I live in Greece and I'm wondering if I'm living in a dictatorship these days.
Do you consider the below measures extreme?
- Going out ONLY after sending an SMS to a certain government number, carrying your ID citing the specific reason you're going out.
- Not allowed to go out from 6pm to 5am unless it's an emergency (like going to the doctor or the pharmacy) and walking your dog.
- Paying a fine of 300€ (convert this to your currency) for going out without wearing a mask or if the police judges you're out without a plausible reason. (even if you forgot your ID). You pay 3000€ if you have over 9 people in your house. Or if they suspect you're hosting a party.
- Close EVERY business besides a few take away food businesses, super markets and pharmacies for about 4 months in a row (still going, most closed ones are bankcrupt now, receiving only 500€ a month for compensation, even with people having their families starving).
- Not being allowed to go back to the city where your school is unless it's the Army or Doctor school, or if you work there.
And all these with the infections being higher than summer when we were open and free without masks. The infected numbers are only rising with these measures, so why is this going on if its ineffective? Don't you think it's extreme?
In the meantime, the Prime Minister breaks his own measures and has a party with 30 people in an island, no masks, with the police guarding him. And going on a ski trip with his wife and having the audacity to share it.
Also, the police force seems to have fun with it, as they're paid a bonus for the number of fines they give to people, as well as using their power to use violence against anyone who questions their authority.
We started rioting, we receive no apology, the governemt is not quitting for failing so miserably and I noticed the foreign media still tells people in Greece dealed well with the pandemic. I, as an inhabitant, see only our financial and health demise.
Please tell me what you think about it, as people from other countries. I'm honestly very curious at this point, I think I'm going crazy, living like that for 4 months now. I can't go out without thinking that they're going to give me a fine if they're not in a good mood. Seriously! I believe we're almost a dictatorship at this point.