why are sones acting like their snsd actresses are all like some huge names in kdrama world?

• Like ok they get lead roles from sm privilege and being from snsd, but as actresses, lets be honest only yoona is making some noise as a film actress (and her acting is oft criticised as well but i ain't wanna sound like a hater), and if we're being generous seohyun has been in some notable projects.

but all the others like sooyoung hasn't made any major splash, yuri has literally been criticised for all her acting. some throw tiffany as an actress as well (musical actress) but she hasn't done any legit kdramas so i wouldn't put her in there.

like sones will put out some tweets like "yeah lol kdrama fans are surprised these actresses are all in one group :-P:-P " but cmon lol aint no one knows those flop dramas.

Approved the thread.
  • so many lies only for the actress line to keep thriving. Cope

• SM stans being SM stans. Even yoona is not as huge as Suzy wbk

• I liked Seohyun in that BDSM drama. Idk about the others, I hope Yoona is ok cause I wanna watch Big Mouth for my man Lee Jong Suk.

• Yuri's last few dramas have been successful but yeah SNSD as soloists aren't nearly as big as sones like to pretend

• Rival fans getting brave trying to downplay highly watched, highly critically acclaimed and award winning SNSD actresses while there is literally no other gg around that can boast having just 1 well known and established actress in their group yet SNSD have 4.

• actually Sooyoung Seohyun and Yoona are good, Yuri is just too early to tell... Perhaps are you coping?

• Yuri's last few dramas have been successful but yeah SNSD as soloists aren't nearly as big as sones like to pretend

It's not about them being big names (if we're being honest the amount of big idol actresses can be counted on one hand, everyone being big in SNSD's actress line is impossible), it's that SNSD was inactive for so long that k-drama fans have discovered the members through their acting roles, and are obviously surprised that they're all part of the same group. A lot of k-drama fans don't care much for K-pop.

• They are all very mediocre at acting and I’m saying this as a kdrama fan. SNSD privilege is real as in they get roles because they are from SNSD not because they are good at it or deserve it. Junho from 2PM is good though!

• It's not about them being big names (if we're being honest the amount of big idol actresses can be counted on one hand, everyone being big in SNSD's actress line is impossible), it's that SNSD was inactive for so long that k-drama fans have discovered the members through their acting roles, and are obviously surprised that they're all part of the same group. A lot of k-drama fans don't care much for K-pop.

Everyone knows they are SNSD. Kdrama stans definitely know it because it's physically impossible for them to not name drop the group in every interview they do for clout.

Rival fans getting brave trying to downplay highly watched, highly critically acclaimed and award winning SNSD actresses while there is literally no other gg around that can boast having just 1 well known and established actress in their group yet SNSD have 4.

SNSD had Yoona and that's it.

They don't win any major awards and the ratings and reviews for most of the other works is sketchy at best.

• So SNSD actresses are nugu or whatever yet there the ones who have high ratings, critical acclaim or constant string of roles to play.

Meanwhile there have been hundreds of thousands of ggs since them and only a small spattering of members have made any long lasting acting careers

• So SNSD actresses are nugu or whatever yet there the ones who have high ratings, critical acclaim or constant string of roles to play.

Meanwhile there have been hundreds of thousands of ggs since them and only a small spattering of members have made any long lasting acting careers

They can seethe and cope about "but but but it's because they're SNSD, that must be why they're always hired again"!!! As if directors give a shit about that when they're reviewing auditions.

But honestly the amount of projects the actress line has these last few years is exceptional, I'm hoping this continues and their hard work is rewarded.

• Everyone knows they are SNSD. Kdrama stans definitely know it because it's physically impossible for them to not name drop the group in every interview they do for clout.

SNSD had Yoona and that's it.

They don't win any major awards and the ratings and reviews for most of the other works is sketchy at best.

Yuri Bossam got 10% on a nugu channel and became the channels most watched series of any kind all time.

Seohyun Private Lives on Netflix was one the most watched dramas in Korea for most of its run. She's going to in a couple blockbuster movies soon. She's won awards for acting too.

Sooyoung while not as prolific drama wise has been highly praised as an actress since her best first drama, bagged a few awards and still gets regular dramas.

Yoona has 2 smash git movies and been nominated and winning best actress awards

Tell me any other gg that has at least 1 of its members be comparable to any of them for such a long period of time. There isn't any gg around. Not Twice. Not RV. Not BP. Not Mamamoo. Not any 4th gen gg. The only comparable ones career wise are IU and Suzy, both individuals (well Suzy was in Miss A but let's be honest it basically Suzy + 3 lol).

