Do you think there could ever be a Milli Vanilli situation in kpop?

• that would be so wild! like they find out it was just some random person behind the stage singing a la 200 lbs beauty

i don't think that's too far fetched lmao i could see smth like that happening. the scandal and the drama would be crazy

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• NGL, i came here to say a lip synching controversy NAH, but it not even being their voices???

Me if this ever happens ->>>:scaredy-bee::scaredy-bee::scaredy-bee:

Nope, it was not even their voices. It was a completely different pair of people singing then were dancing and mouthing the words in the videos. TBH, I don't see how they fooled so many people. They lip syncing isn't even convincing in the official music video LOL. But they did. They had hit songs and even won a Grammy for best new artist!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

With kpop's focus on looks and dancing, I'm actually surprised they've never done this ,but then kpop has all kinds of tech now to clean up singing.

• MissBehave

Changed the title of the thread from “Do you think there could ever be a Milli Vanilla situation in kpop?” to “Do you think there could ever be a Milli Vanilli situation in kpop?”.
  • Nope, it was not even their voices. It was a completely different pair of people singing then were dancing and mouthing the words in the videos. TBH, I don't see how they fooled so many people. They lip syncing isn't even convincing in the official music video LOL. But they did. They had hit songs and even won a Grammy for best new artist!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

With kpop's focus on looks and dancing, I'm actually surprised they've never done this ,but then kpop has all kinds of tech now to clean up singing.

I swear I knew it, but I forgot it wasn't even their voices. :pepe-shame: Oh man.

• It would be very hard to pull off in these times, considering there's so many eyes everywhere, and if people are able to point out which act is lip-syncing or not... It'd only be a matter of time until eagle-eyed and eared fans put two and two together. Especially when they notice their speaking voice(s) and their singing voice(s) aren't congruent. And if we're talking about actual dedicated fans who engage in the content religiously? They WILL find out.

If such a thing were to happen, they would need to find singers that sound very close to the idol(s) and it would be absolutely imperative that they nail their lip-syncing. This would take a lot of coordination and organizing, and they'd run a very high risk of someone from behind the scenes exposing them. That's just on your typical TV performances. Going on tour, it would make that even more challenging because now you have more possible liabilities to consider. What if the original singer gets sick? What if they decide to walk or go on strike mid-tour? What if the performer makes a mistake on stage like they trip or fall, but the singing isn't affected at all? There's so much that could go wrong.

A scandal like that is not only career-ending for all of the performers in question (save for the original singers), but it would put that company in jeopardy if not outright ending that company as well. That would be a complete violation of trust between the company and the consumers, and that's NEVER something to take lightly. It would open up several cans of worms because then people would wonder about the other musical acts within the company and their legitimacy. The only time I could sort of see this happening is if a tour is near, someone lost their voice/is experiencing difficulty singing due to health reasons and they don't want to back out so close. But even that is a big risk because again, it puts everyone into question, and they'd be much better off being transparent with the fans regarding the situation. People would be disappointed, but they'd understand. The last thing you ever want to do is lie to your consumers.

If a group debuted and ended up being exposed for this, the group would most likely come from a smaller company, because there's no way the giants would ever take such a huge and reckless risk like that. There's too much to lose, and why go through all that when you could just form a group with singers who can actually deliver?

• Please don't give Lee Sooman ahjussi a crazy ideas.

External Content www.youtube.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!