Why is no one talking about the fact that Thailand has 2 mentors in top Chinese shows but Korea has none?

• China surely was not a small insignificant nation during Cold War. It is a common knowledge in SEA that the communist militia in the region was armed with the Chinese support.

Korea doing it is neither better nor worse than China blocking (some) Korean stuff now.

It is not just entertainment where banning and prejudice occurs. It is across all of Korean society. Some of the most famous food (featured in K-movies/dramas) are Chinese and the Chinese people who developed it in Korea suffered a lot of prejudice.

South Korean has NOT banned Chinese content. It's just the lack of demand. The prejudice is a whole another topic.

But that is more than enough reason to place cultural restrictions on Chinese culture.

Stop the groundless accuse of the Korean restricting Chinese culture.

• China surely was not a small insignificant nation during Cold War. It is a common knowledge in SEA that the communist militia in the region was armed with the Chinese support.

South Korean has NOT banned Chinese content. It's just the lack of demand. The prejudice is a whole another topic.

I think you missed the scope of my statement. The statement was regarding to the Korean War ERA, not the cold war ERA. Two different times, two different Chinas under two completely different leaders.

Also, I don't think VVisual meant banning even though it was stated but more emphasis on prejudice. The thing is, prejudice is prevalent among most Asian societies because of Race Superiority and cultural differences particularly ideology... Some Koreans think they are the best while on the other hand some Chinese think they're the most superior race (You see this quite often with Chinese people calling themselves the "Original Korean Overlords" while they think U.S. is the current). It's similar to how during the #CancelKorea movement, many Korean's stereotyped Filipinos on the internet call them short, dark, etc... Koreans restricting Chinese and their culture isn't groundless accusation, because it's exist and vice vera. The difference is, the Korean government isn't doing it but their citizens and entities. The reason why the government doesn't take action is because China's impact on Korea's economy is significant. If the Korean government takes measures on the Chinese government, Chinese government will for sure take reciprocal measures, and the effect will be magnitudes greater than Korea's restrictions on China and it'll be too much for Korea to bare (recall china's boycott of Korean travel because of THAAD, it hit Korea's tourist industry extremely hard particularly the working class). Furthermore, if you follow international politics, if the pandemic wasn't present, the Korean President planned on visiting China for bilateral talks to tighten the relationship.

✧ "Got no time for haters 모두 다 집어치워 버려" ✧

• It's good that you're so well read on these matters, but have you talked to real people (i.e. South Koreans, mainland Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese) about them?

Some of your points are well put but I'm not sure how they all apply. In the 80's we were still reducing stockpiles and now we are on the way back up. In fact, the peak of nuclear stockpiling was in the 80's by several fold. Things are much better (lower) now in terms of destructive capacity but the weapons are also better.

There is always new technology that the average person is unable to grok. Hypersonic missiles are just another delivery system that requires time before there is something defensive. Even in the 80's the US announced the Star Wars program to great expense before concluding it wasn't possible at the time. But I digress...

I'm not sure why you're assuming a particular media bias if you don't know which sources I've read. I can admit not having read Chinese sources, but it's not hard to read Hong Kong and other Asian sources above and beyond the normal US sources. Are you saying that you've read Chinese sources and the government doesn't come off a little touchy? I've even listed reasons that can rationalize that touchiness. One area where I can admit bias is just in the general amount of information--I learn more about Chinese government proclamations through reporting from Hong Kong sources in English for example (i.e. SCMP). It's actually easier these days to find more different sources.

You have the main gist of the unification problem in Korea. It has always been a much more difficult problem than German reunification. When I talk to friends in Korea, it also becomes clear that it is a lot more complex than a desire vs economic reality.

I don't think we're too far apart on the right of sovereignty and protection of national interest of nations. Regardless of media source, it's also easy to critique the US for past actions that turned out badly (over and over again) and also the Chinese government for current actions.

In any case, I call for an armistice in our discussion. :-)

We're clearly spamming people who might want to discuss the original topic: Thai mentors in Chinese survival programs.

No, it was outright bans on Chinese language and culture from the South Korean government.

https://thediplomat.com/2015/1…ith-the-chinese-language/

"In 1970, then-South Korean President Park Chung-hee banned Chinese characters from being taught in schools or used in official documents."

