What’s you opinion about kpop companies deliberately not choosing half black trainees?

• We’re now up to like 10+ half white or white idols or trainees featured in a kpop company or survival show. Yet there has never been a single half black trainee as far as I remember, maybe 1. But none in recent times. Obviously this is deliberate not choosing. There were a lot of black mixed kids born around army bases. And there’s black mixed models. Will kpop ever change from this? The world is opening up for Korean culture but Korea doesn’t want to open up for the world, unless it’s fan’s money

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• koreans prefer light skin tone.

This may be partially true. Half white/half Koreans idols are seen as good-looking. Whereas other mixed Korean ppl tend to be looked down upon. Colorism......and I think racism as well.

( •ㅅ• )( •ㅅ• )( •ㅅ• )

• if you think that k-pop idols and companies can make their way through the Korean crowd in any way with a very high level of racism and a sense of "citizenship" then you are delusional. kpop doesn't have that power in korea, it would only hurt the company. people literally have a problem with idols coming from asian sides and you want here.,.,., asujdnasdsad i can't

• First of all we should ask ourself how many half black kids even live in Korea before we can decide if it’s deliberately not choosing them.

There aren’t as much black foreigners in Korea than white foreigners or Asian foreigners. So by default they already have more half-white kids than half-black kids.

And secondly, how many of the already few half black kids do even audition for music companies?

Racism could play a role here… but on the other hand there aren’t even that many black People in Korea to have a proper comparison in the first place.

• if Fatou debuted then I guess this already closes idea of this thread...

also it's not that common to be half-black, half-Korean person, not even mentioning being a kpop trainee

it is much more common in Japan for example in Okinawa

also Japanese even had half-Jamaican, half-Japanese football (soccer) national team player Musashi Suzuki

there is Ado Onaiwu - Japanese mother, and Nigerian father

they also have a young goalkeeper Zion Suzuki which has Japanese father, and Ghanaian mother.

overall from all celebs I only remember Han Hyunmin who has Nigerian father and Korean mother.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Just wondering how many half black individual did you know who weren't chosen as a trainee?

Are there really a lot of half black individual who have tried but failed to get accepted?

• First of all we should ask ourself how many half black kids even live in Korea before we can decide if it’s deliberately not choosing them.

There aren’t as much poc foreigners in Korea than white foreigners. So by default they already have more half-white kids than half-black kids.

And secondly, how many of the already few half black kids do even audition for music companies?

Racism could play a role here… but on the other hand there aren’t even that many black People in Korea to have a proper comparison in the first place.

first of all, this is not true? the majority of foreigners in sk are asian foreigners. asian people are poc so just say black people if thats what you meant. 156,982 legally documented americans were living in sk in 2020. there's not really any statistic on how many of those people were white americans vs poc americans. anyway, my only point is you cant just say smtg like that as a basis of you whole point without actual statistics its a huge assumption that there are statistically more white korean mixed kids than black korean mixed kids in sk. us being shown more of one in media doesn't say anything about the actual demographics.

who's your favorite artist?

• it’s actually less common to be half white than half SEA in Korea, yet there’s still more half white idols/trainees

• first of all, this is not true? the majority of foreigners in sk are asian foreigners. asian people are poc so just say black people if thats what you meant. 156,982 legally documented americans were living in sk in 2020. there's not really any statistic on how many of those people were white americans vs poc americans. anyway, my only point is you cant just say smtg like that as a basis of you whole point without actual statistics its a huge assumption that there are statistically more white korean mixed kids than black korean mixed kids in sk. us being shown more of one in media doesn't say anything about the actual demographics.

There aren’t statistics, but testimonies by foreigners living in Korea. They all say compared to other foreigners Black people aren’t that many…

Tips for Black Travelers in South Korea | Frommer's

Also yes with poc I mean non-Asians but not white people. I thought it was self explanatory that I did not included East and South Asians in poc cause they are from the same race.

But thanks for correcting in case someone didn’t got what I mean.

• and this is what’s spreading around the world

Most places in the world that aren't western always preferred fairer skin if anything at least majority wise. Progressives in the USA whine a lot about eurocentric beauty standards but pale skin has been in in many places, almost too many for me to list here.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!