K-pop shift from YT to Spotify (ft BP & NJ)

• YT was once the crown jewel of K-pop achievements & it's not far fetched to say YT views are what propelled BP to global stardom & among the factors that got them signed to UMG

YG has also conditioned the fandom to prioritize YT above other platforms by releasing milestone posters & highlighting their incredible achievements on the platform + bragging about the scale of MV production 😌

Then comes ador NJ, it seems the company is doing the opposite, conditioning the fandom to prioritize Spotify above other platforms by releasing milestone posters & refusing to make MV the centre of a CB 😌

It's interesting & it's not suprising that BP is #1 on YT & NJ is currently the most streamed GG.

It's perplexing how YG refused to adapt & promote both platforms importance equally 🚶

Ultimately Spotify is the fastest growing streaming platform & YT is losing listeners everyday so 👀

Disclaimer: NJ being"disrupters" of the K-pop scene is a welcomed change imo, YG/BP & low-key blinks have been complacent so NJ is currently keeping all of kpop on its toes, competition is healthy ✔️

• I like this change because it allows MV directors to get more creative with their projects and not be restricted by a short runtime to increase streamability

Let the songs be songs and the videos be videos

This hopefully leads to more interesting and unusual MVs this generation

Oh yeah another factor ☝️

I would very much love a 5mins MV from BP but because it has to be massive & record breaking, we are left with PV (amazing amazing sets but not fully utilized)

• It's the opposite.

Youtube Music is the fastest growing platform in Korea and it's not particularly close.

Spotify doesn't seem to be catching on there, but more and more Koreans have left Melon and have gone to YouTube, particularly Gen Z.

Melon is dead and Spotify doesn't seem to be working out in SK. Spotify is on par with Bugs. Pretty easily manipulated when not very many Koreans are using it. Would not be surprised if Spotify pulled out of the Korean market. Koreans are pretty soundly rejecting it.

Naver/YGPlus-owned VIBE Music platform is about to overtake Genie.

1668554510-image.png

"In fact, as of October of this year, YouTube Music has risen as the most popular music streaming platform amongst Android users in South Korea.

The most used music streaming app on by Koreans was 'YouTube Music,' which was found to be used by 4.59 million people.

After that, Melon Music had 4.54 million users, followed by Genie Music with 2.32 million, Flo with 1.49 million, Naver Vibe with 1.06 million, Spotify with 540,000, Kakao Music with 360,000, and Bugs Music with 320,000.

After that, Naver/YGPlus-owned Vibe increased by 230,000 from 830,000 in October of last year to 1.06 million in October of this year, and Spotify increased by 50,000 from 490,000 in October of last year to 540,000 in October of this year.

In particular, the music streaming app with the largest increase in the number of users compared to the same month last year was YouTube Music, which increased by 1.11 million from 3.48 million in October last year to 4.59 million in October this year.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Edited 2 times, last by Blue2012 ().

• yeah why are you acting like youtube isn't big in Korea? some prefer to listen to music there and pretty much everything there

ojNrKH4.png

Social Media in South Korea - What Are the Most Popular Platforms for Digital Marketing? | Inquivix
    In this article, we look at social media in korea trends and how to leverage them effectively. We go into detail about Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube…
    inquivix.com

FtxKJA1.png

• Newjeans spotify stats don't surprise me because their youtube views are very low. Not just low because of not having ads. But actual low which u can identify with comments and likes of music videos. Ratio of youtube to spotify has been decreasing every year but they have taken it to the next level(no pun intended) by making those "yt mass streaming" fans not do the usual yt streaming and instead set up streaming farms for spotify instead. Both the hybe fans and company have accelerated their success by understanding what platform to focus. Sometimes i feel like yg, jyp and sm are just run by old people because they cannot understand the trends at all. These companies are too uptight about their brand of music for all their acts and thus lacking diversity it's laughable really.

• Nobody cares about Korea,it's world domination not Korean domination lol

It also doesn't matter cause Koreans will support NJ/BP nevertheless

• Newjeans spotify stats don't surprise me because their youtube views are very low. Not just low because of not having ads. But actual low which u can identify with comments and likes of music videos. Ratio of youtube to spotify has been decreasing every year but they have taken it to the next level(no pun intended) by making those "yt mass streaming" fans not do the usual yt streaming and instead set up streaming farms for spotify instead. Both the hybe fans and company have accelerated their success by understanding what platform to focus. Sometimes i feel like yg, jyp and sm are just run by old people because they cannot understand the trends at all. These companies are too uptight about their brand of music for all their acts and thus lacking diversity it's laughable really.

Actually NJ has above average YT music streams ,it's just their vids with very low views

Agreed about the big 3 lagging,it's stubbornness too

Yang hyun suk is doing the same with the new GG, everyone is complaining about how outdated their pre-debut promo is

• the shift came after Billboard decreased the weight of youtube views and increased the weight of premium streams in their hot 100 formula.

• i'm not super familiar with YT music as a streaming platform

does streaming music effectively work the same way as streaming on spotify? Because if so, this still leaves room for the actual MVs to be more adventurous and longform

• Nobody cares about Korea,it's world domination not Korean domination lol

It also doesn't matter cause Koreans will support NJ/BP nevertheless

Labels certainly care about Korea.

Youtube is still imminently more accessible globally and it's more dynamic with video hosting.

So right now YouTube is still the ultimate gauge.

But it’s kind of a strange tact to say one label puts more effort in one platform over the other. Particularly with YG vs Hybe...

