How come we never see foreign idols in their cultures traditional outfits around New Years?

• We see Korean idols in hanboks during New Years. Heck, foreign idols wear hanbok instead of clothes from their countries. I'm not saying it's wrong for them to wear hanboks, I just wonder why we never see foreign idols in their cultural attire. Is it disrespectful in Korea to do so or something?

• i think most koreans will take it as an opportunity to hate on the idol, so they just avoid it. or at least that's my take on it.

• If I'm not mistaken Lisa's in HYLT MV was stylized with traditional Thai insignia.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• Chinese idols already get enough hate just for being from China.

• We see Korean idols in hanboks during New Years. Heck, foreign idols wear hanbok instead of clothes from their countries. I'm not saying it's wrong for them to wear hanboks, I just wonder why we never see foreign idols in their cultural attire. Is it disrespectful in Korea to do so or something?

they are in korea and they should appreciate korean culture. remember the mess when yiren didn't bow?

see how different the west's and sk's opinions are on this matter

• Yangyang in Chung-shan (Taiwanese) or Lederhosen (German) would be too funny

EDIT: He used to live in West-Germany so the traditional fashion is of cause not the Lederhosen there, but well, yall only seem to know those as fashion so yeah ...

EDIT 2:

Here is a pic of what people around West-Germany would use (if they do, wich is very low these days)

Deutscher-Trachtentag-scaled.jpg

And thats from Taiwan

b5643545ac946008746db7f1fcd3d8e1.jpg

EDIT 3: that with Germany would also fit to Alex, since he is German

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

Edited 2 times, last by JiminieKookie ().

• Maybe Korean new year is not their new year?

Also not all cultures dress traditionally during new year.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i think most koreans will take it as an opportunity to hate on the idol, so they just avoid it. or at least that's my take on it.

That's really a shame. I might sound ignorant here, but foreign idols should be able to celebrate their culture even if their working in Korea. Especially when Koreans can go around and enjoy food and entertainment from those cultures.

• they aren't talking about mv's but new year shows.

wasn't that in lalisa and not hylt mv? if yes, then it's because it's her solo, if not, then ignore my explanation ^^

It's HYLT. There's an AKP article. The stylist incorporated Thai elements.

Hanbok-modernised-version.jpg

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• That's really a shame. I might sound ignorant here, but foreign idols should be able to celebrate their culture even if their working in Korea. Especially when Koreans can go around and enjoy food and entertainment from those cultures.

unfortunately, korea is a lot more conservative in this manner. and i think a big part of it is that most foreign idols are japenes/chinese and they've always been kinda tense with those two countries

• It's HYLT. There's an AKP article. The stylist incorporated Thai elements.

Hanbok-modernised-version.jpg

i don't think casual fans and non-thais know that. people would think it's just pretty clothes (i'm people lol). i assume op means traditional clothes, not elements and modern designs. yes? no?

• That's really a shame. I might sound ignorant here, but foreign idols should be able to celebrate their culture even if their working in Korea. Especially when Koreans can go around and enjoy food and entertainment from those cultures.

how is this relevant to your question? they are allowed to celebrate their cultures, nobody forbids them to do it privately or publicly. but not on tv, tv is for appreciating korean culture. also, like lulu said

my nation and neighboring nations don't wear traditional clothes during new year. that would be weird

• Maybe Korean new year is not their new year?

Yup

Here in Germany for example it was a while back that people got into a fancy evening dress and suit to atent someone's party but over the years people just started to give a shit, except you are one of the very very few people that goes to atend a special rich people-event or something

Also for the fact that you also see some concerts being streamed on TV would also defeat the purpose of traditional fashion since nobody goes to a festival in a special dress that they most likly not even own and its also quit hard these days to shop for them, especially if you live in a small town and have nowhere else to use it for (there are special clubs where people, mostly older, meet up to do stuff a few times a year where they need these traditional fashion but other than that they also just hang around in normal street clothing the rest of the year. Many people here in Europe just see traditional clothing as unnecesairy and think it was just for fun if you really have to be somewhere like "oh lol one of the bavarian village festivals and Oktoberfest")

And man young people think it looks not good on them, is too pricy, can't be bought that easily like a t-shirt can be bought and you often have no idea where to even wear it and than you might get the weird looks if you dare to wear it on the street somewhere.

I think the foreign idols who are Asian will be stared at in Korea and maybe get some rude coments, probably something political, but those from western countries most likly have not even a clue what people would wear in their homecountry or would also just find it cringe and not wear it and if they would, than I bet that people would make a lot fun of them. I mean just imagine there were 2 foreign idols standing next to eachother, one is from Vietnam, the other one from England and both would wear the traditional fashion. I bet they would make rude comands about the Vietnamese guy and laugh about the British one.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!