(Poll) Does A User's Age Matter To You?

• Does a User's real age matter to you? 37

1. No (15) 41%
    2. It depends (14) 38%
    3. Yes (8) 22%

I don't mean this on some kind of creeping tip; I'm talking more on the everyday type interactions.

I've noticed ever since I admitted my real age a few years back, some users don't approach me the same way, some stopped interacting with me as a whole.

I get it. If I had a kid who was on here, I would be iffy if some guy almost three times older than them was around on a K Pop message board, even though K Pop is supposed to be an open and accepting forum, you can never be too safe.

That's another reason why I developed the Capybara gimmick: The Capybara allows me to be "creative" without getting personal with other users because the Capybara is an online persona.

I like to think of the Capybara on AKP as a kind of enigma. I never divulge the Capybara's true gender either so that any weird scenarios can be avoided.

Anyways, back on topic, does a user's real age have any effect on how you interact with them?

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• it depends

Yeah, in the past, there were certain instances on this forum where some older users would try hitting on members who were minors.

That's when I decided it would be best to admit my real age. It keeps both sides safe IMO, even though it was at the cost of some users who I thought were really cool to stop interacting with me or being really cold to me.

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• No issue, justas long as the other person is comfortable with me

Yeah, being comfortable is a big issue. There are times when I'm kinda uncomfortable interacting with really young users. Hence my age reveal.

Although I do have experience dealing with kids and teenagers due to my time as a teaching assistant.

• Yeah, being comfortable is a big issue. There are times when I'm kinda uncomfortable interacting with really young users. Hence my age reveal.

Although I do have experience dealing with kids and teenagers due to my time as a teaching assistant.

From the get-go I reveal my age and ask if people are comfortable, especially minors. I don’t engage if they don’t want me to cause I refuse to cross any boundaries. I was also a teaching assistant and now going to school for early childhood education so I also have experience working with kids.

• To play Devil's advocate, because there are some real creeps out there.

True, but anyone can be a creep regardless of age. I mean, I'm not going to start being rude to someone just because they're older or act like their new best friend just because they're close in age to me. I typically act nice to most people, and I'm not going to treat someone different because of their age. Now, if they're being creepy or being rude or stuff like that, then that's a completely different story.

• From the get-go I reveal my age and ask if people are comfortable, especially minors. I don’t engage if they don’t want me to cause I refuse to cross any boundaries. I was also a teaching assistant and now going to school for early childhood education so I also have experience working with kids.

That's one of the reasons why I quit the teaching pathway. I had moments where certain students would tell me some really personal stuff I felt knowing these things would blur the lines of the teacher/ student relationship.

That and I'm a bad example of an adult to follow :saint:

• That's one of the reasons why I quit the teaching pathway. I had moments where certain students would tell me some really personal stuff I felt knowing these things would blur the lines of the teacher/ student relationship.

That and I'm a bad example of an adult to follow :saint:

Thats understandable, the pathway isn’t for everyone. In my experience it was hard when a student confided in me, like I wanted to help them but I didn’t want it biting me. And when should I bring it up to my higher ups? I also have a degree in social work as well and I just want to help but whats crossing the line (besides the obvious yknow?)

• Thats understandable, the pathway isn’t for everyone. In my experience it was hard when a student confided in me, like I wanted to help them but I didn’t want it biting me. And when should I bring it up to my higher ups? I also have a degree in social work as well and I just want to help but whats crossing the line (besides the obvious yknow?)

Yeah, I remember the teacher in charge of the Afterschool program I worked for telling me that things like that are one of the many heartbreaks of being a teacher,

that there are a lot of losing battles that you have no control over, and I've had enough heartbreak and loss in my life.

• Yeah, I remember the teacher in charge of the Afterschool program I worked for telling me that things like that are one of the many heartbreaks of being a teacher,

that there are a lot of losing battles that you have no control over, and I've had enough heartbreak and loss in my life.

That’s unfortunately very true. My original intentions for wanting ti work with kids is so that no kid has to go through what I ever went through

• yes. At the very least you should relay your age if you're an adult that wants to be "playful"

a lot of predators on this site either way, that are in guilds with very young gals and act inappropriate around them. I know a lot of the grown men here love keeping lengthy DMs with these girls too. It's just fking weird.

