Do NCT members actually get paid for their work?

• NCT and its units are more confusing than rocket science.

I don't see how anyone could be a fan of this mess.

But it makes me also wonder how them members are even getting paid. Most companies can't even pay a 5 member group what they owe them.

I know this is SM but how with 34 members does SM pay them fairly and equally? I wouldn't be surprised if they were only making minimum wage right now.

Especially since SM has to use NCT profit to pay RV and aespa members too.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 34? I thought they had 47 members.

But, yes, the revenue gets diluted when you have to divide them among 23 members. But at least it's logarithmical. They only make half of what a 12 member group would make. But if they release twice more albums, well... it may pay out.

:akorns:

• Every that comes in my threads and comments nothing but an acorn are peices of .

Y'alls drug addiction to akorns has ruined this forum.

Imagine being a guest or a user and you see a thread title that could be interesting and it had a lot of replies. One might think "Oh theres a decent conversation going on in here so I'll go check it out".

But then all they find is pointless waste of space posts of God damn akorns.

Way to help the forum grow.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Honestly that's a good question.

I never wondered about it, but even if they push out more content than other groups, this is still going to be pretty dilluted.

Mmmmh.

• And making a bunch of dumb threads isn't akorn farming? :clown::clown::clown::clown:

If you want to have a serious discussion then actually say something serious instead of the spew in your OP.

I haven't bought a single thing with akorns yet. I've even giving away 200 for free. I'm not about akorns.

There is nothing wrong with my op. It was a decent question.

• I'm sure alot of these idols make slim to none... Especially of they from a group that's not as popular.

True... the thing is though, NCT IS popular.

I feel like they aren't paid enough compared to what they are probably bringing to SM.

• True... the thing is though, NCT IS popular.

I feel like they aren't paid enough compared to what they are probably bringing to SM.

With NCT being their #1 group at the moment theres no way they are getting paid what they should be. Even though SM has enough money to do exactly that.

Im sure the situation is better today then it was in 2010 with the TVXQ lawsuit. But we dont really know how much better.

• I can't believe none of you here thought of the very obvious answer. Other than the 2 newest members that joined NCT, recently, every NCT member is a part of a fixed unit that works exactly like any regular kpop group.

Anyway, it's interesting seeing people who dgaf about NCT suddenly exhibit concern over their bank accounts.

• Guests can only see the first 5 posts, so not really. For users, idk, most seem more cool with the akorn comments so maybe not.

I'm sure alot of these idols make slim to none... Especially of they from a group that's not as popular.

I think maybe the idols from big companies are okay money wise even if they are not viewed as "popular", but I am not sure how they slip their checks. I am guessing the members that are in more units get more than the ones that are only in some?

original.gif

~ ʚ ♡ ɞ ~

• nct members likely get payed for the work they do overseas bc it has been rumored for a while that sm contracts are 9:1 in favor of the company for korean promotions but 6:4 for international promotions. so nct127 at the least is making money. way v's contracts are probably different though. i kind of doubt each member individually made much money from the nct2020 promos tho seeing as any penny of profit got split between 20+ people.

who's your favorite artist?

• I can't believe none of you here thought of the very obvious answer. Other than the 2 newest members that joined NCT, recently, every NCT member is a part of a fixed unit that works exactly like any regular kpop group.

Anyway, it's interesting seeing people who dgaf about NCT suddenly exhibit concern over their bank accounts.

True I dont care about NCT. But I do care about people being underpaid for what they are actually worth.

10/15 years ago SM didn't even want to pay a 5 member TVXQ (their biggest group of all time) what they worth.

Now they got 55 NCT members to pay.

• The site is mostly dead and when we get threads it's usually troll stuff, let us be addicts in peace :pepe-tea:

• Try to make good thread and stop complaining :akorns:

• nct members likely get payed for the work they do overseas bc it has been rumored for a while that sm contracts are 9:1 in favor of the company for korean promotions but 6:4 for international promotions. so nct127 at the least is making money. way v's contracts are probably different though. i kind of doubt each member individually made much money from the nct2020 promos tho seeing as any penny of profit got split between 20+ people.

