When do Twice lose the title of being the 3rd biggest kpop group?

• For the last few years, the naturally order of things in kpop have been BTS to BP to Twice. BTS are still clearly untouchable, to an extent BP as well. With Twice however it feels more precarious.

A lot of girl groups now out chart and are more relevant than them in South Korea.

Ive's songs are now out peaking Twice songs in Japan which was always Twice's safe haven of dominance. But other girl groups are now having songs attract more people.

Twice songs still have decent longevity on Spotify & Youtube but groups other than BTS & BP are getting bigger initial numbers than them which shows that kpop fans are anticipating other groups more now, so a hit song will probably now give them better results in the long run.

Wouldn't be surprised if they start getting outsold this year or next as well by more than just BP on the girl group side of things.

They're essentially on their way to becoming a big boy group with the lack of impact of their releases on the general kpop populace but the fandom can still move a lot when needed. It's hard to say when the last time Twice had an impactful release that had people hyped and talking, maybe ICSM with the Feels being more of a sleeper hit?

They tour and sell well like big boy groups but despite their fandom increasing their songs have less of an impact with the relative popularity of their songs decreasing versus other kpop groups as well.

Their comebacks are no longer an event in kpop which was always a thing with BTS/BP/Twice, more so than other groups. Whilst BTS and BP have still have that impact Twice no longer do and this diminishing impact makes me think they're not far from not being seen as the 3rd biggest. As the biggest group always have the most general interest.

Thoughts?

Approved the thread.
  • Twice isn’t the 3rd biggest kpop group because of current popularity, but because of the legacy they have built.

And even with current statistics, twice is still relevant as the 3rd biggest group. They sold 2 days at an American soccer stadium which is more difficult to achieve

• they use to be number 1 girl group of 3 gen, in numbers of total sales they are, but they had to work 3 or 4 times more than BP to have those numbers.

So then now the number 1 is BP and internationaly, lets put Bp has more reach on the west. But Twice is till huge.

Now the thing is 4 gen GG are all about BP. SM is trying to attach BP fame to aespa. JYP did the same with ITzy and IVE. The groups that are doing cute concept have a momentum and then deflates. Cute concept still have a public, but it is smaller than girl crush concept.

Cos Girl Crush concepts attracts girl fans, and we all know the money girl fans move in kpop is bigger that boy fans.

• Twice is still 3rd biggest group I’m no once but that’s obvious

• twice is still 3rd saying this as a non fan. They made a legacy at their peak in sk and their overall international stats put them in 3rd place.

• When Blackpink released The Album and sold 1M everyone bowed down to them. Before that they were always teased for only having views.

• And yes, Twice still is 3rd. I thought you meant when they lost their 2nd spot.

• Twice isn’t the 3rd biggest kpop group because of current popularity, but because of the legacy they have built.

And even with current statistics, twice is still relevant as the 3rd biggest group. They sold 2 days at an American soccer stadium which is more difficult to achieve

Hence the when.

Current popularity will translate sooner or later. Whilst BTS and BP are still currently the most popular, Twice have been falling down the list and it doesn't look like it's stopping anytime soon. New groups are popping up constantly and putting them further behind the current popularity list in most of their major markets.

• Why didn't mods approve my post? Stop being biased. I didn't hate on Twice, i just shared my opinion.

My quote was talking about how onces cared so much about s.k. charts and now they act as if it's nothing to worry about.

Accept my quote please. Be unbiased at least once.

• When Blackpink released The Album and sold 1M everyone bowed down to them. Before that they were always teased for only having views.

They dominated international charting, spotify streams, youtube views and also biggest kpop gg tour ever before THE ALBUM.

• They dominated international charting, spotify streams, youtube views and also biggest kpop gg tour ever before THE ALBUM.

Since debut.

Onces used Twice charting in S K as one of the biggest reason they were the 1st gg so why are they acting as if just their "ok" international stats are enough to keep them at the top? Twice is declining. They are like any bg with a big fandom.

• Onces need to stop using "legacy" to justify Twice being 3rd when by that logic we could add Big Bang and SNSD into the rankings as well

Right now, touring is the only thing keeping Twice at third. The Feels was an exception for them, not the norm, and Scientist bombed everywhere. There are least 7 groups in Korea currently bigger than Twice. With IVE's current trajectory, they will surpass them internationally/in Japan soon enough. With Aespa's current trajectory, they will surpass their sales soon enough. So what really does Twice have left besides touring?

