Why do people think having decent vocals in an MV = you can sing?

• I'm honestly confused. I'm just using Aespa as an example here, but this goes for like....most k-pop groups. Aespa's singing in Forever is literally a studio version. Studio versions are edited and improved af. Like, literally anyone can make a track/MV and sound "amazing" in it after they put it through a studio with a good producer. Yet I see so many comments being like OMG THEY'RE THE BEST VOCALISTS EVARRRR!!1!11! Like....do stans actually believe that?? o_o

If they release a LIVE VERSION with NO BACKTRACK and actually sound good/comparable to the MV, THENNNNN it's impressive and will actually show that they can sing. For example, Sistar! Shinee! These groups sang hella live and actually sound like their amazing vocals in their MV. Unfortunately, most groups these days either lip sync entirely or have the backtrack SOOOOOOOOO loud that it's impossible to hear the whimpering vocals beneath.

I'm sure that someone in Aespa actually does have good vocals, like NingNing or whatevs her name is. But when people are like "omg they all have GOD TIER VOCALS omg best vocals of the new generation!!!1!!!11!1!" after JUST hearing the MV it's like.....no luv......that's called autotune and the studio.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

• I don't know about other groups but aespa is an SM group, therefore, it's highly unlikely that they aren't good live vocalists. What SM group has there ever been that hasn't been able to hold a note live?

This thread honestly just seems like an opportunity to hate on aespa and other groups.

• I don't know about other groups but aespa is an SM group, therefore, it's highly unlikely that they aren't good live vocalists. What SM group has there ever been that hasn't been able to hold a note live?

This thread honestly just seems like an opportunity to hate on aespa and other groups.

lol no one is "hating" on them. I'm honestly curious how people come to the conclusion that idols are god tier singers from just hearing them in an MV! and also, how god tier vocals are described in k-pop as well. like I'd consider Ariana Grande god tier vocals and I don't think 97% of idols can hold a candle to her vocals.....

• lol no one is "hating" on them. I'm honestly curious how people come to the conclusion that idols are god tier singers from just hearing them in an MV! and also, how god tier vocals are described in k-pop as well. like I'd consider Ariana Grande god tier vocals and I don't think 97% of idols can hold a candle to her vocals.....

No one is bashing them YET, we'll see as the thread progresses. I'm not saying aespa has god tier vocals like other MYs but they are great vocalists, it's undeniable. There are few idols that can compare to Ariana Grande but it's kind of an unfair comparison to begin with. Ariana Grande is honestly one in a million, just like Mariah Carey. It's hard to compare anyone to them, either in the Western music industry or in K-pop.

• If anyone can go into a studio and sound amazing why do some groups sound like crap and the rappers in my favourite groups never get singing lines ??

• Autotune does magic, but it's not omnipotent. We cannot say they are god-tier vocalist, but we can at least say they are all above average and probably all are good vocalists.

• No one is bashing them YET, we'll see as the thread progresses. I'm not saying aespa has god tier vocals like other MYs but they are great vocalists, it's undeniable. There are few idols that can compare to Ariana Grande but it's kind of an unfair comparison to begin with. Ariana Grande is honestly one in a million, just like Mariah Carey. It's hard to compare anyone to them, either in the Western music industry or in K-pop.

this is true lol she is a gem, but I think in general western singers are held to a higher standard than k-pop idols to be considered "good".

If anyone can go into a studio and sound amazing why do some groups sound like crap and the rappers in my favourite groups never get singing lines ??

lol idk, maybe they don't have good producers? or maybe you just don't like the song? I've never heard a k-pop song where the vocals sounded a mess in the studio version. I see groups that let the rappers "sing" (through a ton of autotune) all the time, maybe your fave groups just want to keep the rappers as rappers!

Honestly, even the GGs of theirs from between SES and SNSD slay vocals and still do tons of OSTs

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Utada-Hikaru-Blue-Stay-Magical-Sig.png

• literally anyone can make a track/MV and sound "amazing" Who?

So why other groups don't sound as good as aespa if it's that easy? or any other SM group? And don't worry about aespa, we've heard them to sing live and we knew all of them can sing before "forever". The only suprised about aespa vocals are non-fans.

• Aespa vocals no studio version. Maybe you should put another group as example because aespa have no problem with vocals.

Karina predebut

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Giselle predebut

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ningning predebut

Winter

You thought you did something mentioning aespa but you didn't. Aespa is formed of a main vocalist, two lead vocals and sub/lead vocal who is also main rapper.

• Honestly, even the GGs of theirs from between SES and SNSD slay vocals and still do tons of OSTs

lol ok everyone talking about SM vocals, but Irene and Yeri (bless her, shes my bias) are not "good singers". Nor are Victoria, Sulli, or Amber. Like this is my issue with k-pop. Being able to HOLD A TUNE does not = BEING A GOOD SINGER. Wendy, Taeyeon, Luna, Tiffany--sure they can be considered good vocalists. I'm just tired of people being like "eVeRyOnE iS VoCaL sLaYaGe!!1!"

80% of idols (or more) are in this "can hold a tune" camp. Like I'm happy that they're not tone deaf, but........they're not doing anything special either.

Shinee is one of the only groups where the majority of members can sing WELL. Jonghyun, Onew, Taemin, Key all have impressive vocals that they've proven live. I'd say Mamamoo is another.

literally anyone can make a track/MV and sound "amazing" Who?

So why other groups don't sound as good as aespa if it's that easy? or any other SM group? And don't worry about aespa, we've heard them to sing live and we knew all of them can sing before "forever". The only suprised about aespa vocals are non-fans.

lol there are lots of groups that sound as good as SM vocally.........................see above.

plenty of ppl in sm cannot sing

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!