SNSD meanwhile has 4 high profile actresses. If you consider that weak or flop then every single other gg is dead in a ditch lol.

• They can seethe and cope about "but but but it's because they're SNSD, that must be why they're always hired again"!!! As if directors give a shit about that when they're reviewing auditions.

But honestly the amount of projects the actress line has these last few years is exceptional, I'm hoping this continues and their hard work is rewarded.

Exactly. If someone can name any other gg with members having successful long running acting careers I'd like to see them. The only comparable actresses are IU and Suzy both solos. SNSD has not 1. Not 2. Not 3. But 4 in 1 group.

• Exactly. If someone can name any other gg with members having successful long running acting careers I'd like to see them. The only comparable actresses are IU and Suzy both solos. SNSD has not 1. Not 2. Not 3. But 4 in 1 group.

What difference does it make for acting, whether they are from an idol group or solo?

Weird.

Anyway the only one of the SNSD who has good weight as an actress is Yoona, because of it ness than an talent.

Otherwise are just passable.

Only Yoona has work comparable to IU or Suzy.

And there is a long list of idols with better acting portfolio - Seo Hyun Jin, Jang Nara, Yoon Eun Hye etc.

• It's nice of you to compare Seohyun Sooyoung Yuri to the biggest idol actresses of their generation.

But then you bring up actresses who began their careers before SNSD even debuted, and continued to act while SNSD was performing across the world. By comparison SNSD's actress line only began prioritizing their individual careers a few years ago, of course their portfolios don't compare yet. But the fact that you had to go that far back also shows how hard it is to enter and stay in the industry, which is what the actress line has done while many of their contemporaries failed to do so.

P.S. Yoon Eun Hye hasn't done a drama/film project since 2019, might wanna dig even deeper

• Exactly. If someone can name any other gg with members having successful long running acting careers I'd like to see them. The only comparable actresses are IU and Suzy both solos. SNSD has not 1. Not 2. Not 3. But 4 in 1 group.

lol the 3 snsd girls are nowhere close to IU and Suzy. Even Yoona is considered a tier below.

• As far as idol actresses go snsd is at the top only behind suzy and maybe sejeong lately you just cope because your faves can't sing dance or act

• Nah but this is true. Yoona is the only one with any legit hype. Seohyun is only known for that BDSM film on Netflix, Yuri and Sooyoung has yet to get a legit hit project. Yoona is hard carrying the actress line label in SNSD.

When you name other idol actresses, the top ones always have a memorable role, Hyeri and Eunji with Reply, Uee had My Only One (kpop fans may not know but this drama was on like 40-50% viewership rating), Seo Hyun-jin had Another Miss Oh and Doctor Romantic etc., Sejeong recently in Uncanny Counter and Business Proposal.

None of SNSD has these, but at least Yoona was in Exit and Confidential Assignment. Seohyun, Yuri and Sooyoung tbh hasn't had these signature works yet.

• I only know snsd bcos they were loud when twice has surpassed them

• It's nice of you to compare Seohyun Sooyoung Yuri to the biggest idol actresses of their generation.

But then you bring up actresses who began their careers before SNSD even debuted, and continued to act while SNSD was performing across the world. By comparison SNSD's actress line only began prioritizing their individual careers a few years ago, of course their portfolios don't compare yet. But the fact that you had to go that far back also shows how hard it is to enter and stay in the industry, which is what the actress line has done while many of their contemporaries failed to do so.

P.S. Yoon Eun Hye hasn't done a drama/film project since 2019, might wanna dig even deeper

Their contemporaries are second gen, of I am going back, why does this thread referencing 3rd Gen and going forward?

In second gen, SNSD members are no match as actress to their peers IU and Suzy.

Yoona is the closest, the rest 3 are like T-ara Jiyeon etc.

That SNSD started late is irrelevant, that is their/SM'S choice.

Anyway this threat is "seeking confirmation" for a pre determined declaration.

There is no convincing such cases.

And I don't mind at all if SNSD make a good acting career.

But they haven't.

I think Sooyoung should have gone full blown into variety. She is indomitable and hilarious. But her dramas are so so.

Seohyun looks tepid most times. Yuri can't do anything beyond looking pretty.

Yoona is improving with each stint.

Their contemporary IU has overtaken them in both fields, but even her - initial acting stints were meh.. But today she is courted by the likes of Koreeda.

