We won't know the 4th gen leaders until 5th gen begins

• Let's take 3rd gen as an example. Before 2018, it was considered debatable who the top groups were. Some said it was twice, some said it was exo, some said bts, some said blackpink, even wannaone left a strong impact. However, it was only in 2018 when the debate over the top 3rd gen groups began to end and people accepted bts as the bg leader with their rise to fame in the west and korean digital success. And also BP as well after d4. But 2018 is also noticeable for another reason. It is the year that lots of people consider to be the beginning of 4th gen. So from this we can see that the stabilisation of 3rd gen status was a catalyst for 4th gen. 4th gen began because it became obvious in 2018 that newer groups couldn't compete with the 3rd gen leaders like bts/BP and even twice. This is why we will only be able to identify the true 4th gen leaders when newly debuting groups cannot catch up with them in any metric. All groups now are 4th gen because they can in a way compete with each other, thus meaning there is no 4th gen leader yet. Everyone just needs to hold their horses and wait until newly debuting "4th gen" groups can't compete with the ones before them. That will make it clear who the leaders are and also will show the beginning of the 5th gen.

🍭 iite cool🍭

dpr layouts Tumblr posts - Tumbip.com

• Nah, for Girl groups everyone knew Twice was the queen by 2016.

It was confirmed in 2018 when SNSD could not reclaim their crown.

2019 is debatable between Twice and Black Pink.

But by 2020, everyone knew there was a new queen in town after BP snatched the crown. Their comeback this year is just a reminder that the queen still lives.

BTS, I guess I am not sure what year, but there has been no doubt that they are kings for many years now.

• So do you think for ggs it will be delayed but we'll know the bg leader by the beginning of 5th gen?

🍭 iite cool🍭

• So do you think for ggs it will be delayed but we'll know the bg leader by the beginning of 5th gen?

We will know when BP puts out a "lion heart" type comeback and follows it with a "Holiday".

The public will be ready to replace them by then.

Girl groups just need to concentrate in getting the #2 spot away from Twice, so they will be ready to jump on Black Pink carcass, the way Twice did to SNSD.

For Males, well BTS is supposed to go on hiatus, but it does not seem like any other boygroup is waiting in the wings.

So I do not know what is going on with boygroups.

• Let's take 3rd gen as an example. Before 2018, it was considered debatable who the top groups were. Some said it was twice, some said it was exo, some said bts, some said blackpink, even wannaone left a strong impact. However, it was only in 2018 when the debate over the top 3rd gen groups began to end and people accepted bts as the bg leader with their rise to fame in the west and korean digital success. And also BP as well after d4. But 2018 is also noticeable for another reason. It is the year that lots of people consider to be the beginning of 4th gen. So from this we can see that the stabilisation of 3rd gen status was a catalyst for 4th gen. 4th gen began because it became obvious in 2018 that newer groups couldn't compete with the 3rd gen leaders like bts/BP and even twice. This is why we will only be able to identify the true 4th gen leaders when newly debuting groups cannot catch up with them in any metric. All groups now are 4th gen because they can in a way compete with each other, thus meaning there is no 4th gen leader yet. Everyone just needs to hold their horses and wait until newly debuting "4th gen" groups can't compete with the ones before them. That will make it clear who the leaders are and also will show the beginning of the 5th gen.

Ehhh not really up to 2016 it was EXO who was on top. And then after that it was BTS. We didn’t have to wait to know who was the top group as such. We just had two sections of 3rd gen where two groups were popular.

And BP twice situation is a bit weird because BP have less releases but these group out performed their competition and we knew from first couple of years they were the top group and nothing has changed. No one replaced them.

Unless you have momentous rise like BTS we will know who is going to be a top group within 2 or so years of their debut no need to wait for 5th gen.

I can say with confidence Itzy isn’t going to be a top group.

Aespa are going to remain formidable it won’t change.

Ive have had hit year. Let’s see how their next 12 months goes. Same for LSFM and New Jeans. If these groups don’t reach sales close to Aespa in the next year or so they won’t be top groups.

• I think even though bts were considered a top group in 2016, other groups could still compete with them in at least one metric such as digitals, fandom size or physicals. I think this is where we are now in 4th gen. Newly debuted groups can compete with older 4th gen groups. When we get to the point no one can compete with them, that's 5th gen and we'll know for sure who the 4th gen leader is. Tbh I honestly think for bgs we're approaching the point where newly debuting groups won't be able to compete with the ones before. I just really can't see anyone surpassing stray kids, txt, enhypen, treasure, the boyz or ateez. I think the last of strong 4th gen bg debuts will be when trainee a or smnbg debut. For ggs it's slightly trickier since they have gp attention and with the right song anyone could blow up. It will take longer to identify a 4th gen gg leader just like it took longer for some to 100% guarantee who the 3rd gen gg leader was than the bgs. But honestly this is just a theory, anything can happen.

🍭 iite cool🍭

• I think we won't know yet because Baemon and I-land GG haven't debuted yet and everyone knows they will be the force. Those who are underestimating them are simply delusional. It is true that IVE and Aespa are currently leading the gen tho, achievements speak for themselves.

• I would say that since currently there are many potential candidates for "top" of the 4th GG that more time is needed to see if one does emerge...

Agreed. Many candidates is still on their early year. IVE, NJ, Le Sserafim is not even 1 year old, and Aespa is still in their first on the way to their 2nd year.

both Aespa and IVE needs to hold their trajectory, and both NJ and Le Sserafim still had their first comeback to proving what they got.

both itzy and nmixx could suddenly snatched it, if one day JYP get his mind straight.

and there is Gidle as the dark horse (and maybe kep1er, if someday their company could give them a real song)

also just like the other said, there still other ggs from big company that haven't debuted yet. And we know how much power a gg from a big company would have on debut.

• I feel like people are waiting for 4th gen to surpass 3rd gen similar to when 3rd gen surpassed 2nd gen, but it won't happen because they'd have to surpass 3rd gen leaders BTS (bg, overall) and BP (gg) and those groups still have a gigantic gap between them and the rest.

• And when the 5th gen start(when it should be?) BP were still around or BTS were still around?

Could be 4th Gen will never be the leader. Theres could be a situation where the leader jumped straight to 5th gen group.

• lots of groups are doing well and I think that's a really good thing rather than having someone as outright no.1 - competition begets more competition and hopefully pushes the companies behind the groups to do better

• lots of groups are doing well and I think that's a really good thing rather than having someone as outright no.1 - competition begets more competition and hopefully pushes the companies behind the groups to do better

Yes, and I hope because of this, we won't get that 1 trend only followers, like when BP hit big with girl crush, many also debuting with girl crush, or the cute song trends before them inspired by Twice.

(I'm also hoping there would be more group that are having the sound like Dreamcatcher tho...)

• Maybe newJeans is the start of the 5th generation.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!