles, Faker is more popular, more important and he did for the country way more than BTS so kudos to him and his team for getting an exemption.

• People need to stop beating this dead horse it's pathetic. Stop crying about another country you are not apart of. That would be like me complaining about who the USA will elect as president or why they didn't hire x to be speaker in the GOP or something 🤡 shit that is entirely irrelevant to me as it's not my country not my home not my business. Yet all these international fans think everything Korea is their fuckin business 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Yeah, because no Korean ever once gave an opinion on a foreign country or a foreign person.

:clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown:

:clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown::clown:

• The conversation has moved past BTS at this point...like they are already half in the fucking enlistment phase of their career right now.

So on an unrelated note I find it utterly hilarious that gamers are given exemptions lol. Like what?

People who play video games? Lol.

• Unfair or not, at the end of the day it was Korean politicians who dragged this issue for years and made themselves and the country look embarrassing ( along with the other companies inserting themselves into the situation to benefit from the discussion) while 3 of the BTS members are already serving and the others are going.

I think at this point it's pointless discussing it. According to those articles, Faker is more popular, more important and he did for the country way more than BTS so kudos to him and his team for getting an exemption.

This is the stupid strawman argument. Faker and his team were exempt because of their performance in the Asia games the rules and laws in place were designed to facilitate who won the gold medal and brought that prestige home in representation of the nation basically showing the world Korea had the best athletes in any number of sports around the world. This is a metric that cannot be refuted as it's purely off the individuals abilities alone.

This was NOT about who's More popular or who did more. If that were the case the entirety of Samsung and all the family members would be exempt for life for all generations because i guarantee you Samsung is more popular and has done more for Korea than BTS ever could and even more for the world too for the last 70yrs and going. Hell BTS wouldn't even exist without Samsung as many of the things idols do relied on certain technology being developed etc.

But the exemption isn't based off popularity or "importance" it was based solely on a person's individual abilities that can be measured by another scientifically.

Kpop doesn't enjoy the same standards because you can't realistically measure it. Because a idols popularity and thus importance is measured by their fans and that brings intentional bias aka conflict of interest meaning the fans will be unwilling to give the opponents the same level of critic that they give their faves. People will say well BTS are the best singers best dancers etc but at the same time you can find people out there who are better singers better dancers or work just as hard or even harder. But don't have the same success and that's due to alot of factors could be the wrong music genre the timing of their debut, the type of group it is the type of agency they are from how is it managed? Do they advertise the group etc etc you hear countless stories of OMG xyz has fire why is this a "flop" nugu, because many things outside of their control failed them. People forget that alot of luck is part of kpop too.

Last i checked when it comes to athletes or Olympics etc they were picked by being literally the best in the world by being directly compared to the actual abilities of others that compete against them. They are NOT voted on by the masses or have huge fanbases that can fudge the results and vote xyz to be number 1 even if they finished last in a race. That's not how this works.

BTS didn't get exempted because they are idols not athlete's that's it.

• You are a little late. You should have told this to all those Korean politicians that dragged the discussion for quite some time and made the country look embarrassing instead of telling me.

• You are a little late. You should have told this to all those Korean politicians that dragged the discussion for quite some time and made the country look embarrassing instead of telling me.

They knew this but due to hubris, arrogance and trying to make a political move to benefit themselves they were looking to use BTS to sway the Younger generation into their ideals on politics this is normal in like every country how politicians out of touch with reality and the young people of their nation will go do shit they think is hip or cool and will earn them brownie points when it's A something the people NEVER asked for and B isn't solving a issue people have. This was their solution to our current issues with inflation, housing crisis etc and the current issue in which military enlistment was due to be decreased and calling reform to goto full professional volunteer military force like that of the USA. But instead of tackling that they go hero derp🤡🤡🤡 idol exemption with BTS as the face of it great idea 🤡😂🤡!

Instead of that now we have I clowns 🤡🤡 arguing over wether BTS deserves it etc and fighting Koreans over irrelevant shit they don't care about when they have real shit that needs solving.

• They knew this but due to hubris, arrogance and trying to make a political move to benefit themselves they were looking to use BTS to sway the Younger generation into their ideals on politics this is normal in like every country how politicians out of touch with reality and the young people of their nation will go do shit they think is hip or cool and will earn them brownie points when it's A something the people NEVER asked for and B isn't solving a issue people have. This was their solution to our current issues with inflation, housing crisis etc and the current issue in which military enlistment was due to be decreased and calling reform to goto full professional volunteer military force like that of the USA. But instead of tackling that they go hero derp🤡🤡🤡 idol exemption with BTS as the face of it great idea 🤡😂🤡!

Instead of that now we have I clowns 🤡🤡 arguing over wether BTS deserves it etc and fighting Koreans over irrelevant shit they don't care about when they have real shit that needs solving.

Well, this is a kpop forum and we talk about things that are relevant to kpop idols and Korea. Shocking, I know.

At the end of the day none of the posts here will make any difference even if we wear our fingers talking about it but since the very definition of a forum is discussing things and expressing opinions, this is what happens here.

I suppose you have problems you need to solve and random opinions of strangers shouldn't be your first priority nor should they trigger you. Lead by example. :-)

• That being said, it makes no fuken sense that he gets exempt over BTS. BTS is literally raking in BILLIONS for SK and can be measured in percentages of SK GDP. Faker's income is only 4.6mil USD iirc. I think that he managed to get the Olympic medalist exemption because esports is recognized as a medaled event in SK, IIRC.

The exemption laws have little to do with how much money one brings in to south korea tho. (If it was then how could anyone argue against that samsung family and their heirs for the next 10 generations should not be exempt by default from birth? After all samsung is literally >20% of south koreas gdp )

That said, having exemptions base on "honor/glory" as now is just as dumb. I agree with the top comments, there should be no exemptions other than for valid health reasons if there is mandatory military service.

• The exemption laws have little to do with how much money one brings in to south korea tho. (If it was then how could anyone argue against that samsung family and their heirs for the next 10 generations should not be exempt by default from birth? After all samsung is literally >20% of south koreas gdp )

That said, having exemptions base on "honor/glory" as now is just as dumb. I agree with the top comments, there should be no exemptions other than for valid health reasons if there is mandatory military service.

the archaic laws bite again

cue the electric boogaloo meme.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!