But weirdly this thread differentiates between group idol actors and non group idol actors, as though that has any relevance to their acting roles.

It is ok, they need not be perfect in every way, they have their success in idol-work, good enough.

• not at some ppl claiming snsd are renowned actresses.

if we're going by 2nd gen, there are a lot more idols who have more impressive filmography and actual notable works than the snsd actresses.

suzy and iu are easy ones, i won't go thru them.

hyeri and eunji are some of the more well known ones as well, so is seo hyun jin

someone has already named uee.

nana is up there too.

if we're being honest, even kwon nara is better than them, having been in my mister, itaewon class, bulgasal etc.

you take away the snsd label, and strictly look at their works, only yoona is a stand-out. sure sooyoung, yuri and seohyun are getting lead roles, but their filmography is far from amongst the best idol actresses.

• lol the 3 snsd girls are nowhere close to IU and Suzy. Even Yoona is considered a tier below.

Yoona is 100% bigger than Suzy. Yoona has starred in 2 smash hit movies (confidential assignment and exit), highly critically acclaimed for Miracle which also did well during pandemic and is currently starring in Big Mouth which is getting good ratings and thr number 1/2 watched kdrama on Disney+ in territories showing it. She is in confidential assignment 2 with a bigger role due to his popular she was despite mainly cameo role.

• - Yoona's currently airing drama is the biggest MBC drama of the year, her movies have been box office successes, and Confidential Assignment 2 is expected to succeed this year as well. Not to mention her breakout role in 2008 with a peak rating of 40% and gained her a Baeksang Awards

- Yuri's 2021 drama Bossam was the highest rated drama ever from MBN with 9.8% ratings , won awards at Asia Artist Award and her current drama is no.1 on Wed-Thurs 10pm drama slot.

- Sooyoung won Korea Drama and MBC awards for Spring Days and was in Man Who Sets the Table with peak ratings of 18.9%. Not to mention her supporting role in Run On is one of the most memorable by a lot of Kdrama watchers.

- Seohyun won MBC Best New Actress award with Bad Thief Good Thief which had average ratings of around 10%. Love and Leashes also was in Top 10 most watched OTT movie for a while this year.

All of these works are for them as a main leading role.

Just because you clowns only watch dramas that are trendy in Netflix doesn't mean Korea does the same. There are literally so many dramas airing everyday in different slots and different channels

The only other Kpop group that probably has the similar portfolio is 2PM with Junho, Chansung and Taecyeon. Eventhough it's only Junho that has ever won awards, so I would even put them below Soshi. Other than them I don't see any other group having relatively similar prowess collectively in one group.

Even when comparing to individually, only Hyeri and Suzy I would put above them with their strings of work. But again their collective group work definitely doesn't hold a candle to the Soshi girls.

Also comparing them to 1st gen idols is a compliment not an insult, it took years post their idol years for Seo Hyun Jin, Eugene, Yoon Eun Hye to build their works. Some like Yoon Eun Hye is now even struggling to continue to find works.

While Yoona, Yuri, Sooyoung and Seohyun never let go of their idol identity, yet able to continue to build their individual strengths. We will see them grow even more with these 4 ladies already have more upcoming dramas and films confirmed.

So stay misinformed and mad I guess, won't affect these ladies to get more future works

• idk why Yoona stans put her so above Suzy when at least Suzy is really the main name on some of her dramas

including her next one on Netflix

meanwhile Big Mouse Jongsuk role is bigger and she is getting much more praise and buzz

Confidential Assignment? lmao she was a support in the first one which was a mega success

ofc the next one would hit big too and is not because she is a main now

besides that both are very successful overall

and are the top 3 with IU

each other have doing better in some things and times

so the background matter about these 3

so i think it's really hard to have a honest evaluation about then

everyone will put their favs above including me

-

about the other ones

Sooyoung and Seohyun are nothing in the industry

Yuri is doing better but she has star power? not sure, her actual drama is doing bad bad

she can be a case like Sejeong

• Is it not enough that SNSD were the industry defining group of their era?

Their acting careers so far has not even come close to their achievements and impacts as the Nation's GG.

It is like Federer, Nadal etc., doing golf tournaments or something after their tennis careers and their fans boasting about that they are the best ex-tennis golfers ever.

Morons.

• And we'll keep being happy about SNSD succeeding in whatever projects they pursue, that's how fans work.

