Is it really like this in the US ???

• Since i'm a child i've been so expose to US tv shows etc... so i always said that one day my dream was to finish school here and go live in the US and i know there was some things like health insurance that are really different from there

but watching this tik tok video i notice that there was so much things who are like shocking for me that Americans are just used to

and other things who are completely normal and are shocking for americans

and that's pretty surprising to heard

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• there is kind of Asian looking/mixed girl which talks about Austria

not sure if she said true tho

I mean about that free education in Austria

I'm sure they have few universities/colleges that offer it but I'm also sure there are a lot in which you need to pay monthly fee

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• ITS FIFTEEN F*CKING USD TO JUST GO GET A NORMAL CHECKUP--THAT"S ASSUMING YOU DIDN"T NEED ANYTHING AND JUST WENT TO GO GET CHECKED OUT BY A DOCTOR!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AND I GOT A GOOD INSURANCE TOO THAT DOESN"T SHAFT PEOPLE

(for reference that's 11.24 pounds!!)

• I know of people who have had to be rushed to the ER because they were saving money to treat an ongoing condition -- until the condition went overboard and even after the trip to the ER they get saddled with a massive bill.

The reason why the government step in and help subsidize this stuff is because a lot of people are afraid that their hard earned tax money is going to be used to subsidize care for illegals (there are cases of illegal immigrants travelling to get free care and then leaving but its honestly not enough to affect anything) or people living off of welfare checks etc and etc. Also insurance companies are going to lose out on their cash cow so to speak so there's a lot of opposition to one of the easier solutions to lower medical prices. I'm not saying that this is the only solution but I'm just giving an example as to the resistance that occurs to some solutions.

• I don't have time to watch the whole thing, but yes... this country sucks majorly in a lot of ways.

Health care - it's extremely commercialized and so you have to pay a lot of money for care. There is free health care provided by states, but it's only for people who have extremely low income and children... and by extremely low I mean if you have a job where you work 10 hours a week and make minimum wage (which is $7.25/hr) the you probably make too much money for it and are screwed.

Work culture - as I mentioned the federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr. Your employer isn't required to offer to benefits of any kind unless you work a certain average number of hours per week and if they hire you part time, they will purposely schedule you so you are consistently just shy of this number and so never qualify for things like insurance benefits, maternity/paternity leave, etc.

You're told not to come to work if you're sick, but in reality you are fully expected to come to work if you are sick or even just gave birth. If your employer gives you paid sick time separately from your paid time off/vacation days then you're extremely lucky.

Education - College is expensive as hell and only getting more and more expensive. I remember a new story during Obama's presidency at one point that mentioned that he and Michelle paid off their student loans WHILE HE WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA. It took that long. And that's a lucky case. Most college graduates are in their early 20s and already thousands and thousands of dollars in debt which makes it harder for them to do things like start a family or buy a house because it takes much longer to become financially secure when you're paying back $600 a month in student loans.

Things like safety on the street vary though. Yes there is a problem with gun violence in this country and yes there are instances of people being attacked on the street, but for the most part how safe you feel will depend on where you live and your own personal experiences.

• In America poor families often just take their kids to the ER when they are sick because they can't be turned away. Health insurance is a mess here

I know of people who have had to be rushed to the ER because they were saving money to treat an ongoing condition -- until the condition went overboard and even after the trip to the ER they get saddled with a massive bill.

The reason why the government step in and help subsidize this stuff is because a lot of people are afraid that their hard earned tax money is going to be used to subsidize care for illegals (there are cases of illegal immigrants travelling to get free care and then leaving but its honestly not enough to affect anything) or people living off of welfare checks etc and etc. Also insurance companies are going to lose out on their cash cow so to speak so there's a lot of opposition to one of the easier solutions to lower medical prices. I'm not saying that this is the only solution but I'm just giving an example as to the resistance that occurs to some solutions.

Yes. I was temporarily without health insurance for a certain period and one night at like 3am I tripped and broke my foot.

First thing I did was cry not because of how painful it was, but because I knew I didn't have health insurance and how much it would cost me.

People here would rather die than take an ambulance or go to the hospital sometimes. They fear debt more.
    free-healthcare-memes-1.jpg

wow that's pretty messed up that people have to wait until their health become worse to even think of going to the hospital

or thinking more about if you'll have enough money on your bank account to pay for your bill than thinking about your health first '-'

and why USA isn't doing anything ? the right to have access to good health care should be the first thing who matter in a developped country like the US

• Work culture - as I mentioned the federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr. Your employer isn't required to offer to benefits of any kind unless you work a certain average number of hours per week and if they hire you part time, they will purposely schedule you so you are consistently just shy of this number and so never qualify for things like insurance benefits, maternity/paternity leave, etc.

