Your Kpop predictions for 2023

• Which group will smash or flop, which group's debut will impact the industry?

Approved the thread.
  • IVE will continue to have huge hit songs.

New jeans and LSRF will continue to do well with top 5 hit songs

Aespa will come back with a smash hit song.

A non BTS/Big Bang boy group will finally have another real hit song in SK and it won't be a 4th gen bg. My money's on NCT Dream.

Gidle's next song won't do as well as tomboy and nude

Itzy will continue to grow their fanbase and have international success but won't chart as well in SK. Stray kids too.

TXT/Enhypen will continue to grow their fanbase but the new HYBE girl groups will continue to outshine them hits wise.

• aespa proving to everyong why they are #1 with another national hit

ive declining heavily

newjeans flopping (debut peak)

lesserafim doing mid

gidle probs declining too

surprise smash from stayc

YGNGG and SMNGG snatching everyone

• What’s up with the IVE/NJ flopping declining stuff in here💀 sorry but they on a way up no flopping for them

BLACKPINK April 2023 comeback!!!!!!!

• Ive domination again

Aespa hit

G idle hit

Lesserafim either will do better than NJ or NJ will be the main rival of Aespa and Ive, no inbetween

YGNGG debut will make other ggs look like has beens (Ive excluded)

Trainee A debut will be a major success and bring hype to bgs again

SMNBG tease

• Either YGNGG or The Black Label GG will be the final 4th gen leader. They’ll be able to dominate domestically and internationally.

• BTS will still remain as the #1 group despite no group activity :-)

• LSFM will be on the same level as IVE and NJ. They are very clearly on the rise, massive growth in both Korea and internationally.

I have no clue who will be the "#1 group" or if there even will be one. I have a feeling NJ and IVE will keep beating each others records with each comeback. NJ comeback will do some absurd numbers and then IVE will comeback with an album. I do not see any reason why they would decline, the companies behind them are very strong and do a lot of things right. Starship is literally all in on this, the entire company is now IVE at least financially. It's a company with a long history of releasing quality songs, there's simply no way they would fuck it up with this much at stake.

I suspect nobody will be able to shake this trio up. Everyone talks about YGNGG but currently in Korea BP themselves are struggling to match these groups. Internationally it's a completely different story. I don't think the new GG will have as much support as BP. BP is still very much the worlds top GG and not on the decline in any way, the way I see it.

• As BTS is in hiatus kpop will steadily decline in relevance in the west (where it really matters to be relevant). The BTS members will continue to find acclaim both in sales and in critical acclaim with their projects. The rest of kpop will continue to be carbon copies of each other and continue the endless circle jerk of meaningless achievements.

• same as every year. stans battle stans

it was 2nd vs 3rd gen, then 3rd to 4th, prob somewhere someone will argue a 5th gen or some crap and it repeat lol. kpop continue it saturated market and materialistic tradition, fans spamming awards, the west, influences, sales sales sales, charts charts charts.

most controversial take? every fandom will come together and cheered for each other, giving harmony to the kpopverse.

• LSFM will be on the same level as IVE and NJ. They are very clearly on the rise, massive growth in both Korea and internationally.

I have no clue who will be the "#1 group" or if there even will be one. I have a feeling NJ and IVE will keep beating each others records with each comeback. NJ comeback will do some absurd numbers and then IVE will comeback with an album. I do not see any reason why they would decline, the companies behind them are very strong and do a lot of things right. Starship is literally all in on this, the entire company is now IVE at least financially. It's a company with a long history of releasing quality songs, there's simply no way they would fuck it up with this much at stake.

I suspect nobody will be able to shake this trio up. Everyone talks about YGNGG but currently in Korea BP themselves are struggling to match these groups. Internationally it's a completely different story. I don't think the new GG will have as much support as BP. BP is still very much the worlds top GG and not on the decline in any way, the way I see it.

YG new gg has a huge chance to rise as the top gg if BP doesn't renew.

• I will predict kinda random stuff too for fun idc

GG

Aespa's next title track will be either electro-rock inspired, or a lighter take on their usual sound, future bass, synthwave, synthpop, perhaps bitpop, or heavily rnb based with futuristic instrumentals. Either way, it will be an arguably more mainstream take on their concept. It will be received well domestically, although it won't be an instant hit. New CF might do more for them than people would first assume, China popularity might increase even more. SME will continue to push them in the US market, and it will continue to be a mediocrely successful effort. They might have another English pre-release. A member will have a minor drama role.

Itzy will promote in the US and Japan quite a lot. They might only have one Korean comeback. This comeback will either lean heavily into the y2k trend or be a grandiose full-blown girl crush concept. The sound of the song will be considered typical for Itzy, but evolved in a way. Short lived domestic viral moments that benefit their core fandom growth. New variety content becomes really popular. Subunit debut.