Yeah, that's a big reason why I stay "in character" even in conversations/ DM. I mean, I've plenty of lengthy interactions with young users but it's me as the Capybara, if that makes sense.

• Yes it matters. I don't speak to children the same way I do adults generally

Same although due to my teaching experience, kids are way smarter than most people think. Especially when they reach like 4th grade.

There's this fine line of not approaching them like babies but certainly not giving them the same... gravitas that you would an adult.

• That’s unfortunately very true. My original intentions for wanting ti work with kids is so that no kid has to go through what I ever went through

And yet, no matter how hard we try, some end up worse.

Years after my experience as a teacher, I had the unfortunate privilege of running into former students of mine who were now in high school, doing the most.

It made me want to track down the parents and smack someone.

• And yet, no matter how hard we try, some end up worse.

Years after my experience as a teacher, I had the unfortunate privilege of running into former students of mine who were now in high school, doing the most.

It made me want to track down the parents and smack someone.

It’s probably better you didn’t track down the parents tbh, that might’ve made things worse. Now to get back on topic of this thread, sometimes I feel like a “mother” figure for some users and I want to protect them and although my intentions pure, it may not really help tbh.

• Honestly I try to be nicer but also keep them at arms length because these kids probably have a lot going on but a firm understanding that "we are not friends, stay safe online" is established in that way

That seems like the best approach.

• I understand but it still comes off as a weird guise to me, even if he's a quote "capybara". That's just my personal feeling.

Though I personally don't know him enough to make any conclusions ofc.

No, I totally understand: It's not everyone's cup of tea. What ever you do, stay away from pro wrestling forums then: They're FULL of users running gimmicks lol.

(Btw, the Capybara will remember this :sketchyk:)

• It’s probably better you didn’t track down the parents tbh, that might’ve made things worse. Now to get back on topic of this thread, sometimes I feel like a “mother” figure for some users and I want to protect them and although my intentions pure, it may not really help tbh.

It actually does go back to our teaching experiences tho. There's a certain decorum everyone has to have with each other online, especially since there are so many people from different age groups. And then when you throw in cultures and beliefs, the line gets even thinner.

It's also one of the reasons why people are either really nice online, unbearable pricks or snooty know it alls on Reddit.

• It actually does go back to our teaching experiences tho. There's a certain decorum everyone has to have with each other online, especially since there are so many people from different age groups. And then when you throw in cultures and beliefs, the line gets even thinner.

It's also one of the reasons why people are either really nice online, unbearable pricks or snooty know it alls on Reddit.

Yes thats also very true. We gotta watch what we say because technically we are in a position of power (when in reality I see friends as equals, but when a minor is involved that line is more evident). Some things might also offend one person but might also be okay for another. Its just a matter of finding that common ground.

• Yes, I interact with adults and kids differently in real life so I do the same on here. Meaning I will have casual conversations with younger users but I won't try to befriend them. I would find it strange if someone my age was friends with teenagers in real life and hold the same belief online. It also affects the topics I'll speak about and language I'll use in the conversation. And I also don't fight with kids, so I would never argue with a user if they're a kid too.

• Yes, as I've said many times. I feel so out of place here with being 54 surrounded by the young bunch, I find them hard to relate to due to the huge difference in age. To be honest, I don't know what I'm doing here. I feel like I'm a parent to them. Lol.

• honestly it depends. in general im fine with talking to adults, but i've encountered one too many instances where certain men on here have given me weird vibes, so i try to avoid conversations with most. but when its females its always fine with me, i seldom have any issues with them.

there are exceptions, but i can count all of them on my fingers.

• yes it matters coz i don't want to be arguing with no 13 year olds

A lot of us have tho and don't even know it LOL. In fact, out of the 4 or 5 users that I never liked on here (don't worry, all of them are gone, I think)

most of them were revealed to be underage so their attitudes kinda made sense. It's just sad that a lot of users were cosigning their behavior.

:wellr:

• This thread contains 21 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!