You're told not to come to work if you're sick, but in reality you are fully expected to come to work if you are sick or even just gave birth. If your employer gives you paid sick time separately from your paid time off/vacation days then you're extremely lucky.

Honestly the part about maternity/paternity leave is the most shocking things to me

i saw a video of someone saying that some teacher are accumulating their vacation days for years just in case they'll become parents, so they can take this vacation days as a maternity leave for few weeks

and that's so shocking :aespa14:

• and why USA isn't doing anything ? the right to have access to good health care should be the first thing who matter in a developped country like the US

1 money, 2 political division, 3 infighting, 4 money --

jokes aside Its a sore subject for most but the majority of people put up with it. Its the less wealthy that get affected by it and power flows where the money is, so they get very little representation. and usually the American way is to either make what you are missing or wait for the problem to become a problem to the people in power -- one way or another. Even then its still somewhat an uphill battle; even if proponents agree -- they have a hard time agreeing on how to go about it.

• 1 money, 2 political division, 3 infighting, 4 money --

jokes aside Its a sore subject for most but the majority of people put up with it. Its the less wealthy that get affected by it and power flows where the money is, so they get very little representation. and usually the American way is to either make what you are missing or wait for the problem to become a problem to the people in power -- one way or another. Even then its still somewhat an uphill battle; even if proponents agree -- they have a hard time agreeing on how to go about it.

i don't get why tons of people were protesting against mask during covid

but nobody protest against this to put pression on the government to try to change some things ?

• You'd be surprise at how many people here think health care is a privilege, not basic human rights. This country is shit as well as very divided.

that's disturbing :/

you don't get classes about human rights in school ? or some classes where your teacher compare with other countries to show other it work in US compare to other countries to help people to think about all of these things ?

maybe if people were more educate about human rights and how it work in other countries, it would open their eyes and make them think that it shouldn't be the same there

• 8|8|8| I'm shocked from everything I've read here. I knew healthcare and education are expensive in the US, but didn't know it was that much!

Never wanted to live there and now even less so.

• there is kind of Asian looking/mixed girl which talks about Austria

not sure if she said true tho

I mean about that free education in Austria

I'm sure they have few universities/colleges that offer it but I'm also sure there are a lot in which you need to pay monthly fee

first of all, that girl looks freakin gorgeous :love:

and no, its free, same as in germany.

• Medical Bills are very expensive here lol.

But I did not know that you were supposed to run in zigzags if someone was trying to shoot you. Nobody taught that to me. Maybe its because I live in a pretty safe area.

I guess we all learned something today.. lol

• first of all, that girl looks freakin gorgeous :love:

and no, its free, same as in germany.

not stationary is also free?

I mean ok even if going to class is free then what about accomodation on campus?

• their loyalty will reside with one side and whatever narrative that side is pushing. Much like a cult following.

talking of loyalty and cult , not really related

is it true that you pledge allegiance to the US flag everyday at school ? why are you doing it ? it something really weird to do for me, i can't even imagine doing it here

• 8|8|8| I'm shocked from everything I've read here. I knew healthcare and education are expensive in the US, but didn't know it was that much!

Never wanted to live there and now even less so.

its true, its normal, and i live with it.

117931-katlay-gif

• not stationary is also free?

I mean ok even if going to class is free then what about accomodation on campus?

by free education i think she's talking about education fee

everybody paid accomodation even here, even if the university is free

but at least you get a monthly scholarship and help from government to pay less for accomodation

and you also have student service where you can find accomodation to a lower price than they are usually

• its true, its normal, and i live with it.

117931-katlay-gif

We have a lot of problems as well, but I don't have to struggle with things like healthcare and education etc, so reading this I feel privileged...

