Posts by cynkdf

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hwang Chi Yeul - While I'm In Love

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hwang Chi Yeul - Forgive Me (Strangers Again OST 1)

See how Hwang Chi Yeul engages both the legendary Ms Patti Kim and the audience at KBS Immortal Songs 2 :)

HCY - the only non-group Kpop male soloist in the top 20 :) Thanks to Korean Sales for the video.

Hwang Chi Yeul - Even For A While OST 3 Ruler - Master of the Mask

Noooo .. so sad to hear this, the end of a superb music programme! Always looked forward to Hwang Chi Yeul's appearances on this show (his first was in 2017) .. this particular clip is interesting, when YHY ( a great host) asked HCY about the famous singers he could mimic, such as Im Jae Bum, Kim Dong Ryul, Cho Yong Pil, Ha Dong Qn, Park Hyo Shin etc:

bbgc Interesting thread, thanks. It is so tough for non-group soloists these days.

Back in 2007, my sole bias did debut as a soloist .. you can watch his old performances at the beginning of this video and at 33:18

Hwang Chi Yeul

I don't understand Korean so info here might be not that accurate. For his debut HCY was probably promoted as a ballad-singing Bboy. "Five Senses", his first full album in 2007 contained not just ballads but also upbeat songs.

Hwang Chi Yeul "Five Senses"

https://www.melon.com/album/detail.htm?albumId=352312

The above 2007 album was produced by Han Seong Ho and Oh Seong Hoon, who produced albums for artists like SG Wannabe, Seeya etc.

Not long after HCY debuted, his management agency failed and HCY was forced to go on musical hiatus for about 9 years. He earned a living by being a vocal trainer of idol groups like Infinite, NU'EST, Lovelyz, After School, Hello Venus, Golden Child hyung line etc.

In early 2015 when he was about to give up his dream of being a singer, his singing career was rebooted by his appearing as a mystery contestant on Season 1 Ep 2 of Mnet's "I Can See Your Voice".

Now he is not having an easy time at all in the ever-so-competitive Kpop industry, but he does run his own agency (his first signing is a contestant from S 9 of ICSYV namely Kim Chang Yeon) and so he can make the music he wishes to make. Personally I want him to do more rock ballads, more dance music (he did start out as a Bboy after all) as opposed to the farewell ballads he loves to release.

TLDR There won't be any non-group male soloists able to replicate the success of the three artists mentioned in the opening thread.

2014 Kdrama Discovery of Love has been made into an ongoing Naver webtoon:

Its first OST drops on 30 June - it's sung by Hwang Chi Yeul and is a remake of an old song.

노래 뭐 듣지? - 나 군입대 할 때 듣고 오열한 띵곡인데....... 🎧 황치열 - 내 눈물이 하는 말 (30일 6PM 발매) | Facebook | By 노래 뭐 듣지? | 나 군입대 할 때 듣고 오열한 띵곡인데....... 🎧 황치열 - 내 눈물이 하는 말 (30일 6PM 발매)
    26 тыс. views, 314 likes, 9 loves, 24 comments, 91 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from 노래 뭐 듣지?: 나 군입대 할 때 듣고 오열한 띵곡인데....... 🎧 황치열 - 내 눈물이 하는 말 (30일 6PM 발매)
    www.facebook.com

Teaser:

Baek Ji Young is the legend for the episode of "Immortal Songs" that aired on KBS today (her second special as legend). It's an honour for HCY to be featured in the stage with the legendary BJY - he won the first IS2 BJY special back in 2015.

Any OST by Hwang Chi Yeul especially:

So glad to read this thread and see my sole bias mentioned! OP, thank you!

Hwang Chi Yeul (debuted in 2007 - but forced to go on about 9 years' hiatus because his company folded soon after)

He's known more for his sad farewell ballads, but I'd like him to try more rock ballads like this - my favourite song from his latest album "By My Side"

Another song I love from "By My Side":

Favourite HCY OST - from "Ruler - Master of the Mask" in 2017

His live stages are even better than his CDs.

Soloist Hwang Chi Yeul did an interview for Lotte Duty Free Online Magazine (June 2022) recently.

LDF MAGAZINE VOL.34 INTERVIEW - Lotte Duty Free
    DISCOVER YOUR K-LIFESTYLE, @ LDF MAGAZINE | LOTTE DUTY FREE
    www.ilottedfs.com

Thanks to LDF for this video: