Mass appeal song that’s a hit Vs music suiting your taste that ‘flops’ - which do you prefer for your group?

• I’m often times conflicted about this. I know the mass want songs like Love Shot or the eve from EXO. That’s what they love.

And they are good songs don’t get me wrong. They’re great songs. But they aren’t my favorite songs from exo by any means.

Like I’d take obsession any day of the week. Like obsession my one top title track. No joke.

So how do you guys feel? Do you think it’s best to have mass appeal songs for the title track and keep other genre songs as b sides or are you happy if the title track suits your taste the best even if they “flop” or “underperform”?

These don’t have to be mutually exclusive all the time. But when they are what do you prefer? Success for your group Vs just satisfying your musical taste?

• Tic_tac_toe

Changed the title of the thread from “Mass appeal Vs music suiting your taste - which do you prefer for your group?” to “Mass appeal song that’s a hit Vs music suiting your taste that ‘flops’ - which do you prefer for your group?”.
  • Definitely my taste so I can enjoy it but I know it’s better for the group I stan that they go with something more liked by the mass even if it’s not my taste I would be kinda happy for them because this unconscious Kpop supporting/stanning mentality we all have. I honestly fall with the majority most of the time anyway (I am not that expert and usually enjoy both the controversial experimental music and also what’s defined as “generic”, Bad Habits for example).

lt64IYu.gif

• A title track that has mass appeal and b-sides with more diverse music catered to the fans is the way to go. It works for both the group and the fans. Still, sometimes what is intended to have "mass appeal" doesn't always work out because the people's taste is always changing... :whatb:

Well, if things does go according to plan, I'm fine with title songs being catered to GP and B-sides to fans, the idols need to gain new fans in addition to retaining old fans after all.

• Definitely my taste so I can enjoy it but I know it’s better for the group I stan that they go with something more liked by the mass even if it’s not my taste I would be kinda happy for them because this unconscious Kpop supporting/stanning mentality we all have. I honestly fall with the majority most of the time anyway (I am not that expert and usually enjoy both the controversial experimental music and also what’s defined as “generic”, Bad Habits for example).

Sometimes I feel like it’s ok for the title tracks to be mass appeal and b sides to be my taste. I feel that would be smart.

I know that’s just stan mentality Kek but still I want my group to have that success.

• Do you think it’s best to have mass appeal songs for the title track and keep other genre songs as b sides or are you happy if the title track suits your taste the best even if they “flop” or “underperform”?

I think the title track for kpop group is always the best song for perform not the track that have mass appeal. Most of Kpop songs are mass appeal for me.

• Sometimes I feel like it’s ok for the title tracks to be mass appeal and b sides to be my taste. I feel that would be smart.

I know that’s just stan mentality Kek but still I want my group to have that success.

Yes this is ideal but they should also at least have one other track with a big budget MV because I care about the MVs almost as much as I care about the music in Kpop :pepe-sad:

lt64IYu.gif

• My taste. To hell with the GP give me all the bangers. 2x

• As long as the tt is successful enough to convince the company to continue to support the group, than I'd rather have the tracks be to my taste. I want the opportunity to see them performed and to get choreo and videos for them.

But if my taste would endanger the group, than I'm happy just getting bsides.... can I get promoted bsides tho?

• I don't mind mass appeal as long as I don't dislike the song.

The disadvantage of b-sides is that there's a high chance you will never see them performed.

Oh other than an couple of songs usually EXO perform all their b sides from an album. But yeah kfc with COVID and enlistment that’s not possible but usually tours have a lot of b sides.

• I want my faves to dodge success and sales as if those things are bullets and my faves are Neo in the Matrix.

This is such a funny comment when NCT could enter the second description for some people, I haven't seen Matrix so I don't entirely understand it but the whole NCT concept takes a lot from that movie, Neo being in their name is not a coincidence.

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• I don't like songs made just for mass appeal.. There is no artistic integrity in it. It's like they got tired of people not liking their songs or didn't get much attention and decided to bend to others' will.

It's just so stupid to me...

Make the music you want to your group to be represented by. Make the music that you would like to hear on any given day.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!