Come to Europe zuzu :groovins:

• I don't have to struggle with things like healthcare and education etc, so reading this I feel privileged...

exactly

we complain about a lot of shit but after seeing these videos and reading everything ....

i think a lot of people here in Europe don't seem to understand how privilege we truly are for all these things who seems like the most basic things for us but aren't for a lot of people

• by free education i think she's talking about education fee

everybody paid accomodation even here, even if the university is free

but at least you get a monthly scholarship and help from government to pay less for accomodation

and you also have student service where you can find accomodation to a lower price than they are usually

ah in Poland scholarship is only for brains

and only public universities/colleges offer free study but only for stationary students

also there is a catch each university/college has limiit of first years that they can take as new students so...

basically it's not easy to study for free in Poland, and most people must pay for their education

• not stationary is also free?

thats a different story, can't speak for austria now, but in germany you get support form the state up to a certain amount, but you can't live from it alone, so you def need a bit of extra cash to cover your living and food expenses

I don't think we have campus simliar to the US, but there are also some housing opportunstes that favor students for a relatively low rent

• i don't get why tons of people were protesting against mask during covid

but nobody protest against this to put pression on the government to try to change some things ?

its more political opposition, this one. Obama Pushed through the affordable healthcare act but then trump just deleted it after he took office

(as well as a pandemic task force, mind you.) so you can see why the US was absolute crap at taking care of covid.

The protest against this one is in the political offices, or on ballots. people have gotten past the marching in the streets bit.

• We have a lot of problems as well, but I don't have to struggle with things like healthcare and education etc, so reading this I feel privileged...

im so worried about my future for a reason, im not tryna get student debt and not have enough money to support myself. money is really the only thing that's going to help me in life.

136444-jaemin-eyes-gif

• exactly

we complain about a lot of shit but after seeing these videos and reading everything ....

i think a lot of people here in Europe don't seem to understand how privilege we truly are for all these things who seems like the most basic things for us but aren't for a lot of people

I think about it a lot... Like people in my country behave like spoiled brats. They have everything, but complain all the time. Of course nowhere is perfect. But it feels like because we live in this safe world they're so bored that they have to complain about bizzare things. Like riot because their kids have to do Covid tests...

• im so worried about my future for a reason, im not tryna get student debt and not have enough money to support myself. money is really the only thing that's going to help me in life.

136444-jaemin-eyes-gif

I understand that, we all need money to survive etc, but yeah, it feels like in US you have to be worried about this from such young age, it's unreal... I wish you wouldn't have to think about this and that you could just do what you're passionate about...

• talking of loyalty and cult , not really related

is it true that you pledge allegiance to the US flag everyday at school ? why are you doing it ? it something really weird to do for me, i can't even imagine doing it here

It's true. The pledge started back during the Civil War and then it got officially adopted by Congress. Back in the day, during the Cold War, in order to "fight communism" or whatever they decided that all kids should say the pledge every single day at school to remind themselves that democracy is the best and they added "under God" to it at the same time because bigotry.

Schools can no longer force you stand for the pledge or the anthem nor can they force you to recite it.

Basically the 1950s and the Cold War fucked over the whole country (even worse than it was before) and extreme patriotism, nationalism, and conservative Christian views became the foundation for the country.

• Well here in France every Universities college is free based on your parent ressource

but even if your parents are rich, college fee are so low that it's consider almost free

and if you're from a low or average revenu family you get a monthly scholarship even if you're not the best at school

and less your family revenu are low more the amount of money you get is high

and here there's no limit for the amount of new student, we only get through a selection when you reach your 4th year of college which is to enter in a master degree, where they choose only the best student and where the number of place is limited

• I understand that, we all need money to survive etc, but yeah, it feels like in US you have to be worried about this from such young age, it's unreal... I wish you wouldn't have to think about this and that you could just do what you're passionate about...

its alright, id like to say im still fortunate to live here. because in reality, if i was still living in my home country, things would be a lot different, and id literally be living in an extremely sexist and misogynistic society. at least i have the freedom to be myself and speak my mind.

• its more political opposition, this one. Obama Pushed through the affordable healthcare act but then trump just deleted it after he took office

(as well as a pandemic task force, mind you.) so you can see why the US was absolute crap at taking care of covid.

The protest against this one is in the political offices, or on ballots. people have gotten past the marching in the streets bit.

well marching in the street would prove to the government that the population care about this problem and will no longer live silently and acting like it's normal

it would definitely put a lot of pressure on the government to do something about it

• I understand that, we all need money to survive etc, but yeah, it feels like in US you have to be worried about this from such young age, it's unreal... I wish you wouldn't have to think about this and that you could just do what you're passionate about...

that's why managing allowances are a thing -- financial literacy is a survival skill in a very much capitalist country

• It's a deeeeeply embedded tradition that they instill on you when you're young. So for most elementary schools it's still heavily practiced. I know it by heart still sadly.