• Since debut.

Onces used Twice charting in S K as one of the biggest reason they were the 1st gg so why are they acting as if just their "ok" international stats are enough to keep them at the top? Twice is declining. They are like any bg with a big fandom.

This is an annoying factor with the fandom.

Twice's biggest differentiator was how successful and popular they were in South Korea, it was their bread and butter. Not just charting wise with music which BP also had but their general popularity with the public which Gallup showed. At that point in time when the impact of international popularity was not what it is now, I think it was fair to say Twice were the biggest girl group at that time as they were on top in South Korea and Japan, the two biggest kpop markets at the time with Japan being the 2nd biggest music market in the world.

Fans were vocal about the NGG title and whatnot as that was their identity. To now act like that they are above South Korea because they are gaining niche popularity in the US within the kpop crowd, like pretty much every other kpop group, makes no sense. The records they set will be broken in the next year or two in the US. They had a headstart on nearly every other girl group in terms of how big they already were when they started looking to the US, with their only competition on that front not releasing anything in nearly two years (BP), so it has embellished their achievements there as their comparison in the last year has been 4th gen girl groups a few years old.

• They dominated international charting, spotify streams, youtube views and also biggest kpop gg tour ever before THE ALBUM.

It doesn't matter, they weren't accepted as#1 gg until The Album became the ultimate proof.

• TWICe are in their 7th year, give them a break ffs.

And yes, Once have changed their tune, since TWICE didn't perform that great anymore at the homefront.

But it's not as if they're unique in this: other fandoms do the same.

• Since debut.

except they'll never dream of getting to 2million sales

• It doesn't matter, they weren't accepted as#1 gg until The Album became the ultimate proof.

I wasn't saying that but I was countering the point who told BP were only known for yt views which is false. Also the gap between Twice and Bp since 2018 in sk wasn't that huge anyway, bp is just unlucky enough to never get to follow up with 2 cbs unlike other ggs.

• This is an annoying factor with the fandom.

Twice's biggest differentiator was how successful and popular they were in South Korea, it was their bread and butter. Not just charting wise with music which BP also had but their general popularity with the public which Gallup showed. At that point in time when the impact of international popularity was not what it is now, I think it was fair to say Twice were the biggest girl group at that time as they were on top in South Korea and Japan, the two biggest kpop markets at the time with Japan being the 2nd biggest music market in the world.

Fans were vocal about the NGG title and whatnot as that was their identity. To now act like that they are above South Korea because they are gaining niche popularity in the US within the kpop crowd, like pretty much every other kpop group, makes no sense. The records they set will be broken in the next year or two in the US. They had a headstart on nearly every other girl group in terms of how big they already were when they started looking to the US, with their only competition on that front not releasing anything in nearly two years (BP), so it has embellished their achievements there as their comparison in the last year has been 4th gen girl groups a few years old.

Onces are a little annoying with how they changed their narrative though. They hated GOT7 and called them flops just to know Twice have the same flop career as them. No noise in S.K. while doing good numbers outside but still not being the top group outside. Twice aren't the top3 anymore neither will be overall when BB, SNSD, TVXQ and Exo still have a better legacy.

• It doesn't matter, they weren't accepted as#1 gg until The Album became the ultimate proof.

They weren't accepted by kpop fans bc BP since debut were never accepted as a top group. Just after D4 that people was obligated to accept BP success. Onces were the ones being loud about Twice s k charting and are now being proud over some ok numbers internationally just to save face. Twice were dominant just until 2017 and even then we could name others ggs having hits, now what do they dominate? Overall physicals? So what?

• Onces are a little annoying with how they changed their narrative though. They hated GOT7 and called them flops just to know Twice have the same flop career as them. No noise in S.K. while doing good numbers outside but still not being the top group outside. Twice aren't the top3 anymore neither will be overall when BB, SNSD, TVXQ and Exo still have a better legacy.

Exo better legacy than Twice how?

• Onces are a little annoying with how they changed their narrative though. They hated GOT7 and called them flops just to know Twice have the same flop career as them. No noise in S.K. while doing good numbers outside but still not being the top group outside. Twice aren't the top3 anymore neither will be overall when BB, SNSD, TVXQ and Exo still have a better legacy.

