can someone give me tips on how to learn a language?

• so currently i am learning a language (Korea) or trying to . and i would like tips on just how to learn a language! how do i pick it up quickly & memorize it! pls help!!

im learning Korean on Duolingo as it is the most accessible platform to learn a language for me. currently my streak is 44 days & im in the Sapphire league & am in Unit 4

i know two languages : enlish & spanish as i grew up speaking these two

10 Reasons to Learn a New Language in 2021 - Travel Lingual

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

• i learned most of the fundamentals i needed to understand most korean pop culture content(music, movies, dramas etc) within 2 years using this free site: https://www.howtostudykorean.com/

then i just supplemented it by following as many korean personalities that i was interested in as i could on social media so i can learn slang, colloquialisms etc because you won't learn everyday street talk in textbooks

don't forget to install translation apps like papago to help you along. once you're comfortable enough to watch korean entertainment without subtitles, i suggest you start watching korean news and read literature so you can improve your skills even more

• 1. Immerse yourself in the language by watching TV shows, reading books and speaking to native speakers.
    2. Practice every day, set specific goals and track your progress.
    3. Use language learning apps and websites.
    4. Join language exchange groups or take lessons with a tutor.
    5. Stay motivated and have fun with it!

• 1. Immerse yourself in the language by watching TV shows, reading books and speaking to native speakers.
    2. Practice every day, set specific goals and track your progress.
    3. Use language learning apps and websites.
    4. Join language exchange groups or take lessons with a tutor.
    5. Stay motivated and have fun with it!

Bloody bots...why post stupid links.

The advice was actually good.

• immersion is the best

imagine being thrown in SK - you either learn really fast or you can't communicate...

but watching kdramas and k-television

reading a korean newspaper or kids book maybe

• I'm sorry but don't use Duolingo its one of the worst sites to use I would try finding a teacher that can teach you Korean or try finding a website I also recommend watching k dramas with subtitles also on youtube they should have videos that help you learn words and the best part is you can slow it down and replay it I know some people also play videos while they are sleeping saying how it helped them learn.

• i learned most of the fundamentals i needed to understand most korean pop culture content(music, movies, dramas etc) within 2 years using this free site: https://www.howtostudykorean.com/

then i just supplemented it by following as many korean personalities that i was interested in as i could on social media so i can learn slang, colloquialisms etc because you won't learn everyday street talk in textbooks

don't forget to install translation apps like papago to help you along. once you're comfortable enough to watch korean entertainment without subtitles, i suggest you start watching korean news and read literature so you can improve your skills even more

yeah im trying to watch kdramas with subs & can vaguely recognize what i learn

& thanks for the translating app!

i am trying to watch more k-content & trying to just learn it more!

• I'm sorry but don't use Duolingo its one of the worst sites to use I would try finding a teacher that can teach you Korean or try finding a website I also recommend watching k dramas with subtitles also on youtube they should have videos that help you learn words and the best part is you can slow it down and replay it I know some people also play videos while they are sleeping saying how it helped them learn.

i don't have a person who could teach me korean but i do try to watch the YT videos

and i also watcj kdramas with suba and can sometimes vaguely understand (to a certain extent) what they're saying

and i might try the YT vids thingy meanwhile i sleep

• immersion is the best

imagine being thrown in SK - you either learn really fast or you can't communicate...

but watching kdramas and k-television

reading a korean newspaper or kids book maybe

if i was thrown into SK the most i know is "hi/hello" "milk" "goodbye" "cucumber" "babY" and a few more

• i don't have a person who could teach me korean but i do try to watch the YT videos

and i also watcj kdramas with suba and can sometimes vaguely understand (to a certain extent) what they're saying

and i might try the YT vids thingy meanwhile i sleep

I know one of my friends went to a community collage and learned there but sadly you would have to pay

• start small, that way you can build up confidence.

First step in speaking a language is actually speaking it out loud.

No amount of lessons will help with that.

i sometimes speak but do it subconsciously

but thing is i'd be shy to speak with my friends who speaks korean (and is korean; i think he's also latino so mixed) as he's also my crush but i could try!

• I'd suggest reading.

Start with simple texts for small children for example and work your way up. It's much more effective to learn words in context than to try and memorise them individually.

Reading is incredibly effective because it ensures constant repetition of words we already know while simultaneously teaching us new ones along the way.

What I definitely wouldn't do is attempt to study grammar first. Ever seen a small kid study grammar? No, right?

So neither should you until you already have at least a basic grasp of the language. We need to get a feel for the language first, a basic understanding.

You'll find that you can actually get a feel for grammar as well. Grammar in language is basically a pattern and our brains are amazing at detecting patterns.

• Absolute best way is to go live there. Ideally for a year at least. As others said, immerse yourself in it. Go out, just talk, and listen. Have the confidence to just speak no matter how stupid you think you sound.

If you can't travel, then you mentioned you know someone. Ask them to teach you. To only speak that language with them. See whether there are community groups in your area. Maybe see if there are older, retired people you can join on activities with and only speak in that language.

• The only way to get fluent is to use it and speak it. Ditto to others that have said to find a friend or someone to speak with frequently.

After studying Japanese as my minor in Uni, I was not good enough so I found a job and moved to Japan for a few years to master it. This made me learn so much faster. Then went back to the US and took advance Japanese in grad school for two more years.

Now that I left Japan and do not use it everyday, it is getting rusty but I try to upkeep via my friends, TV, music, and mangas etc.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!