Hits considered intrinsic to an act, but was originally offered to someone else

• The world of fan perceptions is very different from industry reality.

Fans think that X song or Y song, could not have been performed by anyone else but their faves. But the reality is that composers, songwriters, producers assemble a song from different sources and shop it around to many artists, until someone picks it up and releases it, which might then become a hit.

Examples are,

"Into the new world" was meant for M.I.L.K's second album, they disbanded, so was given to the new group SM was debuting - Girls Generation.

"Love Dive", was offered to Sunmi (among others), but was picked up finally by Starship for IVE, going on to be a hit.

Pretty much 99% of songs produced can be performed by any idol/act.

What other such cases are there, where an iconic song was originally offered or meant for one act, but eventually was released by another to great success?

• I know Lucky Star was written for SHINee but they didn't want it. So SM gave it to Exo.

Jonghyun wrote cocktail for Taemin, Taemin tried it but decided it was out of his range. Jonghyun take it back for himself.

The joke is that Taemin rejected Jjongs cock.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• And Jonghyun wrote 'Gloomy Clock' for himself/Shinee, but IU snagged it from him.

Well she really wanted that song and I think she did a great job expressing the essence of it

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Well she really wanted that song and I think she did a great job expressing the essence of it

More than song, I think it is such creative interactions between artists, that is getting rare by the day.

• More than song, I think it is such creative interactions between artists, that is getting rare by the day.

Yup it really is becoming rare that artists exchange creativity without companies watching over them and trying to cap on it

• I wasn't into Kpop at the time, but people said ITNW wasn't a hit at SNSD's debut it was when they hit big with Gee that ITNW became popular

• I didn't know about Into the new world, I'm surprised

• I wasn't into Kpop at the time, but people said ITNW wasn't a hit at SNSD's debut it was when they hit big with Gee that ITNW became popular

Yes, it became iconic later when it was used for student protests against the govt.

• This one is shocking. Le herself composed and wrote it with S.Tiger. I don't understand how they needed Jessi to make them realize that the song was a perfect fit for her own group (every part fit the members so well)

Because as mentioned in the OP - most songs aren't really that custom to the act, anybody could do it.

Producers/Songwriters shop around, based on which act can turn it into money-spinning hit and not which act are artistically the best..

Brave Brothers for example sold most of his hit songs to others, than give to his own groups - Brave Girls

Even today Ryan Jhun gives his songs to IVE than to his own group BugAboo.

• Yeah it's just that since a member of the group herself made it and her group hadn't comeback in a long time I'm surprised she didn't plan it for her group since the beginning, especially since it sounded like something Exid could totally do. I really have struggle to imagine Jessi on the chorus

• Yeah it's just that since a member of the group herself made it and her group hadn't comeback in a long time I'm surprised she didn't plan it for her group since the beginning, especially since it sounded like something Exid could totally do. I really have struggle to imagine Jessi on the chorus

LE is also a kind of producer in that sense..

Soyeon also has given songs to others

As to the fit..I would think they would tweak the parts of a song after a performer had committed to it.

Overall, this is the reason why G-D, IU type etc. rank high on the authenticity factor..

The audience knows that what they sing is not just emotional performance, but also arises from their own experiences and perspectives.

But that's a small percentage of the songs

• Closer by Oh My Girl was written as a gospel song, but things did not work out and ended up being sold to VM

Link to story

As If It's Your Last by Black Pink was supposed to be a 2NE1 song, but it did not make their album, the rest is history.

Link to Story

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!