Posts by FoReveries

They play bingo halls and have sub Mamamoo level touring, haven't on Spotify in several comebacks, haven't chatted on any major international platforms and their last comeback before Chill Kill has like 28m streams and 35m views...Fromis level numbers but they sold 1+m albums lol? Seems realistic. They were bigger in 2019 in every area and suddenly when the fake album boom happened their sales nearly tripped.

The album boom happened to practically every single group, from the top groups to the mid tier groups and even lower tier groups.

Album sales is and always has been a different metric from charting/streams and I blame SM for not promoting them (and I guess their other groups) better internationally and allowing them to play in larger locations. It's not a matter of fanbase but SM willingness - or capability - to invest.

In another thread someone mentioned Covid that started its influence worldwide around that same time, which seemed like a good explanation to me - people investing more in albums because they couldn't spend money at concerts or other outdoor activities. But sure, feel free to speculate.

When you have million sellers playing conference halls or 5 million sellers struggling to sell out some arenas questions start getting asked. Lol. I mean several mid table groups stomping BTS sales? Washed groups like RV selling 1m lol and 4th geners debuting with 1.5,m sales but can't barely enter Spotify?

Washed groups like RV, lol. They still charted better the past years than some other (washed?) 3rd gen groups :|

Also, even before the massive sales increases, RV always were among the top gg album sellers even if they weren't the top album seller.

That aside, I've also been puzzled about this insane album increase across all K-pop groups since 2020, and wondered whether it was just Covid or because of adoption of Japanese album selling practices (AKB48 style handshake events, etc) or inclusion of other distribution channels.

But I'm not into physical albums, so it's not my thing anyway.

CL's music wasn't failing just because of Scooter: the solo she chose while under YG wasn't that successful, and she wasn't the songwriter/lyricist/rapper genius (not even including her 'Dr. Pepper' gig) that people esp. her fans were convinced she was.

She was a great performer, but without the support structure of a genius songwriter/producer like Teddy and effective brand building/hype promotion machine like YG, it was clear her own talents and input wasn't enough to make her stand alone successfully.

Your point regarding that a lot of producers only seem to work with girl groups, not boy groups is an interesting one: is it Korean culture based male chauvinism, do they feel more 'inspired' when working with girls/women, do they think their songs fit girl groups more or that they'll have more success with girl groups? Is an interesting investigation topic.

But even aside from that, YG goes a step further than other companies in how they push boy group members to become their own songwriter/producers (imo bc it's cheaper, the 'real artist' brand building around it was just YG's way of selling it) in order to breed a stable of Teddy/GD-alikes - but did far less so try to find and push for a female GD/Teddy level songwriter/producer within their girl groups.

Or maybe YG tried, failed and gave up.

Huh? I thought I read that RV's new album Chill Kill sold over 400k in the first week

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In any case, I think it'd be understandable if the global popularity of K-pop would diminish somewhat: the whole popularity growth was for a big part carried on the back of BTS and their massive popularity, and with their diminished activity and presence as a group, it wouldn't be strange if K-pop popularity as a whole would decrease somewhat too, among people in the west who regarded K-pop as a temporary hype trend.

But so far, the album sales as a whole are still increasing on a year on year basis.

Blackpink has more credits than Red Velvet despite having ⅒ the discography :pepeshut:

Outside of Lisa, Blackpink knows how to write songs and produce, it was part of their training process.

They're just comfortable with TBL producers and their opinions are listened to. Unlike most girl groups, especially of 2nd and 3rd gen, Blackpink has never been a group to say this disliked their songs or disliked an era.

:pepewhat: Credits isn't saying much when you don't know how much someone really contributed to a song/album in a long list of contributors, how much of it is real contribution and how much was PR/brand building. You'll only really know when someone had to stand alone without the training wheels of the support of gifted, talented colleagues.

A good example is CL, who was lauded for her credits and songwriting/producing/lyrics contributions to 2NE1, but as soon as she had to stand alone showed that she wasn't a GD and that 2NE1's songwriting/producing success had always been Teddy - and maybe others, but not CL :wellr:

Although a nice offtrack course, this wasn't even the point: in case the ironic, sarcastic tone wasn't picked up, the point was that YG apparently had so little faith in the songwriting/producing potential of their girl group members, that instead of coaching them and then letting them loose like YG did with GD and their follow up boy group members, for their girl groups they used Teddy as major songwriter/producer.