Lesserafim will began promoting in the US more heavily, if Hybe sends them to the right events and shows, and give them the right song, they might gain traction and become strong contenders for the most popular 4th gen gg in the US, but won't be competition to Blackpink yet. They might also have a Japanese cb later in the year, which might have a jirai-kei aesthetic (since it's currently popular with Japanese teen girls and can possibly suit their concept) mixed with y2k, and it will be successful. At least one English pre-release. Perhaps collaboration with an American singer. Korean cb will follow the latin/reggaeton trend too.

IVE will...well I'm sure their next comeback will be successful again. But I'm not so sure about a potential second Korean comeback. It might do worse than their previous songs. I think so simply because no 4th gen gg could release hit after hit for a long time, and because they might have competition in NJ. The public gets bored of ggs quick no matter how infatuated they might seem. We'll see. One member might get a minor drama role. One summer themed song.

(G)I-DLE will keep doing the empowering concept with a different sound, whatever will be trendy probably. Unless knetz are in a bad mood it will do well.

Blackpink might have a comeback again and it will be successful as expected, the song might be more LSG than Shut Down. Rosé will have a cameo in a western series.

Kara will do surprisingly well.

New Jeans continue to be very successful in Korea, maybe debut in Japan around the end of the year, but fail to grow at the same rate outside Asia.

Nmixx will next come back with a mini album, with a title track that's more digestible than O.O and Dice but still has a chaotic, funky sound. If knetz like it, Sullyoon will go viral every other day for the rest of 2023. If not, the next comeback will be definitely more public friendly. Lily will feature for another artist. Lightstick and mascots (which might end up being alien animals since SKZ and Itzy already have mostly normal animals) will be announced and released. In that case, at least one fursuit performance is likely. SQU4D might start doing funny teasers like SKZ did a while ago.

Loona disband, legal proceedings go on for a while, in the meantime the girls release a song for the fans indpendently of the company.

Billlie continue to have complex lore focused comebacks, they still don't become a top gg, but they keep gaining fans steadily.

Twice have another solo debut and a MiSaMo debut, group comeback will not be particularly cute, maybe daring for Twice's standards even.

Red Velvet will next come back with a velvet concept.

BG

BTS might release a surprise group single or two they recorded as seven this year. Hybe still relies on them heavily, so I could see them planning ahead like this.

Stray Kids release a full album in 2Q and a repackage in late 3Q/early 4Q. Or maybe no repackage idk. Japanese cb with a mini album in the second half of the year. It will be considered a brand new chapter for Stray Kids, a second God's Menu in a way. The title track might have a slightly angstier edge like pre-God's Menu title tracks. Sales, streams all skyrocket. Might do another anime op/ed, in the first half of the year. Might release an English version of an existing song. Conflicts with Republic Records might come to light. Involvement in Deadpool 3 soundtrack is at least officially announced, although it might not be, given the movie is set for 2024. (But there's a 95% chance of it happening.) They might have a massive viral moment on the English-speaking part of the internet, due to something Chan says. Div1 will definitely get massive criticism for something stupid they do.

Seventeen release another English song. Hybe will continue pushing them in the US market, but they won't exceed 80k first week unit sales, even with gimmicks. Not like that's too bad in the grand scheme of things. Maybe a collaboration with a Western singer.

NCT Dream will continue with incredible achievements in sales, Korean digitals will be pretty strong for a bg too, but no domestic hit. Asian popularity rises, Western popularity grows more slowly, if doesn't stagnate.

NCT 127 release a surprisingly mainstream Korean title track, then Touch 2.0, and a ballad with heartcrushing vocals and memed lyrics. Some trainees cut from the new non-nct group not because they are bad but because they don't fit the concept will be added to NCT.

TXT have two Korean comebacks, an English single, at least one English feature, and maybe a feature on a mid-tier South American singer's song. Will probably make songs similar to those two that were popular on tiktok for a while, unless a new trend starts in the west out of sudden. Small cameo in a mid-tier drama? Potentially a digital solo release for Yeonjun with a proper MV but no promotions?

Enhypen might have a comeback with a softer, brighter concept. Or it might echo Fever. Either way their producers will attempt to recreate their viral tiktok moments. 2023 might be the year to decide whether they or TXT will be the more successful Hybe bg, since I just don't see both doing equally well on a long run due to their somewhat similar niches. Moderate US promo?

If Loud end up debuting at all, their title song might be co-produced by 3RACHA; since JYP bgs don't really have people "waiting for them" from the beginning the company might use this to get them attention. Of course it also depends on what division they would be put in, since there's at least one that has a strained relationship with div1.

Ateez might do a really unexpected concept. Or they won't, and their upcoming juniors will.

Treasure will come back with a cool concept again, then a bright concept. Unless they go viral they will grow slowly.

• BTS will remain a force to be reckoned with GLOBALLY. They will continue to be a wall that other kpop groups wish to climb up to.

The remaining BTS members will be dropping either Album or a single before enlisting. Each one of them will be commercially successful and critically acclaimed.

J-hope will perform in another major US or UK music festival and will again sell out tickets to his show. It will be another critically acclaimed performance.

BTS members will be nominated for MMA and MAMA once again, even in their absence. They may not win all of the nominations but they will win some and WILL get another daesang.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!