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• Can we get back to the current day in this discussion? You're using things from a very different time--Park Chung-Hee was a military dictator and he could mandate such things a lot more easily. Otherwise, other people can cite all the crazy stuff from the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution with very little relevance.

I interpret the k-pop ban (and it's not really lifted if groups cannot promote) as a response to cultural influence from South Korea. It's understandable as China has protected and continues to protect local industries as many countries do to varying degrees. Both Japan and China have similar initiatives to promote local creative industries...just the Korean initiative is working particularly well so far.

The only evidence I've seen so far of things opening up is one particular Korean game has been approved by Chinese regulators back in December. We can see how things turn out after countries open up. For now, I'm happy to see how talent on Chinese survival shows is progressing. It's weird how they're airing at the same time though.

Any preference for YWY vs Chuang?

• I'm favoring Chuang2021 so far! Both Chuang and YWY are crowding my timeline with stuff every second.

But Chuang's are all about the trainees. While half of the YWY's ones are about Lisa. I love Lisa but still! lol

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• I think you missed the scope of my statement. The statement was regarding to the Korean War ERA, not the cold war ERA. Two different times, two different Chinas under two completely different leaders.

Also, I don't think VVisual meant banning even though it was stated but more emphasis on prejudice. The thing is, prejudice is prevalent among most Asian societies because of Race Superiority and cultural differences particularly ideology... Some Koreans think they are the best while on the other hand some Chinese think they're the most superior race (You see this quite often with Chinese people calling themselves the "Original Korean Overlords" while they think U.S. is the current). It's similar to how during the #CancelKorea movement, many Korean's stereotyped Filipinos on the internet call them short, dark, etc... Koreans restricting Chinese and their culture isn't groundless accusation, because it's exist and vice vera. The difference is, the Korean government isn't doing it but their citizens and entities. The reason why the government doesn't take action is because China's impact on Korea's economy is significant. If the Korean government takes measures on the Chinese government, Chinese government will for sure take reciprocal measures, and the effect will be magnitudes greater than Korea's restrictions on China and it'll be too much for Korea to bare (recall china's boycott of Korean travel because of THAAD, it hit Korea's tourist industry extremely hard particularly the working class). Furthermore, if you follow international politics, if the pandemic wasn't present, the Korean President planned on visiting China for bilateral talks to tighten the relationship.

Korean War (1950-1953) clearly took place during Cold War (1947-1953).

The unanimous private rejection to consume Chinese content is nothing similar to Chinese state sanction. Neither it is universally labeled as a form of ban nor restriction.

Yes, both the Korean and the Chinese can be extreme on nationalism. The name of China in Chinese is 中国, which original meant the country that was the center of the world. How full of oneself to name one's country that way.

However the Korean (or the Chinese) views SEA is irrelevant to this topic.

When the Korean citizen has already rejected to consume Chinese content, there is zero use to officially prohibit it. Just like how India has never banned Chinese drama nor film despite banned various Chinese products.

If you followed international politics well, you should have been aware of "the Quad". USA and Japan have been courting South Korea to join anti-China alliance currently consisting of USA, Japan, India and Australia. This is a reason why China has become somewhat more friendly to South Korea.

So, Park Chunghee only banned Chinese characters in textbooks and state documents but not private publishing? If I understand right, most South Korean newspapers at the time occasionally used Chinese characters to disambiguate.

It's weird how they're airing at the same time though.

Previously, Youth With You was slated to start airing 1 day before Chuang but Tencent made last minute decision to move up the airing of Chuang 1 day faster.

• "How full of oneself to name one's country that way."

You shouldn't be subjective when debating. Otherwise your argument is less convincing.

In Chinese, America is called a Beautiful Country, I guess that also debunks your statement.

It's similar to how we call ourselves Americans even though we are not the only country in the Americas.

I'm fully aware of the quad, it's just another way to suppress China's rise. It's nothing typical, when an emerging power exist, it happens throughout history. Also, I was referring the height of the cold war where nuclear race was at it's highest from 1979 to 1985, because we were talking about the height the nuclear tension.

You are also wrong about India not banning Chinese content. Indirect ban of Chinese culture is present: https://timesofindia.indiatime…/articleshow/79389525.cms.

• "How full of oneself to name one's country that way."

You shouldn't be subjective when debating. Otherwise your argument is less convincing.