Whether YG's lack of faith was justified or YG's native sexism and misogyny is another discussion, but the result is that YG boy groups were treated differently from YG girl groups by YG and people.

I guess it's an YG thing: boy groups are pushed to have their own songwriters/producers who'll be made responsible for their group's songs, in hopes that YG can catch lightning twice and have a Big Bang/GD successor so YG and his people can boast about their groups talents as 'real artists' and don't have to pay royalties to non-YG songwriters

Also, Teddy is K-pop's George R.R. Martin and he isn't K-pop fans' bitch: if he deems it sufficient enough to only write a few songs a decade whenever he feels the creative juices bubbling up again from an almost dried-up well, then people should let him.

Of course it makes sense that YG will cherish these few songs for the scarce national treasures they are, and give them to their groups that need it the most. Which are YG's girl groups where there's apparently zero songwriting/producent talent and who didn't enjoy any coaching in those whatsoever.

... but from what I understand, Baby Monster won't have to depend (solely) on Teddy anymore :siptear:

Yeah, you listed 5 SM groups but somehow missed SuJu, the one that contains literally the best boy group vocalists.

Duh, I already said that I might have missed a few ;-) But you're right, Super Junior is and always has been very underrated for a boy group with probably 1 of the best if not the best bg vocal line across the 4-5 generations :/

BTOB erasure :pepecry:

I didn't know :oops:

I see that NMIXX and Aespa are often mentioned - not just in this thread - for their vocal line, so I'm guessing they're considered among the top vocal groups for 4th gen?

Also some surprises, like Fromis 9 and Kiss of Life, I'll check them out too.

Many of the newer boy groups in this thread I've never even heard of, I'll check out some of their performances too besides the ones already mentioned in this thread.

Huh?

You must be new to Kpop because MAMA has never been considered bigger than MMA for Music Awards.

SME and YGE have basically boycotted MAMA for about a decade

I knew there was some bad blood between them, first with SM and a couple of years later with YG, but I didn't know both companies have been actively boycotting MAMA.

Even if there wasn't any conflict between those 3, MAMA has acted shady so many times over the years, that they should've been made a laughing stock years ago.

But neither is as prestigious as the Golden Disk awards or the Korean Music awards.

Those two are the most respectable in a small list filled with fishy award shows.

Ah well, it's about the performances I guess.

Nice! :claps: I'm glad she's doing well. She has been gone for such a long time that I thought she'd moved on fully from being a singer/pop artist/idol.

Synchronicity!! Literally played that version again last morning in a sound theory playlist I have!

^^ I've listened to her own Beep Beep song, it sounds really different from the one she did with SNSD.

Sound theory playlist? Sounds intriguing :-)

:wow: Ooh, nice!

I don't know any of them, but I'm gonna give them all a listen, I'm intrigued :-)

Cool, thanks for the performance examples! I'm gonna listen to them :giftr:

Everybody mentions girl groups, no boy groups are yet known for outstanding vocals?

I remember 1 other 2nd boy group I forgot to mention: JYP's 2AM.

From what I recall, 2AM was the vocal oriented group and 2PM the more dance oriented group of JYP.

But not sure how good 2AM were.

I haven't been keeping track of all the 4th gen groups that debuted.

But we're a couple of years now into 4th gen era, time enough for groups to have shown their vocals in various performances.

So I was wondering, are there 4th gen groups that are already known for their vocals? And if so, what are the top vocal groups?

For 1st gen I don't know (Big Mama?), but for 2nd gen you had groups like DBSK, SNSD, Davichi, SHINee and SPICA, and for 3rd gen groups like EXO, Mamamoo and Red Velvet that were known for their group vocals? (I'm guessing here, I could've missed a few).

But what are the boy and girl groups of 4th gen that have amazing vocals?

And if you have examples, videos of sublime vocal performances are appreciated :-)

Alright, I rewatched Wendy's visit at the Leemujin Service show, got chills again and just had to share it. All of her performances in it were amazing, but her cover of Whitney Houston's 'I Have Nothing' was simply divine.

See for yourself:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:lover2::send-love-bunny:

Wendy Houston ^^

If you don't have time to watch the whole Lee Jumin Service episode (seriously!), at least give this 1 performance a chance and listen to it. You won't regret it.

ReveluvTaglist