Concept similarities are okay

• Agreed. I also find it funny when we constantly have this scenario:

Kpop fan: "I hope the new group coming out isn't girl crush or cute"

New group: releases drastically different teaser with a crazy new sound

Same Kpop fan: "I don't like this, it's trash!"

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• This reminds me of that time when a bunch of Blinks got mad at Tri.be because on of their songs had a line that sounded similar to How You Like That. Instead of getting annoyed, I loved the small detail. I also loved both songs in general, so that helped too. I don’t think Tri.be deserved hate for that of all things. Neither BLACKPINK or Tri.be even made the song themselves, if you want to be mad at anyone, blame the producers. Blinks also claimed another one of Tri.be’s songs sounded like Pretty Savage, but I didn’t hear the similarities on that one. Seeing similarities like these make me happy that my favorite groups can inadvertently cross over, not mad. The song mashups and remixes between two or more different groups are cool too (God’s Ddu-Du Ddu-Du, Classy Savage and so on). Have a great day/night!

• Relax. Unless we enter a future where companies explore outer space to find new sounds, outfit inspiration from aliens, or philosophical theories created by aliens, it's okay to expect similarities or repeated ideas. There's only so much to invent and innovate. Theoretically, there's a limited number of combinations of sounds that can be meshed together to create a song, even fewer options for concepts. We're all influenced by each other consciously or subconsciously.

I don't want to see any hate towards any group or company for a similarity that lasts for a few seconds.

Might as well complain about how tons of K-pop hits have the lyrics "eopseo" or "feel so high."

Outer space is a vacuum with no sounds at all. :smirks2:

• Agreed. I never get the whole drama when this or that song shares some sounds with other former songs, or when this or that concept or style was used by other groups and artists before. There's only so much you can vary in sounds, styles, concepts etc before you have some similarities with some others.

Consciously and subconsciously people will put influences of former stuff by others into their creations.

That said, there's still a lot of styles, genres, sounds, instruments etc that have been less explored in K-pop and that might enrichen it.

Also, when people say they want something else than girl crush or cute, doesn't mean that anything else is ok: they still might dislike the other stuff, it just means they want some more variety and diversity than what they've been exposed to.

Of course, when you step outside of K-pop, there's a whole universe of other music genres, sounds and styles that sound really different that people can dive into.

But even in K-pop, there have been and could be genres that are very viable and that offer something else than girl crush or cute/bright variants.

Like retro like some groups did very well a year back, or sexy like Sistar, Girl's Day and others did, or comical/parody like Crayon Pop. Or horror/rock like Dreamcatcher are doing - a K-pop rock fusion would be an interesting genre in itself, those that experimented with it had some amazing end results.

There are so many subgenres that could be explored within K-pop itself, that currently isn't happening except for a few groups.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Relax. Unless we enter a future where companies explore outer space to find new sounds, outfit inspiration from aliens, or philosophical theories created by aliens

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!