It should become Mandatory for Charts to include the amount of album versions and prices when they post the sales data

• I think this won't be a matter if the kpop fandom didn't make this as an achievement.

Or if they still want to brag about this, then I do agree with you and the criteria should be changed from:

"The most sales"

Into

"The most generated revenues"

Because like you said, multi version and cheap price could indeed inflate the sales count.

And in the end sales is sales..

But if you changed it to revenue counts, it'll shows a different level. Which is another perfect thing for kpop fandom to brag about.

Like instead of "X had 1M album sales" would have a different impact from "X had generated 1M usd revenue from their album sales"

• I actually talked about before. Just see the Hanteo's physical index since the ranking depends on the revenue made. Sadly, SK is not as transparent as Oricon Japan when it comes to giving details. Hopefully, SK will follow suit.

Screenshot (4).png

• You got it backward, it should be mandatory for Companies to register Versions because it could be illegal for a Music Chart to decide the Versions but most of all. Tt would be a waste of money to go through the thousands of normal albums then the more thousands of "Versions" for a Music Chart only for a Company to sue their asses for misrepresenting the numbers.

• Oh interesting. That's how movie success is tracked. I could see that. Ofc you would have to adjust for inflation for records though

• I'm a Carat and I personally don't buy kpop albums but I do agree with alot of kpop stans about this album issue.

Not only is it really bad for our planet, but its like isn't one album enough?.... I don't understand why we need so many versions, yes I know its a money grab for companies but still.

• I feel like people like taking advantage of the fact that Carats have abandoned AKP because of individuals like the OP to spread misinformation and unsolicited hate towards Seventeen.

People often forget that Seventeen has achieved 1.5M sales with three versions Heng:Garae [2020], 1.1M sales with just one version from Semicolon [2020], again 1.3-1.5M sales with 3 versions for Your Choice [2021], recently reached 2.3M with 3 standard versions and 1 carat version for Attacca [2021], and then 3M with 5 standard versions for their 3rd full album after years, Face The Sun [2022]. If anything, Seventeen has been one the few groups with the most consistent sales growth ever since their debut.

People bash Seventeen for photo-cards as if Seventeen doesn’t have a line up consisting of 13 individuals, and them being one of the biggest groups after NCT in terms of members.

Also, I don’t understand where people are getting these double-digit versions from when in reality Seventeen only has 5 standard versions, 1 Carat Version, and a Target Version for Face The Sun— the total roughly coming to 7 versions. Regardless, this was their 3rd full album after 2018, that’s 3 whole years of waiting! Of course, Carats were expected to go all out.

Adding on, I just want to address the concern that someone raised in regards to Seventeen’s streams don’t matching their album sales. That’s a very inaccurate assumption.

They were literally one of the only 5 k-acts to surpass 1B (1.1B to be precise) Spotify streams last year, especially considering Seventeen aren’t considered digimons. Let’s consider S.Kor, literally no one aside from BTS, BB, SVT, and NCT Dream is actually charting or gaining streams from the boy groups department. Seventeen was also one of the most streamed boy groups in 2022 in South Korea. In one calendar year, they’ve gained roughly a total of 3.13B cumulative streams from major platforms (such as 1.1B Spotify, 600M MelOn, 1.0B YT, & 430M Circle Digital Chart). They are probably one of few groups that actually match their streams and tour numbers.

They played huge domes and arenas during their tour and fan meetings in 2022, with an estimated attendance of 600k (possibly even more) in-person attendees.

So, yes, considering all their achievements, sales, streams, tours, they are indeed a top group. There is a reason their own South Korean government acknowledges their contributions by awarding them with Prime Minister’s Commendation and Minister of Culture, Sports, and Tourism for two years straight. And the fact they use their variety content, Going Seventeen for tourism in their embassies shows their wide reach and top status.

• I'm a Carat and I personally don't buy kpop albums but I do agree with alot of kpop stans about this album issue.

Not only is it really bad for our planet, but its like isn't one album enough?.... I don't understand why we need so many versions, yes I know its a money grab for companies but still.

I mean, that is the real answer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!