Um exo nor tvxq have greater legacy’s. Big Bang shouldn’t either with the amount of crap to down right criminal shit the group has done

• Exo better legacy than Twice how?

Their peak in Asia was higher, no?

Um exo nor tvxq have greater legacy’s. Big Bang shouldn’t either with the amount of crap to down right criminal shit the group has done

TVXQ no? Are you kidding?? Well, Twice are singers that majority can't sing, should i consider them a dance group and exclude everything else? Bc even now BB are outcharting them and any other group in S.K (except BTS) with their numbers. Their legacy is still here. Trying to exclude them is rather "silly" bc Twice isn't as impactful as them.

I see myself as impartial and I still find this post just utterly...incorrect and I can see you're coming from a perspective of not liking the group at all so your post just sounds like a typical twitter hate post. I agree Twice fans are hypocritical like most fandoms but I have no idea how you came to half the narratives in this post.

How on earth Twice are comparable to Got7 I have no idea. There legacy is already cemented as one of the biggest in kpop.

The fact that pretty much everyone who has posted still agrees Twice are the 3rd biggest group around, with no reason to lie as we're in anons, further cements how out of touch this post is.

• I see myself as impartial and I still find this post just utterly...incorrect and I can see you're coming from a perspective of not liking the group at all so your post just sounds like a typical twitter hate post. I agree Twice fans are hypocritical like most fandoms but I have no idea how you came to half the narratives in this post.

How on earth Twice are comparable to Got7 I have no idea. There legacy is already cemented as one of the biggest in kpop.

I'm talking about how GOT7 was all about their international career with no relevance in S.K. and onces hated on them bc Twice was a more successful group and now Twice is also all about their international achievements and no noise in S.K. but onces are saying that S.K. is irrelevant. It's hypocrite, and I'm not a Twitter hater. Twice are declining and aren't the top3 anymore.

• The fact that pretty much everyone who has posted still agrees Twice are the 3rd biggest group around, with no reason to lie as we're in anons, further cements how out of touch this post is.

Pretty much who? 5 users? You asked something, I'm giving my opinion and now you are crying bc it isn't what you expected? What do you want me to say? That Twice while being a flop in SK and ok numbers ww while still selling less than all top bgs are the top3?

• I'm talking about how GOT7 was all about their international career with no relevance in S.K. and onces hated on them bc Twice was a more successful group and now Twice is also all about their international achievements and no noise in S.K. but onces are saying that S.K. is irrelevant. It's hypocrite, and I'm not a Twitter hater. Twice are declining and aren't the top3 anymore.

There new songs are irrelevant yes, but they are still top 10 on Gallup after having two years in a row of no big hits, whereas Aespa just had a huge year and are only one place above them. Twice with no big songs in a while are still more popular than most groups in South Korea

• There new songs are irrelevant yes, but they are still top 10 on Gallup after having two years in a row of no big hits, whereas Aespa just had a huge year and are only one place above them. Twice with no big songs in a while are still more popular than most groups in South Korea

But we are talking about the top3 no? Which most groups? Bc most groups are nugus and flops, how is this a victory? Now we just have big2 with the rest fighting themselves with similar achievements.

• There new songs are irrelevant yes, but they are still top 10 on Gallup after having two years in a row of no big hits, whereas Aespa just had a huge year and are only one place above them. Twice with no big songs in a while are still more popular than most groups in South Korea

The trend is downwards though. Every year TWICE lose a couple of % in Gallup, without the excuse of 1-2 year hiatus as some other groups. TWICE have been 1 of the most active groups in SK too, yet still they're dropping.

Sure, it takes a while to fall from a high peak, but it's starting to become noticeable that they're falling and other groups are rising.

You've already pointed to this in the OP. And yes, the way things are going, that's true, in more and more fields other groups will start to outperform TWICE.

• Pretty much who? 5 users? You asked something, I'm giving my opinion and now you are crying bc it isn't what you expected? What do you want me to say? That Twice while being a flop in SK and ok numbers ww while still selling less than all top bgs are the top3?

Bruh who's crying, you're the one that has come in with the emotional responses with limited reasoning.

Who's the 3rd biggest kpop group worldwide currently then and what would your reasoning be behind it?

