Gold or Bitcoin?

• Right now? Bitcoin. It’s the most volatile so it has the potential to grow significantly in wirth and can make you rich overnight. But it also has the risk of crashing and burning just easily. High risk high reward.

In the long term gold by far. It’s been stable through deacades

• Gold.

Gold is still very recognized as a valuable metal by established finance firms.

but there is a case that bitcoin is a lot easier to access and profit off of.

hmmm.

On second thought, I'll mine bitcoin using solar energy. Invest about a thousand or so into solar panels + a cheap desktop. Mine away.

the entirety of my earnings after that would only cost a couple thousand in total (gotta include internet subscription) but it would cost less per unit coin over time.

So conclusion: with the right tools, Bitcoin.

• bonds are a good option then. Hard cash technically depletes your worth on its own because of the inflation rate.

Bonds gives a better interest rate than just a savings account, and better guards against wealth erosion by inflation.

I've never been interested in shares. I'll leave my money where it is even if it generates hardly any interest.

• I've never been interested in shares. I'll leave my money where it is even if it generates hardly any interest.

That is certainly one way to go about it. But keep in mind interest may not be enough to keep up with the devaluing of currency -- one USD 30 years ago is 2.02USD, a 102.2% cumulative interest over 30 years -- 3.4% interest per year.

My best bank account is only 0.1% interest - although I'm sure if I really laid into working with the bank to raise that I could get around 1%.... maybe.

The United States 30 year bond gives around 2.4% interest currently and so it helps me lose less worth over time.

I wish there was a way to deflate the currency occasionally but that does mean heavy adverse economic effects. ( the periods of relative deflation are famous, The Great deflation, The Great depression, 2008 recession, you get the idea)

• Gold. I like something I can wear and invest in.

the really pure stuff is usually too soft to wear though. you could accidentally abrade gold off a pure gold ring or necklace and boom, lost value.

not to say crypto is any better lmao

I would say that buying gold via a holdings company is a safer option

or classically, buy functional jewelry, the ones that are alloys and much more resistant to wear ( cuban chains, anyone?)

• I live in Australia where our banks pay piss all interest. I have never been interested in investing in the stock market or shares or anything else. It's too risky imo especially at the moment where too much can go wrong. As I said, I am happy with my money where it is and do alright with it. I am only another 14 years off retirement age and will have enough to sustain me until then. I am very good with money and don't want to risk what I've got.

• I live in Australia where our banks pay piss all interest. I have never been interested in investing in the stock market or shares or anything else. It's too risky imo especially at the moment where too much can go wrong. As I said, I am happy with my money where it is and do alright with it. I am only another 14 years off retirement age and will have enough to sustain me until then. I am very good with money and don't want to risk what I've got.

Ahhh that makes a lot more sense haha if you are already pretty much set it doesn't make sense to fix what's broke! I respect that.

I, however, am quite young, and have to get through quite a few decades to even call anywhere near retirement so I was thinking for far into the future. I have bought four 30 year notes to pad a midlife crisis spending (probably?) that pay out in 26, 27, 28, and 29 years respectively. Its only a couple thousand each, and on 2.1% interest yearly, but its only what I can manage. (I'm not even 20 yet lmao)

TL;DR I was more or less stuck in a ultra-forward thinking mindset so I mighta come off a little too strong in my opinion. :sweatr:

• Neither. I'm not a risk taker.

Then you need to buy some gold - the ultimate non-risk asset. All currencies are going to zero, some faster than others. There is no safety in cash (beyond keeping a moderate amount set aside for emergencies) and the equity markets have become horribly manipulated.

• Then you need to buy some gold - the ultimate non-risk asset. All currencies are going to zero, some faster than others. There is no safety in cash (beyond keeping a moderate amount set aside for emergencies) and the equity markets have become horribly manipulated.

As I said, I'm not interested. I will leave my money where it is. It is too risky to invest somewhere else and I can't be bothered. Will you please leave me alone on that?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!