People are SCARED....

• In last few days,

I have observed this persistent need to compare streams with sales... It has never been done before in KPOP... Nobody cared about matching streams and sales back in 2012-13-14-15-16-17-18-19... But ever since 2020-21... There marked a shift...

There is a common denominator here. Rise of NCT. It's like people cannot understand why so many people buy NCT's albums and why they sell so much... And it's just funny to observe this...

Now I can't wait for other mental gymnastics these people do.. Because it's only upward from here...

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• the timing of this thread feels too suspicious, but okay daniel

142358-yeri-laughing-drink-gif

• I remember lurking here early 2018 and people were sharing sales and streams and touring numbers since then, so not sure why you just noticed it now.

Because I wasn't an active fan but based on what I read on forums and twitter about Pre-2020... It wasn't quite like today

And I think you missed the point of this thread....so you do you.

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• Lol what are you talking about Daniel you sound like you joined kpop recently.

Streams and sales were always comparable. It wasn’t a thing because there wasn’t a huge gap before. BTS had the most international streams and the most sales. Twice and EXO had the next most streams and most sales. Etc.

It’s a valid concern and for me one without the other is a negative point against the group. (I’m talking globally) Ofc you can say you don’t care about it but that won’t stop it from being a relevant measure.

• Lol what are you talking about Daniel you sound like you joined kpop recently.

Streams and sales were always comparable. It wasn’t a thing because there wasn’t a huge gap before.

It’s a valid concern and for me one without the other is a negative point against the group. (I’m talking globally) Ofc you can say you don’t care about it but that won’t stop it from being a relevant measure.

2 years... Sound recently to me...

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• I have observed this persistent need to compare streams with sales... It has never been done before in KPOP... Nobody cared about matching streams and sales back in 2012-13-14-15-16-17-18-19... But ever since 2020-21... There marked a shift...

people did use to do that before. However, I do think there has been an increase in discussion about streaming matching sales.

• This makes no sense... people been talking about both for the longest time. And it's always a never ending war as some claim sales are more important since they bring in the most money. Then others who think your music actually being listened to (by fandom and public) should be a better metric.

Both are important but from my point of view getting high streams is better for your legacy and makes you a bigger artist, it means a lot of people loved your songs. For example michael jackson is dead and most people remember him for his biggest hits, personality and performances, thriller being the best selling album ever is just anecdotal

• U aren't making sense again.

Ofc streaming matter more NOW (increasingly so in the last 5 years) than it did before cuz we are after all in the streaming era. And markets all over the worlds are completing the digital shift (except for japan).

It's an essential measure to gouge a group's success. Some might even argue it's the most important measure.

It's just not convenient to u NOW cuz u stan nct with their bad streams and u suddenly very bothered by it.

• if anything, it feels like it's happening less. Back in the heyday of OH, for example, around 2015-18, when there wasn't huge gaps between artists like BTS or BlackPink, there was 10× more comparing and fanwars going on with girl group fans fighting over NGG title and Armys and EXOLs going at each other. Not to mention groups like Gfriend was living their peak too and it was a constant mess.

Now a days, because the gap is so huge, there is less to compare and fight about imho.

The only group I see that almost meets the same level as back then when it comes to sales drama i Aespa.

• U aren't making sense again.

Ofc streaming matter more NOW (increasingly so in the last 5 years) than it did before cuz we are after all in the streaming era. And markets all over the worlds are completing the digital shift (except for japan).

It's an essential measure to gouge a group's success. Some might even argue it's the most important measure.

It's just not convenient to u NOW cuz u stan nct with their bad streams and u suddenly very bothered by it.

Japan is following the trend as well. I read somewhere something like this is the first time since long time that Oricon year end #1 album doesn't have 1m sales.

It is only k-pop that is growing in physical sales. Mainly because of online fansigns giving international fans a chance to interact with their faves which was not possible during offline fansigns so many k-pop fans are mass buying which was not happening when there were offline fansigns. It was limited to only those who can attend the fansigns.

Add cheap prices of different versions of the kpop albums. Japanese albums cost $40-50 with limited editions costing more than $100 while kpop albums cost $16-20 with limited editions priced at $8-9 lol. These k-pop groups are not earning as much as their fans think they do with physicals sales compared to their Japanese counterpart because of these cheap tactics to mediaplay those HUGE sales....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!