• And we'll keep being happy about SNSD succeeding in whatever projects they pursue, that's how fans work.

Fans can. But their acting careers are nowhere as phenomenal as their idol career was.. even with comparison with other idol-actors, but more important with OG actresses, as a GG they were top tier.. but as actress.. even Yoona is not top tier..

Have they won any major acting award, even a nomination for a serious award - Baeksang?

Good for them, happy for them.. but don't set them up for such nonsense.

• and so what? no one is bragging about them being the biggest names in drama and movies, but they are being slowly being recognised for their acting more and more especially during a time when SNSD is inactive and new fans don't know much about 2nd gen groups

I don't see why having a stable portfolio as an actress on top of a legendary group is anything moronic.

• Fans can. But their acting careers are nowhere as phenomenal as their idol career was.. even with comparison with other idol-actors, but more important with OG actresses, as a GG they were top tier.. but as actress.. even Yoona is not top tier..

Have they won any major acting award, even a nomination for a serious award - Baeksang?

Set them up? Honey you're getting mad over tweets like this

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Coming in an saying "aCkhYuAlLy, this top idol is more popular! this idol that debuted in 1995 is more successful! How dare you say people know them!" Like be serious, why are you even mad about this?

• Fans can. But their acting careers are nowhere as phenomenal as their idol career was.. even with comparison with other idol-actors, but more important with OG actresses, as a GG they were top tier.. but as actress.. even Yoona is not top tier..

thet literally have been nominated for Baeksang though

Yoona have been nominated 3 times for Baeksang Awards, and won 1 time for Best New Actress

Seohyun was nominated for Best New Actress in Movie

• resorting to name calling is akin to a toddler throwing a tantrum, unable to express what he wants.

you take things way too personally and sensitively.

• Yoona is 100% bigger than Suzy. Yoona has starred in 2 smash hit movies (confidential assignment and exit), highly critically acclaimed for Miracle which also did well during pandemic and is currently starring in Big Mouth which is getting good ratings and thr number 1/2 watched kdrama on Disney+ in territories showing it. She is in confidential assignment 2 with a bigger role due to his popular she was despite mainly cameo role.

Suzy starred as a main role in one of the most iconic movies in korea in the last decade, architecture 101. It gave her the title "nation’s first love". And IU iirc is the first female singer/actress to attend cannes film festival. So I’d say they are above Yoona.

• your idol could only wish to have career like SNSD tho lol.. they keep landing role whether it is a lead or supporting role, movie gigs.... keep grinding your teeth and hope your idol can be this close to them....

• sm stsns and sones have gone delusional to thibk yoona is the same tier ar iu and suzy

loooooooooooool

• i mean, truth be told, yoona has never been the big star as an actress. she's just famous enough as an idol that she was able to get casted alongside star actors and in big projects, and it's always the male counterpart who carry the project and she's there as an eye candy.

look at all her hit projects

if you look at other idol actresses of her time, the big ones have roles where they "carry" the dramas/films on their names.

like hotel del luna and my mister were all about iu.

or reply 1988 was about hyeri

yoona has yet to have a memorable role with that kind of impact, and she's just happens to be famous enough to be in big productions with big-name actors.

• this is actually a really good point.... same with suzy, she's at the stage in her career where she carries project on her name alone (just look at recent kdrama anna). wondering when yoona will get her breakout main role

• My Mister was not all about IU and neither was R 1998 all about Hyeri, though both gave them huge boosts.

I think Yoona and Hyeri are on the same level.. they get a steady stream of work, popular, yet their projects have not taken them to the very top tier.. of course Hyeri has R-98 as a huge hit and Yoona with C.A.. but they have not repeated the success.

Suzy has proven herself immune to any underperformance.. but frankly she has not had any noticeably underperforming project..

IU is also untouchable for 2 reasons, #1 her continuing immense success in music, the rarity of her acting projects - makes her scarce and in demand resource.

All Yoona needs is a major hit where she has the major role - like HDL for IU, she is very much in reach to the top tier.

Yuri, Sooyoung are not getting anywhere though.. average projects, doing average ratings.

Currently all three have dramas being broadcast and Yoona's is doing the best.

Best luck to them.. but I find this whole thing weird.

Wilt Chamberlain is a basketball legend, there are records which are still unbroken.

After NBA, he played volleyball and did pretty well there too.

But who in the world cares about his volleyball career, when his greatest impact was on baseball.

Like that SNSD and acting, is a mere side note.

• This thread contains 18 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!