In Chinese, America is called a Beautiful Country, I guess that also debunks your statement.

You are also wrong about India not banning Chinese content. Indirect ban of Chinese culture is present: https://timesofindia.indiatime…/articleshow/79389525.cms.

You should have learnt history as you had preached. China once did believe everyone else in the world was inferior to them and learnt it was not true in a cruel way through "Opium War". Also, a basic knowledge in Chinese will educate you why USA is beautiful, Germany is righteous and Thailand is peaceful in Chinese. It's transliteration.

Mobile application is cultural content?

• You should have learnt history as you had preached. China once did believe everyone else in the world was inferior to them and learnt it was not true in a cruel way through "Opium War". Also, a basic knowledge in Chinese will educate you why USA is beautiful, Germany is righteous and Thailand is peaceful in Chinese. It's transliteration.

The time when China named themselves, they were isolated. To the North are deserts, to the east and south are seas and ocean, and to the west is the Himalayas. It has nothing to do with superiority but rather geography.

You are correct, when China names anther country they usually use transliteration but the meaning of the countries when transliterated are always positive. It could've been defined in a negative way, which was my point.

I said indirect ban as many of the apps contain Chinese culture such as TV shows and music.

I'm not biting on what this sentence means: "learnt it was not true in a cruel way through 'Opium War'"

• You should have learnt history as you had preached. China once did believe everyone else in the world was inferior to them and learnt it was not true in a cruel way through "Opium War". Also, a basic knowledge in Chinese will educate you why USA is beautiful, Germany is righteous and Thailand is peaceful in Chinese. It's transliteration.

well there was also this:

The Taiping Rebellion, also known as the Taiping Civil War or the Taiping Revolution, was a massive rebellion or civil war that was waged in China from 1850 to 1864, between the established Qing dynasty and the theocratic Taiping Heavenly Kingdom. After fighting the bloodiest civil war in world history, with some historians believing fatalities to be as high as 70 million, the established Qing government won decisively, although the outcome is considered a pyrrhic victory

I don't think there was ever an civil war in any other country that would take/"cost" so many lives...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The time when China named themselves, they were isolated. To the North are deserts, to the east and south are seas and ocean, and to the west is the Himalayas. It has nothing to do with superiority but rather geography.

You are correct, when China names anther country they usually use transliteration but the meaning of the countries when transliterated are always positive. It could've been defined in a negative way, which was my point.

I said indirect ban as many of the apps contain Chinese culture such as TV shows and music.

I'm not biting on what this sentence means: "learnt it was not true in a cruel way through 'Opium War'"

A quick search would have educated you that the term 中國 was first used during Western Zhou Era. I'm extremely confident that Western Zhou did not reach Himalaya nor any desert. And, at the time China had expanded to reach those, the Chinese was knowledgeable in geography enough to know there was a vast area in the west. To interpret that its location was at the center of the world already was self-centric. (Again, it would not be this discussion had you learnt history.)

Yes. China could have been stupid enough to use a negative character to represent a country and caused an unnecessary dispute.

India govt made no attempt to restrict Indian streaming platforms from Chinese content import. You argument was invalid.

The Qing ruler thought the white was barbaric and less intelligible thus continuously overlooked British naval technology development that it was totally defenseless against British steel fleet. Opium War was an easy triumph to Britain.

• China just means Middle Kingdom in Chinese and has nothing to do with center of the world you are claiming. It just means that there is a middle or center of the country regardless of territory changes. If China really thinks it is center of the world, Zheng He's expeditions would have colonized every territory before western colonial powers actually did. Hell they even helped locals in Southeast Asian fought off pirates. The only self centric countries were western colonial powers with Japan. The current one is the good old US of A.

• You just made an assumption. https://www.ushistory.org/civ/…%20the%20Middle%20Kingdom. Look at this article...

I sent you a list of APPs that are banned... A few of the are streaming APP which streams Chinese content. Like I said, that is a indirect ban on Chinese Content. For example, indians can't watch Chuang because it's only streamed on WeTV.

Also I'm not sure what you are trying to convey with your opium war statement. My original point was, the Chinese people suffered through the opium war. It's not about underestimating, it's about the Qing Emperor made opium illegal and the british/french fought to force trade opium. From a historical point of the view the only thing westerners have been good at is colonizing and imperialsm (which still exist today).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!