At what point should a company pull the plug and disband a mediocre, underperforming idol group?

• OP

I think this is a good question.

I would give it 2 or max 3 years and then push members into solo activities.

Looking at what happened with the actor from Semantic Error it looks like solo activities can push up groups a lot.

• I'm unsure how easy it is for agencies to just disband a group. Groups usually have seven year contracts and we know that the members almost always have to sue if they wanna leave before that. The agency obviously has more power but I'm not sure if they can just disband a group. That's probably why we see so many groups become inactive for years before finally officially disbanding. The agency can control their actives but not disband them at the drop of a hat.

Which really makes sense. Imagine agencies just disbanding groups left and right, leaving idols jobless. The idols contracts most be like the worst work-employee contracts ever to allow that

• I'm unsure how easy it is for agencies to just disband a group. Groups usually have seven year contracts and we know that the members almost always have to sue if they wanna leave before that. The agency obviously has more power but I'm not sure if they can just disband a group. That's probably why we see so many groups become inactive for years before finally officially disbanding. The agency can control their actives but not disband them at the drop of a hat.

Which really makes sense. Imagine agencies just disbanding groups left and right, leaving idols jobless. The idols contracts most be like the worst work-employee contracts ever to allow that

Hmm they can refuse to give them cbs too. That's as good as disbanded.

But i read that a company once disbanded a group after 3 days of debuting.

• Hmm they can refuse to give them cbs too. That's as good as disbanded.

But i read that a company once disbanded a group after 3 days of debuting.

Even with zero comebacks they still owe the idols some things. Dorms and some necessities are often included in idols contracts if I'm not wrong. So they'd be paying for the idols for years without them bringing in any money.

Small agencies usually treat their idols like crap with terrible contracts but larger and mid-tier agencies have to act more legit than that.

true there are some groups who disbanded before their contracts ended (pledis) but I think part of the reason they let them go on hiatus instead of disbanding their groups, is ego. It won't look good if companies are known to disband groups and it's gonna make it seem like the company is a failure and doesn't know how to handle groups.

• that might depend on one factor

do we mean disbandment or just put group on hiatus for 12-18 months and in the meanting let kids do some solo things like acting, OST, variety show, vlog etc.

for me the 'wall' is 4th year, if you are four year group but you didn't went out from nugudom at least in terms of sales then you probably won't ever do it so agency should disband group asap

but if in that 4th year gg sale is 75-100k per album then there clearly is a fandom so agency should either pump bit more money to high budget MV and keep 2-3 comebacks per year or use that strategy with longer hiatus and try to build members popularity in the meantime.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hmm they can refuse to give them cbs too. That's as good as disbanded.

That's unfair for the members tho. They can't have comebacks but can't move on and find smth else to earn money either.

• Even with zero comebacks they still owe the idols some things. Dorms and some necessities are often included in idols contracts if I'm not wrong. So they'd be paying for the idols for years without them bringing in any money.

Small agencies usually treat their idols like crap with terrible contracts but larger and mid-tier agencies have to act more legit than that.

Bigger and mid agencies groups usually also don't end up flopping to the point of disbandment. They have more resources to support groups too. People were calling GOT7 flops in that thread :suure:

• that might depend on one factor

do we mean disbandment or just put group on hiatus for 12-18 months and in the meanting let kids do some solo things like acting, OST, variety show, vlog etc.

for me the 'wall' is 4th year, if you are four year group but you didn't went out from nugudom at least in terms of sales then you probably won't ever do it so agency should disband group asap

but if in that 4th year gg sale is 75-100k per album then there clearly is a fandom so agency should either pump bit more money to high budget MV and keep 2-3 comebacks per year or use that strategy with longer hiatus and try to build members popularity in the meantime.

I agree

• That's unfair for the members tho. They can't have comebacks but can't move on and find smth else to earn money either.

Yeah I was just saying if companies are not allowed to legally disband them, if they lack the resources they can give them no cbs.

• true there are some groups who disbanded before their contracts ended (pledis) but I think part of the reason they let them go on hiatus instead of disbanding their groups, is ego. It won't look good if companies are known to disband groups and it's gonna make it seem like the company is a failure and doesn't know how to handle groups.

That too. You can't spend years and money investing in a group just to disband them. It won't look good to any investors or industry officials

And I think the agencies has to make the idols agree to mutually terminate their contracts, or rework them in the popular members case, if they wanna disband prematurely. The agency can probably more or less force the idols to do this but it'll still take some time. Even in Pristin's case they were inactive for a year before officially disbanding (one and a half not counting Pristin V)

• Bigger and mid agencies groups usually also don't end up flopping to the point of disbandment. They have more resources to support groups too. People were calling GOT7 flops in that thread :suure:

GOT7 is so far from a flop :watt: Anon be wilding

Anon OP mentioned Weki Meki. Fantagio is a pretty successful actor agency. Their idol divison is much smaller but it's still part of the company. Plus even their idol division is most likely way bigger than Solia's agency (group that disbanded in 5 days). Astro is also under Fanatgio so it isn't that small.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!