Lmao where did you get that from?

First of all the 9:1 ratio is only for physical albums, not Korean activities. But the profits of SM artists album sales go to their unicef campaign SMile so whatever

Second, the overseas activities ratio is 7:3 in favor of the artists

This is according to Tvxq's contracts from 2009. Who knows what the contracts are actually like now.

• Try to make good thread and stop complaining :akorns:

You don't get to decide what's a good thread and what's not.

Farm for akorns in your own damn threads.

• True I dont care about NCT. But I do care about people being underpaid for what they are actually worth.

10/15 years ago SM didn't even want to pay a 5 member TVXQ (their biggest group of all time) what they worth.

Now they got 55 NCT members to pay.

Tvxq's lawsuit was mainly about "artistic freedom"

You have absolutely no way to tell whether NCT members are getting paid fairly or not so save the fake concern

• And what basis is that feeling of yours built on exactly?

Because whatever they get is necesserily divided ? And they are planning to add even more members, right ?

That said, maybe I'm wrong and maybe SM is betting heavily on each of the members they have. This is just not the feeling I've got I guess.

• Because whatever they get is necesserily divided ? And they are planning to add even more members, right ?

That said, maybe I'm wrong and maybe SM is betting heavily on each of the members they have. This is just not the feeling I've got I guess.

NCT have 3 fixed units and every member except for the 2 newest ones (who will definitely be in the rumored new unit) are part of a fixed unit.

The fixed units work exactly like any regular kpop group, they have their own discographies, gigs, events, concerts etc

NCT only promote as a whole brand once every 2 years.

• Lmao where did you get that from?

First of all the 9:1 ratio is only for physical albums, not Korean activities. But the profits of SM artists album sales go to their unicef campaign SMile so whatever

Second, the overseas activities ratio is 7:3 in favor of the artists

This is according to Tvxq's contracts from 2009. Who knows what the contracts are actually like now.

oh 6:4 came from events i guess

pasted-from-clipboard.png

anyway, not sure how having the exact details changed any of my points. doubt the contract has improved much. its def not a 50/50 profit split, and they've prob tweaked the overseas profit more in favor of the company now since they're attempting to push nct to much abroad. but who knows

who's your favorite artist?

• Why would they pay the whole group for what NCT Dream does though? The only time they'd have to split between ALL the members for stuff like Empathy and Resonance since all the members were involved. Otherwise they'd pay the members of the group for what they did. Do you think groups get paid parts of members solo albums or subunits?

NCT have 3 fixed units and every member except for the 2 newest ones (who will definitely be in the rumored new unit) are part of a fixed unit.

The fixed units work exactly like any regular kpop group, they have their own discographies, gigs, events, concerts etc

NCT only promote as a whole brand once every 2 years.

I guess if we consider the subunits as full groups, it might work. I wonder what might happen if one day one of NCT subunit gets a huge breakthrough, and the other two fall behind. Would they be okay with members from one subunit being paid a lot more ?

That might just be the model that is confusing to me tbh.

• Does concerts fall under "Events"?

• "probably" yeah sure :-)

According to the dude from Akudong Musician (someone actually in the industry), you should join SME if you're in it for the money

According to Heechul, the secret behind longevity in kpop is intelligent contract negotiation. SJ have renewed twice with SM and SM have one of if not the highest renewal rate in kpop.

But I'm sure a conspiracy theory about SM contracts getting worse and worse, coming from a known SM anti is more believable.

• i would say yes

That should be at least 50/50 split if not more.

I know a lot of time and money goes into preparing concerts and tours but the idols themselves do the most physical work and they are the reason thousands of fans show up.

The artist should get more.

• You're trying to say that it's not fair for them to split all their profit 23 ways, but it's also not fair to not split their profit 23 ways?

I'm saying the model is confusing to me, and that if there were going to work as separate groups, why not... just make them separate groups tbh.

But I'm not attacking them, please don't take it that way. I'm mostly wondering about SM's motivation behind NCT's model, that's it.

• This thread contains 55 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!