But yeah, it makes you believe you're not a good american that stands for "unity", "god", and "liberty & justice" for all if you start questioning your own country and how things are generally run in it.

tldf; It's patriotic garbage to brainwash young kids to grow up into well- insert some not so nice words here.
    :itzy12:

ive always thought how it was funny how i had to pledge allegiance under a god i didn't believe in. but nowadays, high schoolers don't even say it. they just stand up for 30 seconds starting at a flag at 7 in the morning pukEat at 2x

• I think about it a lot... Like people in my country behave like spoiled brats. They have everything, but complain all the time. Of course nowhere is perfect. But it feels like because we live in this safe world they're so bored that they have to complain about bizzare things. Like riot because their kids have to do Covid tests...

exactly

people need a reality check because if tomorrow they no longer have all these things, they'll see how privileged we were and how they shouldn't act like spoiled brats

• that's why managing allowances are a thing -- financial literacy is a survival skill in a very much capitalist country

Of course, everyone has to, most people live in a capitalist countries nowdays..

But still, I think people should be worried about other things.

• It's true. The pledge started back during the Civil War and then it got officially adopted by Congress. Back in the day, during the Cold War, in order to "fight communism" or whatever they decided that all kids should say the pledge every single day at school to remind themselves that democracy is the best and they added "under God" to it at the same time because bigotry.

Schools can no longer force you stand for the pledge or the anthem nor can they force you to recite it.

Basically the 1950s and the Cold War fucked over the whole country (even worse than it was before) and extreme patriotism, nationalism, and conservative Christian views became the foundation for the country.

It's a deeeeeply embedded tradition that they instill on you when you're young. So for most elementary schools it's still heavily practiced. I know it by heart still sadly.

But yeah, it makes you believe you're not a good american that stands for "unity", "god", and "liberty & justice" for all if you start questioning your own country and how things are generally run in it.

tldf; It's patriotic garbage to brainwash young kids to grow up into well- insert some not so nice words here.
    :itzy12:

that's a really weird tradition :/

• that's why managing allowances are a thing -- financial literacy is a survival skill in a very much capitalist country

*me who spends all of my money at dollar tree and starbucks*

136445-johnny-confused-judgemental-gif

• Health insurance is very expensive - and much more so since the industry-written ObamaCare bill passed - because insurance companies and large hospital groups make gigantic political contributions to make sure it stays that way. Doctors hate it. Patients hate it. When patients can just pay doctors directly, in cash, the price of everything from routine checkups to major surgeries drops dramatically. ObamaCare made doing that much more difficult for physicians. Some facilities like the Oklahoma Surgery Center are still fighting the trend, and thriving.

College education is very expensive - because of the availability of student loans. The more money government lends, the higher the tuition rates go to capture it all. Students do not benefit from going deep into debt for education - but these antiquated institutions certainly benefit, and they make big monetary and in-kind political contributions to keep it that way. With the rise of online learning, however, the institutions are staring doom in the face. Potential students have to become smart enough to find alternatives and let the dinosaur universities collapse into extinction. If they keep playing the rigged game, they will keep losing.

Health care and education are not "rights" and can never be - they are services provided to individuals by other individuals, who do not work for free. But both systems have been corrupted by looters, and need a big blast of free market competition to force prices back to reality. Government intervention has kept prices artificially high - by design.

• ive always thought how it was funny how i had to pledge allegiance under a god i didn't believe in. but nowadays, high schoolers don't even say it. they just stand up for 30 seconds starting at a flag at 7 in the morning pukEat at 2x

NO WAY, ok, I didn't even know that was a thing, WTH hahaha

• but nobody protest against this to put pression on the government to try to change some things ?

Americans did protest in mass numbers.. When Obama looked like he was going to majorly reform healthcare. That was the galvanising act that made the Tea Party movement the strongest grass-roots protest movement in the US since the civil rights movement.

The majority Americans really really don't want "socialised" healthcare. Many of them believe it results in "death panels" deciding who lives and dies (as opposed to... bank accounts and jobs deciding who lives and dies ig). Crucially, poor white Americans would rather die because they don't have access to free healthcare then have that same healthcare be offered to black people. Knowledge of this fact was the motivating factor in the creation of the Welfare Queen myth.

Appeals to racism form the most effective argument against welfare benefits both inside and outside of America. Look out for it in France and I'm sure you'll notice it.

• This thread contains 27 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!