Twice fill that gap currently still for me purely due to the extent of their reach in multiple countries which oter groups currently don't have. But different groups in individual countries are catching up with them, which is why in the near future I see them losing the top three angle as it won't be long until some of these groups move above Twice in more than one or two countries.

Twice were selling less than most of the top bg's in 2018 as well, that doesn't mean anything really. You keep saying they're not top 3 but aren't offering the alternative.

But we are talking about the top3 no? Which most groups? Bc most groups are nugus and flops, how is this a victory? Now we just have big2 with the rest fighting themselves with similar achievements.

Why would 3rd biggest in SK translate to 3rd biggest overall, which is what this entire thread is about?

Their positioning in SK is just part of the wider picture.

The trend is downwards though. Every year TWICE lose a couple of % in Gallup, without the excuse of 1-2 year hiatus as some other groups. TWICE have been 1 of the most active groups in SK too, yet still they're dropping.

Sure, it takes a while to fall from a high peak, but it's starting to become noticeable that they're falling and other groups are rising.

You've already pointed to this in the OP. And yes, the way things are going, that's true, in more and more fields other groups will start to outperform TWICE.

I know that hence the thread, though I'd say most groups don't promote in South Korea anymore. I bought up Gallup due to the other user comparing Twice in South Korea to Got7, a comparison that makes no sense.

• in a couple of weeks LD can fall behind The Feels just like Eleven lol.

• It's funny how they are "filing" this spot just bc they were successful in the past. Sad to be honest.

They aren't a top3 anymore as to me we don't have a top3 bc besides BTS being a wall and BP still being the most successful gg ww by a large margin i don't see how Twice is above others when their physical is inferior to all top bgs, their streams aren't that different of others top groups and their digitals in sk is on the same level of bgs so what top when to me they all seem the same?

And i didn't compare Twice old reputation in S.K., but right now their results there is almost the same as GOT7 ones and onces were loud about GOT7 flop career, so why can't others be about Twice flop career too? Non sense is trying to ignore their SK charting when it was this charting that made them a top group in the past.

• It's funny how they are "filing" this spot just bc they were successful in the past. Sad to be honest.

They aren't a top3 anymore as to me we don't have a top3 bc besides BTS being a wall and BP still being the most successful gg ww by a large margin i don't see how Twice is above others when their physical is inferior to all top bgs, their streams aren't that different of others top groups and their digitals in sk is on the same level of bgs so what top when to me they all seem the same?

And i didn't compare Twice old reputation in S.K., but right now their results there is almost the same as GOT7 ones and onces were loud about GOT7 flop career, so why can't others be about Twice flop career too? Non sense is trying to ignore their SK charting when it was this charting that made them a top group in the past.

They are still the 2nd biggest group in Japan even though other groups are now starting to gain there. They are still the 3rd most popular act in the west. They are still easily top 5 in SEA, top 3 in countries such as the Philippines which is huge for kpop.

No other group currently has their breadth in terms of popularity ignoring BTS/BP. Other groups may be close but they're not above, which is why you're not naming anyone who you think is above them as the 3rd biggest group worldwide. It's not just about being successful in the past.

My main point was other groups are gaining in multiple countries in which they were at or near the top as they've either gone stagnant or are declining. I don't think it's long before they lose that breadth.

Can't tell if you're being obtuse but if Twice are currently top 10 on Gallup still only below 3 other kpop groups, how is Twice's reputation the same as Got7 in any era? Alcohol Free from last year is much bigger than any Got7 song in South Korea...ever. I'm not sure why you've bought them into this convo.

• What? Twice has a greater legacy than EXO? Stop it please

• Either way they are declining and you know it too so why should I consider them at the top when they are declining? Just exclude this top conversation because a top group is A TOP GROUP.

They still rank on some polls thanks to their past success, congrats for it.

If this is about active group then I'll name Aespa as above them. Aespa are doing great numbers digitally and physically, like Twice when they were at the top so why not consider them? Because they are new? What is maintaining Twice at the top? I already told you, they need to excel and do better than others in at least one criteria, show me what criteria this is because I'm not seeing it. BTS does better than everyone else, but BP still do better than all ggs so which is Twice case?

They were... most people with some brain consider BP the top gg since 2018. Their international stats outshine any gap Twice could have in korean charting

• This thread contains 45 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!