So I just started listening to IU.......

• And honestly her songs are so groovy.

I am jamming to Zeze right now! :music-raccoon: Its been on repeat since since yesterday.

people who say that she only sings ballads obviously havent listened to her songs.

Yep some of her songs give me coffee shop vibes but they are so feel-good so you cant help but jam.

One thing I really like about her... she never sings out of her range. there is no exaggerated high notes or straining that some singers love to do. this makes an easy and relaxing listen.

I have actively avoided listening to her ballads because im just not in the mood.

But honestly IU has great songs

• Some singers strain in their songs by wanting to enhance the songs via high notes.

IU doesnt.

I don't necessarily agree with that but she has enough songs that it's not a common feature, Good Day just sticks out for me in that regard.

I went through her entire discography like 2 years ago along with Younha's and I remember feeling a bit disappointed. I'm a big fan of Korean ballads so I feel like her music should have clicked with me more. Though I can appreciate she's more about the lyricism whereas ballads from Taeyeon for example are just incredibly melodic to the ear. That's one thing I thought I'd get from IU that I only got in bits and pieces.

I only ended up adding Lost Child and Above the Time to my playlist (and Eight/Strawberry Moon since), but Above the Time is up there as a favourite

• In another post I just shared this one - Jam Jam:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Though I can appreciate she's more about the lyricism whereas ballads from Taeyeon for example are just incredibly melodic to the ear. That's one thing I thought I'd get from IU that I only got in bits and pieces.

taeyeons ballads and songs in general are amazing. very melodic and she ises her voice really well. She is a clear female favourite of mine. I love her.

I havent listened to IU fully. But compared to taeyeon I would say even her hype songs are lowkey.

• In another post I just shared this one - Jam Jam:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Lovely song. very unique usage of vocals. :)

• She probably has the most varied music out of anyone calling themselves an idol. Out of her 25+ something hits, theres like 3-4 songs that could be said to be actual ballads. Yet people continue to say its the only thing she does...

FWl_nFLacAItQ1n?format=jpg&name=large

• IU's discography and especially b-sides always deserve more appreciation :pepelove1:

Always get annoyed when people claim IU has only managed to stay popular because she only releases "safe" music. lol the same artist who self-produced twenty-three and bbibbi? no one else would be able to do what she does

• People like to reduce things to simplistic labels, and in the case of IU - it is slow, ballad, coffee shop songs.

But that is hardly the truth. She has done quite a bit of range - rock, jazz, R &B, trop etc., different tempos etc., Just take Lilac itself, the songs are hardly similar to each other.

Yes she is not a belter, but then from Good Day to My Sea, she has a selection of high notes, when she needs to.

In any case she herself has answered such things, something to the effect of "You can't satisfy everybody, you have to find what you like and then find people who like the same thing"

And in Korea, nobody is more 'liked' than she is, isn't it?

So good you are exploring her, going beyond the reductionist labels. Have fun.

• She probably has the most varied music out of anyone calling themselves an idol. Out of her 25+ something hits, theres like 3-4 songs that could be said to be actual ballads. Yet people continue to say its the only thing she does...

it's insane how versatile her discography is

out of service

It's varied, but still not enough rap songs for the N°1 Hip-hop artist in Korea :pepenomad:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!