Especially considering YG is the digital music distributor for Hybe. ^^

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• World domination not Korean domination also it doesn't how BP/NJ promote, Koreans will listen nevertheless

regardless of what people think Korea is still kpop main target if you do well in Korea you more likely do well overseas I mean that's the ideal scenario and how blackpink have been performing on both. Having good streams in Korea is important and so far youtube is Korea's main music stream/most used social media.

• regardless of what people think Korea is still kpop main target if you do well in Korea you more likely do well overseas I mean that's the ideal scenario and how blackpink have been performing. Having good streams in Korea is important and so far youtube is Korea's main music stream/most used social media.

yeah, youtube is cool but that's not even the most important one. All global fans pick what group to success stan by looking at melon. It's always been that way. How do u think IU became that popular?

What's needed is dominating on melon + relatively new to the scene + good music by kpop standards is the perfect recipe for global success. ive,aespa,newjeans after seeing all their rise i'm convinced more than ever. But that's at the start of careers. Then all they have to do is keep the consistency on melon like iu does/ or like twice used to and we are looking at top top groups. aespa were not consistent and suffered a setback. wonder what gonna happen to ive and newjeans. will they make it to the very top like iu/twice/bp?

• yeah, youtube is cool but that's not even the most important one. All global fans pick what group to success stan by looking at melon. It's always been that way. How do u think IU became that popular?

What's needed is dominating on melon + relatively new to the scene + good music by kpop standards is the perfect recipe for global success. ive,aespa,newjeans after seeing all their rise i'm convinced more than ever. But that's at the start of careers. Then all they have to do is keep the consistency on melon like iu does/ or like twice used to and we are looking at top top groups. aespa were not consistent and suffered a setback. wonder what gonna happen to ive and newjeans. will they make it to the very top like iu/twice/bp?

keyword is consistency and be able to do well on all platforms .

about IU yeah I agree but remember those are other times though while melon is still and important as music streaming service is starting to decline

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

my point is that blackpink is consistent in all of those sure they focus more on youtube but there is a reason for it

• Spotify/YT music/Apple music/Amazon music

That's where hits are made nowadays

If it spills into YT then it's a global hit & nowadays only few acts can get a true global hit & one (or 2 if yg is smart) are headlining Coachella this year

YG should push Spotify more, YT has peaked

• YT ≠ YT music

YT music is Korea's most used platform

YG should prioritize Spotify since yt has already peaked & is losing listeners everyday

• Bottom line...

Kpop is and always has been a visual genre, that's how it gained globally.

It will continue to be a visual genre along with the music as opposed to just a primarily music-based one.

Unless some of yall intend to brush up on your Korean ^^

With that said:

Youtube = 2 billion users

Spotify = 381 million

/thread

YG Family

1080x360

• Bp got good playlisting on spotify too. it's not a problem at all. the main problem the inconstitency to release their their music if you look at new jeans before their album dropped ditto is only pulling 2M streams and then after OMG release it goes to top 10 of spotify and increase it's streams and not to mention hype boy re entered again. it is same thing for any group both pink venom and shut down still charting on spotify but if yg releases something now it will help these songs on spotify to rise and also their longetivity

• Idk why

YT is so easy to use and makes streaming easy

idk why people pay to listen to music :boredr: unless you're buying the physical album or is using iTunes, you shouldn't need to pay for music.

I think YT is more accessible to people compared to Spotify

I just don't see the point in Spotify :pepe-tea:

• Idk why

YT is so easy to use and makes streaming easy

idk why people pay to listen to music :boredr: unless you're buying the physical album or is using iTunes, you shouldn't need to pay for music.

I think YT is more accessible to people compared to Spotify

I just don't see the point in Spotify :pepe-tea:

Personally (since I have Spotify premium), it’s easier to listen to music using Spotify, and use less battery (on mobile). And when I’m jogging or hiking, my watch (Garmin) has Spotify so I don’t have to bring my phone along. It’s the convenience for me.

• Personally (since I have Spotify premium), it’s easier to listen to music using Spotify, and use less battery (on mobile). And when I’m jogging or hiking, my watch (Garmin) has Spotify so I don’t have to bring my phone along. It’s the convenience for me.

Respected and i understand :yesr:

i think YT is just easier for me cause i can listen and watch stuff without an account is a big reason why i use YT so often and so much :sadr:

• Oh man, spotify must be pissed right now. They tried so hard to break into SKR too just to get clowned on by a service people were ignoring until recently(like last few years). I know one of the things that hurt spotify in skr is there's no free version. is YT music free there?

• YT is not averaging 2 billion users monthly anymore more like 1B & 80% is in India or something 💀

Spotify is actually at 450M

• Bp got good playlisting on spotify too. it's not a problem at all. the main problem the inconstitency to release their their music if you look at new jeans before their album dropped ditto is only pulling 2M streams and then after OMG release it goes to top 10 of spotify and increase it's streams and not to mention hype boy re entered again. it is same thing for any group both pink venom and shut down still charting on spotify but if yg releases something now it will help these songs on spotify to rise and also their longetivity

Ofc, the best promo is actually constantly releasing music but yg can't do that either 🚶

• Blackpink needs to change labels if they want consistent release. Not the Black Label because it will be worse.

It won't be worse cause it'll be what the pinks choose

Moving to TBL doesn't mean moving to a new company,it means moving to their "5th member/main Producer" label

Kinda like if RM starts a label & BTS members go there, do u think he will force them to do what they don't want?

If less CB is what the pinks want,it's what they will get, if it's the opposite,it's what they will do under teddy 😌

• This thread contains 26 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!