Is it unfair for e-sports players to be granted military exemptions over BTS?

• Is it unfair for e-sports players to be granted military exemptions over BTS?

0004945861_002_20231006141106290.jpg

0004945861_001_20231006141106192.jpg

Article: E-Gamers are all granted 'military exemptions,' all of BTS had to 'enlist'... military exemption controversy is brought back to the spotlight

Source: Money Today via Naver

[+715, -34] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Just get rid of the exemptions and have them all serve, it's a shorter period nowadays anyway ㅎㅎ

[+595, -32] Yeah, just get rid of exemptions for everyone in both sports and arts. These people choose to pursue these career paths, granting them exemptions is above and beyond any perk they deserve.

[+319, -27] Yeah, this does feel unfair. The Asian Games is not the Olympics, why should perks be offered for winning there? Just get rid of all of the military exemption perks completely.

[+73, -2] Get rid of it for both the Olympics and the Asian Games. Bringing "honor" to your country mattered back when we were poor but we're in a new generation where it's not needed. It's obvious these athletes are playing for their own honor and not necessarily for the country, and some may even say specifically get a military exemption too.

[+78, -8] I don't think it's right to compare BTS to national athletes. They are not performing on stage with the Taegukgi on their chest. The billions they're making are all for their personal gain. It has nothing to do with military exemptions.

[+44, -5] These e-sports players did not earn a military exemption simply for "being good at video games." They went through training to be selected for the national team and to compete with the Korean flag on their chest. With their win comes with an earned perk. They were not paid to compete in the Asian Games. They did it for free. They are paid a high salary for "being good at video games" but they did not earn their military exemptions for that same reason. On the other hand, BTS may make the same gobs of money for "being good at singing" just like these e-sports players but they are never performing for free with the Korean flag on their chest. I don't think the same standards can be applied across the board.

[+36, -4] I don't get where this comparison is coming from. E-sports players entered a global competition to represent their country with our flag on their chest. Singers perform to gain in their own fame and wealth.

[+30, -2] I find it funny that people are nitpicking over video gamers when there are tons of sports that technically aren't physically intensive like archery, etc. Pro-gamers have proven immense global influence... to men all over the world, Faker is probably a more recognizable name than BTS. Why do you think e-sports is an official category in the Asian Games? Because everyone recognizes the influence it has had around the world.

[+23, -1] I think the fairest solution is to just get rid of it for everyone. I don't know why it was offered in the first place.

[+24, -4] Does BTS perform with the Korean flag on their chest? By this logic, then all of the family members of Samsung should be granted exemptions since they've "done a lot" for our country on the world stage too.

bl0gspot.com

• I have my opinion, but not my country, not a human rights issue, so not going to speak on it.

But saying Faker is more recognizable than BTS?...what?

I'm guessing that person is pretty big in e-sports and is also probably known across the world, but BTS are literally the biggest boy group in the world right now. What they have done for KPOP, the Korean economy, etc. is immeasurable. That's exactly why the government was fighting so hard to have them exempt. Never thought I'd see a K-net actually try to diminish their accomplishments like that.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• I have my opinion, but not my country, not a human rights issue, so not going to speak on it.

But saying Faker is more recognizable than BTS?...what?

I'm guessing that person is pretty big in e-sports and is also probably known across the world, but BTS are literally the biggest boy group in the world right now. What they have done for KPOP, the Korean economy, etc. is immeasurable. That's exactly why the government was fighting so hard to have them exempt. Never thought I'd see a K-net actually try to diminish their accomplishments like that.

TL;DR: his fame is kinda broken since he was the face of league since 2018, won three world championships between 2013-2017, and wherever league content flows, his face goes with it. That includes in the game itself.

That being said, it makes no fuken sense that he gets exempt over BTS. BTS is literally raking in BILLIONS for SK and can be measured in percentages of SK GDP. Faker's income is only 4.6mil USD iirc. I think that he managed to get the Olympic medalist exemption because esports is recognized as a medaled event in SK, IIRC.

• But saying Faker is more recognizable than BTS?...what?

You missed this "to men all over the world, Faker is probably a more recognizable name than BTS"

Faker has men's approvals when BTS doesn't. In the previous thread about this, I did mention that anything men love will be more worshiped than Kpop/BTS whose main audience are women. And they just proved me right lol.

• TL;DR: his fame is kinda broken since he was the face of league since 2018, won three world championships between 2013-2017, and wherever league content flows, his face goes with it. That includes in the game itself.

That being said, it makes no fuken sense that he gets exempt over BTS. BTS is literally raking in BILLIONS for SK and can be measured in percentages of SK GDP. Faker's income is only 4.6mil USD iirc. I think that he managed to get the Olympic medalist exemption because esports is recognized as a medaled event in SK, IIRC.

Don't get me wrong. I am not into League at all, and I don't know any of the e-sports people. Because of that, I'm not going to go so far as to make any kind of judgement on how well this Faker guy is known.

But, to go so far as to say that he is more recognizable than BTS in Korea and/or internationally is kinda outrageous. Maybe they have an equitable amount of recognition in Korea and internationally given how big e-sports is around the world, but I think that is me being very since like I said I know nothing about e-sports and on accountability of the fact this is BTS we are talking about and not any other group.

Edit: Apparently the OP specified "for men" and I missed it, so yeah, nevermind.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• You missed this "to men all over the world, Faker is probably a more recognizable name than BTS"

Faker has men's approvals when BTS doesn't. In the previous thread about this, I did mention that anything men love will be more worshiped than Kpop/BTS whose main audience are women. And they just proved me right lol.

You're right, I did miss that part.

They actually might be right in that sense.

• The last comment is very naive about how chaebols always get to be exempted from the military through all kinds of ways.

These comments are what trigger armys all the time because when they get into trouble, then you see knetizens under asking for BTS to be present. I remember the jamboree scandal they were hoping for Hybe to send BTS too.

Next time they should send their award winning athletes in all matters related to representing the country and leave BTS out of it. I hope after the military, the boys will have more power over their decisions that involve Korea

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!