The main reason behind BTS success are their main singles.

• That's how it is for every ARMY I guess. I'm just saying that if their main singles weren't as good as they are, many people probably wouldn't have given their albums a listen to discover more gems from their discography.

Because I am kinda like that. If I don't like a main single, I rarely listen to the album. If I hadn't liked 'Boy With Luv' & 'Fake Love', I most probably wouldn't have listened 'LY : Tear' which became my favourite BTS album which lead to me stanning them.

I think the same happens with casual listeners or radio listeners. For anyone to be your fan, you have to listen the songs other than main singles. Because more often than not main singles are that for commercial purposes and songs on the album show what artists really want to express with the album.

Do you actually listen to songs in album order like that? When I discovered BTS, Spotify was already a thing and I just chose to listen to the most played songs! The songs spanned several albums, so I only got to know each album after that. It is true that I decided to deep dive into the albums that had the songs I liked the most first though.

• Do you actually listen to songs in album order like that? When I discovered BTS, Spotify was already a thing and I just chose to listen to the most played songs! The songs spanned several albums, so I only got to know each album after that. It is true that I decided to deep dive into the albums that had the songs I liked the most first though.

Yeah I listen to albums when I am exploring any artist's discography. I mean there's a process. I have to like atleast 4 main singles of the said artist for me to give listen to their albums then I have to like atleast 2 of those albums to think about listening to their discography.

I very rarely listen to Spotify curated playlists.

• I mean almost all of their songs deserve to be promoted. They are just that good. But they have to choose one and they always end up choosing the best one. They are just too smart for us mere human beings.

I have absolute favourite in BST. But choosing one of SD, FL, INU as my 2nd fave is impossible. So I understand the struggle. Being ARMY is too difficult. We have to choose favourites amongst these all :cryingk:

• I think both fire and Blood sweat and tears helped them to grow their popularity in international markets both songs are really good and one of their best in kpop. also why u didn't include dynamite in the list u mentioned ?

• I agree that their main singles are attention-grabbers and help people dive into the rabbit hole, but I would argue that the main reason behind their success is actually because of their b-sides. Most artists have main singles that are meant to gain a ton of attention and hype. But when you decide to check out other work from these artists, expectations fall flat. Many mainstream artists don't put nearly as much effort into their b-sides and instead opt for filler tracks in their albums that are underwhelming at best. This is where BTS's power lies. ALL of their album songs are top-notch quality to the point where any one of them could have been promoted as a main single (exs: Bapsae, Outro:Wings, Paradise, Dis-ease, Louder than Bombs, etc). Their consistency when it comes to making quality music like this is why they have such a high conversion rate of causal listener to stan compared to their western and kpop counterparts. So while main singles are very beneficial and contribute to the vast majority of first-time listens, their b-sides are what make these listeners stay for the long run :borahae:

Good point you made there. Liked this different perspective on the matter :thumbup:

• I think both fire and Blood sweat and tears helped them to grow their popularity in international markets both songs are really good and one of their best in kpop. also why u didn't include dynamite in the list u mentioned ?

I was talking about only main singles in this thread since my aim was to show why people end up discovering BTS albums which leads to them stanning BTS. 'Dyanmite' is an unusual case in BTS discography. I mean it was released as a standalone single which was first for BTS. English one at that. Another first. But then it was added to 'BE' because of its impact. I know the impact of the song but don't know how to classify it so I just didn't use it.

• agreed, it drives me kind of crazy when i comment on how i couldnt finsh a title track and someone recommends the album....if i hated the song the company thought had the biggest appeal why the f would i waste more time listening to bsides?

Yeah literally same...... Who has time to listen to all the songs from all the albums of all the artists??? If the song someone's spending so much money and time promoting is not good then there's very small chance other will be good lol......

• oh i move this thread !

The one thing i was so astounded by when i started discovering BTS( manly BTS title tracks and songs with mvs on youtube ) is how versatile their style of music is.

There is literally something for everyone and every mood which is unheard of tbh. I cant seem to think of another act that does it so successfully.

I diverge from ur opinion a little bit in thinking alltheir songs with an mv including their title tracks are the main reason for their success.

• oh i move this thread !

The one thing i was so astounded by when i started discovering BTS( manly BTS title tracks and songs with mvs on youtube ) is how versatile their style of music is.

There is literally something for everyone and every mood which is unheard of tbh. I cant seem to think of another act that does it so successfully.

I diverge from ur opinion a little bit in thinking alltheir songs with an mv including their title tracks are the main reason for their success.

Yeah I agree that other songs with MV like 'Just One Day', 'War of Hormone', 'Save Me', etc. are also intrumental in their success but I chose to talk about only main singles because of the reason I mentioned in the point 2 in the OP.

The songs they choose as a main single give people an idea what they can expect from their album (which always leads to people end up stanning them).Either sonically or conceptually. So I just give them a little more importance.

Anyways BTS is just unique phenomenon and the fact we all have different reasons why we started stanning them just shows how different BTS as a musician and artist are from others.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!