60% of the respondents in an opinion poll conducted by National Assembly Defense Committee support alt service for BTS

• Screenshot_2022-09-18-11-12-01-35_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

[단독] 국회 ‘BTS 병역특례’ 여론조사… 찬성 60.9%
    방탄소년단(BTS)의 병역특례 여부를 둘러싼 논란이 계속되는 가운데 국회 국방위원회가 직접 여론조사를 한 것으로 확인됐다. 해당 조사에선 BTS와 같은 대중문화예술인의 대체복무에 찬성한다는 응답이 60.9%로 나타났
    n.news.naver.com

Turns out that phone call was from the govt

Edited once, last by paradis ().

• paradis

Changed the title of the thread from “60% of the respondents in an opinion poll conducted by National Assembly Defense Committe support alt service for BTS” to “60% of the respondents in an opinion poll conducted by National Assembly Defense Committee support alt service for BTS”.
  • I hope they get alt service and accept it as they deserve :finger-heart:

the government is dumb as hell but constantly dragging this shit out and discussing it you just make everyone more mad. Either do it, grant them alt service, or shut the fuck up about it. The South Korean government is king at dragging their feet on shit.

• Can someone tell me what alt service is?

basically like do non combat training stuff. For instance I believe TOP from Big Bang was like a traffic cop or something. I dont know if BTS will get something similar but basically it means doing something non military as service

• Why does this matter? I thought BTS wants to go so even if they are granted exemption they will just go anyways.

That sounds like kpop fans bitter wish and not reality. BTS has never said they would go even if given an exemption. They said they would go if/when they are called to by the government. The government has not called on any BTS member to enlist because they probably wanted to give BTS exemptions. They just don’t want to face any backlash about it.

• Why does this matter to you? Lol.

The SK government is just annoying with this shit. If the boys themselves already stated what they are going to do then they should either accept that or grant them the exemption. Instead of discussing it like this for years on end. Whether they go or not can then be up to them. But having this constant discussion over years is dumb as hell.

• Can someone tell me what alt service is?

It is a boot camp and 544 hours of military service, which is essentially 22 days. Son Heungmin got alt service too and he trained for 3-4 weeks in military.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Screenshot 2022-09-18 at 9.25.37 AM.png

• I hope a decision can be made soon so they can move forward with their group activities.

Yes, we need a decision in the next few weeks asap because Jin has to leave by Dec 2022 unless his deadline is Dec 2023 which is how it normally is for most idols since it is before completion of the birthday they have to enlist by...in that case we get a year more. We shall know soon either ways.

• basically like do non combat training stuff. For instance I believe TOP from Big Bang was like a traffic cop or something. I dont know if BTS will get something similar but basically it means doing something non military as service

That is incorrect, you are talking about civilian service. Alt service is pretty much as close to an exemption. Civilian service does not mean exemption, it is only given for medical reasons and means you have to serve another additional 6 months apart from the regular 18 months.

What BTS might get is this which was given to Son Heungmin.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It is a boot camp and 544 hours of military service, which is essentially 22 days. Son Heungmin got alt service too and he trained for 3-4 weeks in military.

Screenshot 2022-09-18 at 9.25.37 AM.png

Wait, I thought Son Heungmin was exempt?

• Why does this matter? I thought BTS wants to go so even if they are granted exemption they will just go anyways.

They never said this. Jin said that they will go 'if' they are called to serve in the military. No further comments beyond that. Besides, if we're being honest a great majority of male koreans are not that happy to stall 2 years of their lives serving in the military instead of doing what they should be doing in those missed 2 years. That's why many Korean males are not happy about BTS possibly getting that 'exemption/alt service' or 'special treatments'.

They said they’d go if they were called. They havent been called yet. No one said if they’re granted exemption they’ll just go. If anything, their friends (see: eAeon, Namjoon’s friend) support the alt service issue.

• I really detest the National Assembly. We know BTS have immeasurably strengthened the spread of the Hallyu wave to the lucrative Western market, winning not only numerous prestigious awards but also helping KPOP become more mainstream with their popularity and boosting the distribution of KPOP albums. They have represented their country well, accompanying the former President Moon and visiting the White House to represent halting Asian hate, along with other well known Asian celebrities and media personalities. They've brought national prestige and increased tourism to S Korea.

Yet these indecisive idiots keep dithering, twiddling their thumbs and dragging it out. Shit or get off the pot already.

