Why do kpoppers project their values ​​onto idols?

• I was thinking about this, kpop group fans want their favorite idols to have the same values they believe in, whether political or cultural.

Some examples I can think of at the moment:

• Some fans wanting idols to be Christians, even pray for idols to become Christians
    • Some armys angry with Jin (not sure if it was him) for not having 100% supported the idea of BTS PAVED THE WAY imposed by the fan base
    • ONCES mad at Jihyo for thanking BTS for opening doors for K-pop in the US market; Bang Chan saying BTS PAVED THE WAY and making some stays mad
    • Some vegan armys criticizing BTS because of their partnership with McDonalds
    • Every time an idol takes a picture with another idol from a rival group, there's always some fan base fight

There are several other examples but it's stupid how kpop fans want idols to think like a stan twt teenager :nct11:

• I think it’s the opposite. I don’t think kpop fans are virtuous at all. If the world really was as accepting and socially aware as stan Twitter claims to be, it wouldn’t be in this state.

It’s a bunch of hypocrites who want to feel mortally superior online for the 0.5 sec of gratification they get by putting other people down :pepepizza:

• Litto

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • I think it’s the opposite. I don’t think kpop fans are virtuous at all. If the world really was as accepting and socially aware as stan Twitter claims to be, it wouldn’t be in this state.

It’s a bunch of hypocrites who want to feel mortally superior online for the 0.5 sec of gratification they get by putting other people down :pepepizza:

You were really accurate in your comment. :nct31:

• Its not just idols

people project their own values onto others all the time

surprising everyone is shit at living up to their own values

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• People have been forcing heteronormativity down people’s throats for the entirety of human existence so like that’s not a new thing or a stan Twitter thing.

So did your grandma :pepepizza:

So? I've seen fans on twitter force their idol to be straight, cis, gay, bi, trans, everything. I wasn't talking about any specific sexuality/gender. I've seen it all, and all of it is equally cringe

• So? I've seen fans on twitter force their idol to be straight, cis, gay, bi, trans, everything. I wasn't talking aobut any specific sexuality/gender. I've seen it all, and all of it is equally cringe

If lying like that helps you feel better power to you. People only speak about ‘forcing’ when it’s queer identities.

People have been speculating “oh this person is dating this person” and shipping co stars and what not long before stan Twitter ever existed. Except it was more likely to be straight ships.

You saying Twitter explains how you’re only bothered when the topic is queer :pepepizza:

• If lying like that helps you feel better power to you. People only speak about ‘forcing’ when it’s queer identities.

People have been speculating “oh this person is dating this person” and shipping co stars and what not long before stan Twitter ever existed. Except it was more likely to be straight ships.

You saying Twitter explains how you’re only bothered when the topic is queer :pepepizza:

I'm queer myself (biromantic) and have dated both genders. Still cringe of me if I forced my idol to be biromantic too. Seems desperate,

• If lying like that helps you feel better power to you. People only speak about ‘forcing’ when it’s queer identities.

You're right, because we have the first impression of someone when we don't know it, it's heteronormativity

• I Know. But you say fans project their values. So, what value are projecting here? Because i only see pettiness.

In the case of Jin, Jihyo and Bang Chan it's the same. All this BTS PAVED THE WAY speech where people claim BTS is responsible while there are people who totally deny the impact of BTS

So, some people who are not armys expect Jihyo and Bang Chan to have the same attitudes as them

• Its not just idols

people project their own values onto others all the time

surprising everyone is shit at living up to their own values

This. It's not exclusive to kpop at all. People like to think that others are like them, especially ones they look up to and/or care for. When they realize that the person they were admiring has a different value set, they experience cognitive dissonance and some people have a hard time with that.

• In the case of Jin, Jihyo and Bang Chan it's the same. All this BTS PAVED THE WAY speech where people claim BTS is responsible while there are people who totally deny the impact of BTS

So, some people who are not armys expect Jihyo and Bang Chan to have the same attitudes as them

Look, for what i understand values are supposedly good. Like the christian values you mentioned, or the vegan thing. So, in this case, WHAT VALUE ACCORDING TO YOU ARE PROJECTING HERE?, the one who those onces think is a value. Thats all i want to know.

• Look, for what i understand values are supposedly good. Like the christian values you mentioned, or the vegan thing. So, in this case, WHAT VALUE ACCORDING TO YOU ARE PROJECTING HERE?, the one who those onces think is a value. Thats all i want to know.

You're right at some point, values have an intrinsically good sense. But here in Brazil we also use the term values for people's personal opinions, which cannot necessarily be good.

• You're right at some point, values have an intrinsically good sense. But here in Brazil we also use the term values for people's personal opinions, which cannot necessarily be good.

Oh, now understand. Thanks. About the subject. Fans usually idolize people with their values, i mean, you would idolize someone who, lets say, is a racist when you are not? Is a very human thing, ofc the problem is sometimes people force their values.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!