As a K-pop fan in 2022, I feel blessed with this new peak era in K-pop where K-pop artists are overtaking the charts again

• There was a time that K-pop groups hardly made a dent in Korean charts anymore, and the Korean general public seemed to have lost their appetite and interest in their own K-pop idols.

But no more!

K-pop groups are back again, and how!

It's not just IU anymore semi-representing idols on the charts. Songs like INVU, Tomboy and Feel My Rhythm are comfily living too at the top of the charts.

It made me think again how extraordinary K-pop actually is. I just can't recall American MV's with that style and vibe like INVU, Tomboy, and Feel My Rhythm that have been released in 2022. I mean, I really love Imagine Dragons' 'Bones', it's a truly awesome song.

But MV's like INVU, Tomboy, FMR, with that style and vibe, I can't think of any American MV's released this year that are close to them. I mean, seriously

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Maybe I'm wrong, if so, please feel free to point me towards the American MV's I might have missed that can compete with these.

But it made me think to take another, closer look to comebacks and released MV's of other K-pop girl groups, boy groups and solo comebacks of the past months instead of just skimming past them like I've done lately, to see if I can find other gems I might have missed just because they didn't appear in the Top 10 :-)  :/

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Honestly one of my favorite aspects of kpop is the level of work they put into music videos. I grew up during the heyday of the music video and it's always fun to see what groups bring to the table. I feel like music videos in the US are slowly starting to get more attention and care (and money) again, but it still doesn't feel as eventful as it used to feel.

• we also had StayC's Run2U, Ive's Eleven, Yena's Smiley

I know IVE's Eleven which was from last year but iconic too, but I'll take a peek at StayC's Run2U and Yena's Smiley ty :-)

I'm thinking right now how I might also have missed some great boy group MV's of the past months, just because they haven't charted well.

And not to forget, individual gg and bg members who might have had their solo debut or comeback the past months :wow:?(

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• BONES SUPREMACY IKTR

:yesr:

Honestly one of my favorite aspects of kpop is the level of work they put into music videos. I grew up during the heyday of the music video and it's always fun to see what groups bring to the table. I feel like music videos in the US are slowly starting to get more attention and care (and money) again, but it still doesn't feel as eventful as it used to feel.

From what I see, but that's my opinion, American MV's were at a peak in creativity and quality in the early '00s and the 2 decades before that.

And afterwards it started to slowly degrade and more and more become lazy and uninspired and the quality diminished, for reasons unknown.

K-pop seems to have jumped in and profited from that vacuum and shortcoming of American MV production that happened just when things were going global with youtube and online streaming.

I was just thinking about this too.

It's been a while since idol music had any significant presence on the charts,it's giving me 2007-2009 idol craze nostalgia :oops:

:wow: :omgr:

I really hope so! I wasn't around during that 2nd gen peak era, I could only enjoy and relive it years afterwards by rewatching all the content. It would be nice to experience such a samelike era when it's happening. There's certainly an energy going around, hopefully it keeps growing.

SWJ1P.gif

• From what I see, but that's my opinion, American MV's were at a peak in creativity and quality in the early '00s and the 2 decades before that.

And afterwards it started to slowly degrade and more and more become lazy and uninspired and the quality diminished, for reasons unknown.

K-pop seems to have jumped in and profited from that vacuum and shortcoming of American MV production that happened just when things were going global with youtube and online streaming.

You are exactly right. When music channels like MTV started doing more original programming and less music videos as things got more available online, the music video pretty much died over here for the most part outside of a few artists here and there. K-Pop definitely jumped in and filled that void.

• I'm happy too, the dominancy in the charts is looking kinda similar to 2nd gen (sans bgs, if they start to dominate to it would be 2nd gen again in the korean side)

• It's not just IU anymore semi-representing idols on the charts

Jeez WhyKnock , look at this post saying that IU kind of kept K-pop's presence on the charts for quite sometime.

Please educate this person, on how IU has battled against K-pop for long and even now has only one or 2 Kpop songs.

• The only 3 BGs who have hit big digitally have been BTS, EXO and Bigbang. (Wanna one is disbanded)

At least Bigbang's comeback is confirmed, but will they recapture their 2005-2015 levels of dominance?

Or will there be new digimons from BGs?

I'm hoping for a bit of both. Will be great to see Bigbang again but it will be concering if no late 3rd-4th gen bgs don't do digitally well. I'm hoping Txt could fill in that hole, and if ONF were still around then maybe them as well

• I'm hoping for a bit of both. Will be great to see Bigbang again but it will be concering if no late 3rd-4th gen bgs don't do digitally well. I'm hoping Txt could fill in that hole, and if ONF were still around then maybe them as well

Well for 3rd Gen, there is always BTS and if EXO comes back.

It is the 4th gen BGs who are yet to make a mark, which GGs have started doing- Aespa, Ive

• boy groups are still not getting hits though, unlike all the previous generations.

I wonder if it’s the music they’re making or something else

Even when 4th gen boy groups are releasing safer pop songs (Wave, Blue Hour, Thrill Ride, Darari, Polaroid Love), the public still won't tune in like they do for girl groups.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I'm happy too, the dominancy in the charts is looking kinda similar to 2nd gen (sans bgs, if they start to dominate to it would be 2nd gen again in the korean side)

True, back then groups like Big Bang, Suju, Beast, 2pm, Shinee, etc. all had some digital success along with the GGs. These days, I don't think there's a single 4th gen BG that has even a moderate hit. It kinda sucks tbh that BG relevancy ended in 3rd gen, but who knows what could happen in the future.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!