END RANT

• I guess this is the less controversial alternative. Cause I read somewhere else that other conducted polls showed that the majority are against a complete exemption and it was surprisingly the younger generation that was opposing it. Probably because it’s a topic closer to them then the older generation.

I also want to mention that the majority doesn’t like this whole exemption thing at all. It was implemented during dictatorship in the 80s to have National heroes (classical musicians, athletes) ( so the citizens didn’t voted for it) and in 2002 the majority agreed that every athlete that enters the semifinals at the Olympics should get an exemption too… all because of the enthusiasm they had… 20 years later they think differently about it. But once giving benefits through constitution, you can’t take it away.

So it’s not surprising that the government is hesitant with the decision or are looking for alternatives. They afraid they might piss off the citizens of Korea. That’s why all these polls etc, so they can make a decision with the least backlash.

• They never said this. Jin said that they will go 'if' they are called to serve in the military. No further comments beyond that. Besides, if we're being honest a great majority of male koreans are not that happy to stall 2 years of their lives serving in the military instead of doing what they should be doing in those missed 2 years. That's why many Korean males are not happy about BTS possibly getting that 'exemption/alt service' or 'special treatments'.

I know this is a serious issue in Korea.

• Yet these indecisive idiots keep dithering, twiddling their thumbs and dragging it out. Shit or get off the pot already.

I think them being indecisive has more to with bureaucracy. They are about to implement a new bill that will be part of the constitution of Korea. They have to decide what the standards are, they can’t use international achievements cause Koreans are to patriotic for that. But the standards can’t be to low cause not everyone should get an exemption. With athletes or classical musicians it was easy, if they win gold or win a competition for their country they get an exemption. Something easy to measure. But how do you measure the achievements of musicians and then create a standard out of it ? They can achieve things in so many different fields, which of them should they pick ? I think DKDKTV described the struggles in creating the new bill and why this and the publics receptions is the cause of the delay pretty good. The new bill can’t be just for them, so it’s making things complicated.

So idk, maybe it’s even in BTS favor that they are not rushing with a decision, cause the wrong decision could cause backlash by the citizens. I guess this alternative service is the best solution at the moment.

• I think them being indecisive has more to with bureaucracy. They are about to implement a new bill that will be part of the constitution of Korea. They have to decide what the standards are, they can’t use international achievements cause Koreans are to patriotic for that. But the standards can’t be to low cause not everyone should get an exemption. With athletes or classical musicians it was easy, if they win gold or win a competition for their country they get an exemption. Something easy to measure. But how do you measure the achievements of musicians and then create a standard out of it ? They can achieve things in so many different fields, which of them should they pick ? I think DKDKTV described the struggles in creating the new bill and why this and the publics receptions is the cause of the delay pretty good. The new bill can’t be just for them, so it’s making things complicated.

So idk, maybe it’s even in BTS favor that they are not rushing with a decision, cause the wrong decision could cause backlash by the citizens. I guess this alternative service is the best solution at the moment.

I wasn't expecting anyone to reply to my rant :pepe-peek:

Yea I know all about bureaucracy and how some Koreans today who don't feel the same as those in the past are regretting the law that exempts anyone at all. I'm just tired of the pussyfooting around this. Combine this with the shit show that is the Busan big for the World Expo and I'm about ready to give a sizable amount of people in the government the middle finger.

• Da fuck was the whole anti tirade on "why he deserves exemption while BTS does not" then???

Thing is what most call and consider exemption is actually alt service since in alt service you are basically doing only a month or so service.

• Da fuck was the whole anti tirade on "why he deserves exemption while BTS does not" then???

Exemption doesn't mean you don't have to go to military at all. Even if you are exempt, you still have to complete the basic training for 3 weeks. Son did his 3 weeks during the pandemic at marine corps.

"Son , who turned 28 in July 2020, was granted an exemption to his service by helping South Korea win gold at the 2018 Asian Games - which meant that he was only required to complete basic training over a shorter period of time."

" Tottenham star Son Heung-min has completed his mandatory three-week military service in South Korea, with the Spurs forward reportedly boasting the best performance of all the trainees who had been taking part.

According to information published by the Korea Herald , the attacker finished as one of only five individuals to receive an award at the Marine Corps' training camp graduation ceremony on the southern island of Jeju

While the exact scores of the trainees were not revealed, officials were quoted as saying that Son finished top out of a total of 157 people"

• Also as it primarily concerns males and son is the biggest national hero for Korean males, so the reactions were different for him. Same case with faker. Korean males will probably prefer faker to be exempted.

• This thread contains 19 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!