Liking K-pop as a male is hard

• I got into K-pop back in the day when bigbang debuted and I like many other artists like 2NE1, some of BTS is good and ITZY, but everytime I played k-pop many of my friends commented, that it is gay to listen to K-pop. I'm gay tho lol, but I hide it and keep to myself, nobody knows and it's not any body bussiness tbh. Sometimes it really makes me feel uncomfortable and sad. Now I stopped playing k-pop around people and I hide the fact I like it. I wish people were more accepting of others differences. 😔 have you ever experienced situations like that and how did you deal with them? ;( sorry if this thread is inappropriate. Do females also experience something like this?

• G-DRAG0N

Changed the title of the thread from “Liking K-pop as a male is really hard” to “Liking K-pop as a male is hard”.
  • well im a straight female. but i hide pretty much 100% of whatever it is that i like from others. like im not sharing with people at work that im into kpop, no wayyyyyz.

• does it really matter if one is gay or straight or otherwise?

liking something should transcend gender and sexuality and colour and whatever

• people will keep living their narrowminded lifestyle, unfortunately. im glad you were able to overcome that and keep listening to music that makes you happy!

edit: i just realized you're new to allkpop, welcome!

Edited once, last by zuzuhhaa ().

• It's alright man, my friends know I kind of like it and they make some jokes here and there but all's good. Listening to x music doesn't determine your sexuality and just enjoy what makes you happy! If your friends don't dig it, don't make a big deal about it, friends aren't supposed to agree on absolutely everything or to have the same taste than you, just tell them you find it cool and you like the music, if they are truly your friends they will stop judging you for that eventually.

• The weird side of the straights consider almost everything as gay (even taking proper shower), so don't worry.

Personal story but I remember someone asking a friend of mine (who's not gay) if he was gay and he asked back why and the person said "you always walk around with an umbrella".

That's how far the stupidity can reach.

Men can't even breath properly without others questioning them and that sucks immensely. People should live their lives freely and with none of these social "rules".

But anyway, I totally get your point and here's a place you can talk with people who might also hide they like Kpop (for whatever reason).

WELCOME! <3

• This is why I never really told my friend i liked kpop even when gangnam style blew up. I told 2 of them and the first thing they was said was "that's pretty gay". I made it out it was just a one time thing because I wasn't bothered to deal gay jokes, I already got the pedo jokes for looking anime lol

Weirdly a dude (me) into watching girls sing and dance is gay but it's totally straight for dudes to watch big hulking oiled men in tight undies wrestle on TV :pepe-smug:

• Welcome to AKP!

I agree with what someone said above about getting new friends. Some people will always make assumptions and try to fit you into a box because of the music you listen to, what you wear, what you look like. I went through a whole period of time where I tried to avoid Kpop and not listen to it tied into the impression that “grown ups don’t listen to Kpop” and it’s something you should grow out of.

1. This is ridiculous.

2. The person focusing on that perspective was trash.

I haven’t bothered to keep it secret since removing that toxicity from my life. I enjoy my music and talking about it. Anyone who knows me know I love talking and listening to music..and Kpop.

Do people sometimes make snarky judgmental comments? Sure, but as the song goes, pissing in my yard won’t make yours any greener. So I ignore them and focus on what makes me happy. :borahae:

(Btw, everyone at work knows I’m the Kpop girl but I do work in a field where creativity and individuality is the norm. You’d be surprised how many people are closet fans or become them once you introduce them to some songs..)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Well it's the world like that same as male can't like female singers or you will be gay immediately imagine how hard is for older people who for actually "normal" people they should listen to old music like wtf.

Honestly I stopped caring about what others think about me in general since years from now. Music is global and for everyone you shouldn't be framed to like just 1 type of music because it's where YOU for "normal" people fits.

Imagine how sad will be when we grow older and we should only listen to "moms" music thats bs. I say stop worrying about what others think about you because the life is too short to worry about that.

I went too deep into this :pleading:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!