Which Record/Achievement will be Harder to Break?

• Which Record/Achievement will be Harder to Break? 33

1. Another Boy Group getting a PAKs (24) 73%
    2. Another Girl Group selling 1 Million album (9) 27%

Throughout history only 3 Boy Groups manage to get a Perfect-All-Kill on Korean chart (basically, simultaneously getting no.1 on all Korean streaming services/chart)

-Bigbang, 5 songs

Blue [2012], Loser [2015], Let’s Not Fall In Love [2015], Fxxk It [2016], Flower Road [2018]

-Ikon, 1 song

Love Scenario [2018]

-BTS, 4 songs

Fake Love [2018], Boy With Luv [2019], Dynamite [2020], Butter [2021]

And only 1 Girl Group manage to sell 1 Million album, Blackpink-The Album.

So both are a very exclusive achievements, tho rn physical sales has been rising all across the board and who knows, maybe another BG can get a lucky local smash hit. But, which one will be harder to break in the future in your opinion?

• Good question. Getting a hit song is lot more easier than garnering big enough fandom for huge album sales.

In kpop sphere, I have seen that people are sexist towards boy groups. They avoid boy groups and their music willingly. Especially koreans. That makes me think there is a bigger possibility of a girl group selling 1m than a boy group getting a hit song. IZ*ONE could sell 600k, right? So next survival show girl group will most probably sell more than them and with enough cheap versions of the album & online fansigns, I think they can sell 1m. I mean it just looks more likely.

• Good question. Getting a hit song is lot more easier than garnering big enough fandom for huge album sales.

In kpop sphere, I have seen that people are sexist towards boy groups. They avoid boy groups and their music willingly. Especially koreans. That makes me think there is a bigger possibility of a girl group selling 1m than a boy group getting a hit song. IZ*ONE could sell 600k, right? So next survival show girl group will most probably sell more than them and with enough cheap versions of the album & online fansigns, I think they can sell 1m. I mean it just looks more likely.

There's a big gap from 500/600k to 1M tho. But recently with a lot of 3rd/4th gen BG almost doubling up their sales, I'm starting to think 'maybe it's not impossible for GG to do the same?'.

• Depends on what the trophy is made of when we hit it with a hammer to break.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think nowadays both are possible.

If a bg song is really well liked then I don’t see why it can’t smash. It’s just that bgs overall aren’t that popular with public so they really need to have a great song or at least build up a rep with public of delivering songs they like.

The album market is much more accessible and obviously sales have increased. Groups like Twice and Iz one can sell half a mil so it’s noy of out reach, with the right promo and maybe a album manipulation it’s likely it could happen again.

But I’ll say it’s harder for gg to sell a million mainly because SNSD is the only other million seller and it took an entire decade with now a more favourable landscape for album sales for just 1 group to match that. Ggs need to build up a huge and dedicated fan base. Meanwhile pretty much any time of the year a bg could release a good song and potentially get number 1s from millions of casual listeners who don’t need to be fans of the group

• There's a big gap from 500/600k to 1M tho. But recently with a lot of 3rd/4th gen BG almost doubling up their sales, I'm starting to think 'maybe it's not impossible for GG to do the same?'.

Yeah girl groups also went two or three folds during the pandemic with online fansigns. I think Itzy went from 150k to 350k, Same for RV I guess.

I just think there is bigger possibility of a girl group selling 1m than a boy group getting a PAK. Coz even though Melon is now easier to top, Flo still isn't.

• Yes you are correct, I think another 150k is a repackage. Can you allow me to revote?

Haha Iirc RIAJ certification are based on shipment while Oricon just count sales from Japan area. So Ig ppl who call SNSD Japan Album a million seller aren't technically wrong either. I just prefer to use Oricon number Ig.

• The girl groups selling another 1m aside of BP is gonna be the hardest to break. China's ban + World tours and fanmeetings coming back + merch at concert coming back + incoming economic crisis due covid = probably a huge hit in physical sales in the next years, doubt another girl group will sell 1m at least until the next decade, plus a pak seems easier now if you have a gp friendly song and a good promotion like a tiktok challenge that could lead the song to a good virality moment

• Meanwhile pretty much any time of the year a bg could release a good song and potentially get number 1s.

Thats what I thought as well initially, but after finding out only 3 BG manage to get a PAK and only 2 BG can get that with more than one song, eventho there's plenty BG hits from 2010-onwards, I'm starting to think "luck" and timing factor play a big part in this.

• Since physical sales is on the rise, while boygroup keep flopping on Korean chart, I'll choose BG getting a PAK for now. If Aespa continue to rise maybe they can be the next million seller GG

:pepe-shades:

• The girl groups selling another 1m aside of BP is gonna be the hardest to break. China's ban + World tours and fanmeetings coming back + merch at concert coming back + incoming economic crisis due covid = probably a huge hit in physical sales in the next years, doubt another girl group will sell 1m at least until the next decade, plus a pak seems easier now if you have a gp friendly song and a good promotion like a tiktok challenge that could lead the song to a good virality moment

Looking at the number of songs with a PAK throughout the years I don't think it's easier to get a PAK now tbh.

2016 : 18 songs got a PAK

2017 : 16 songs

2018 : 13 songs

2019 : 6 songs

2020 : 8 songs

2021 : 5/6 songs so far

The numbers of song with PAK are on a downward trend kinda, so I personally don't see it as "easier" now.

• But how many gg's have sold a million copies on a single album release?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!