Kpop Male Soloists

• Se7en, Rain, Psy - Whatever happened to male soloists who are/were not part of any groups.

There are many balladeer type male soloists, but the Psy type dance bopping soloists seem to have vanished.

It is all some group or ex-group idols who are doing some solo stints.

Kang Daniel seems to be the closest, but he too was a part of a pretty successful, even if short lived group - the Produce alums have a different dynamic altogether.

To an extent it is true of women too.

Lee Hi, Chungha, Somi - all came from hit TV shows. But fine.

Heize debuted before, but became popular with Unpretty Rapstar.

Ailee is a good case, just audition and talent.

But still I hear more of women soloists in Kpop, than men. (non-group).

Male soloists seem more prominent in trot and ballads - Hyoshin or Young-woong

What is the dynamic?

• I think male idol soloists are less proeminent than female soloists for the same reasons boygroups are less popular among the GP than girlgroups.

The GP seems to not really be interested in male idols nowadays and they usually don't have big album sales to make up for it the way boygroups do.

Edited once, last by h28 ().

• I think solos from groups became alot more popular and they took up the market

There is no space for soloist to grow on their own

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think solos from groups became alot more popular and they took up the market

Actually Balladeer, Trot soloist are doing very well indeed. LYW is the breakout star for the last 2 years and Paul Kim actually defeated BTS in digitals in 2019 and is still doing well.

It is just the Kpop Soloist who are getting scarce, or rather group members themselves do solos, so no fulltime soloists nowadays.

This is exactly what I was going to say. The soloists from groups have greater name recognition right out the gate..

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Isnt Giriboy doing great? I think khh and krnb has many male soloists that are growing in popularity in SK and even have fanbases willing to see them on tour

Was asking about KpopSolos.. yes Hiphip, RnB, Trot are all doing great.

• bbgc Interesting thread, thanks. It is so tough for non-group soloists these days.

Back in 2007, my sole bias did debut as a soloist .. you can watch his old performances at the beginning of this video and at 33:18

Hwang Chi Yeul

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't understand Korean so info here might be not that accurate. For his debut HCY was probably promoted as a ballad-singing Bboy. "Five Senses", his first full album in 2007 contained not just ballads but also upbeat songs.

Hwang Chi Yeul "Five Senses"

https://www.melon.com/album/detail.htm?albumId=352312

The above 2007 album was produced by Han Seong Ho and Oh Seong Hoon, who produced albums for artists like SG Wannabe, Seeya etc.

Not long after HCY debuted, his management agency failed and HCY was forced to go on musical hiatus for about 9 years. He earned a living by being a vocal trainer of idol groups like Infinite, NU'EST, Lovelyz, After School, Hello Venus, Golden Child hyung line etc.

In early 2015 when he was about to give up his dream of being a singer, his singing career was rebooted by his appearing as a mystery contestant on Season 1 Ep 2 of Mnet's "I Can See Your Voice".

Now he is not having an easy time at all in the ever-so-competitive Kpop industry, but he does run his own agency (his first signing is a contestant from S 9 of ICSYV namely Kim Chang Yeon) and so he can make the music he wishes to make. Personally I want him to do more rock ballads, more dance music (he did start out as a Bboy after all) as opposed to the farewell ballads he loves to release.

TLDR There won't be any non-group male soloists able to replicate the success of the three artists mentioned in the opening thread.

• External Content www.youtube.com

HCY - the only non-group Kpop male soloist in the top 20 :) Thanks to Korean Sales for the video.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!