Will Butter break new Melon's UL record?

• 2021 SOTY 18

1. Butter (8) 44%
    2. Celebrity (10) 56%

BTS korean listeners can be divided into three groups:

Their core fanbase - 250k listeners

Easily reachable casuals - 250k listeners as well

Fluctuating - 200-500k listeners

Since the inception of Melon's 24Hits chart the highest anyone got was IU with celebrity (832k ULs). However, I'm sensing something different about BTS status in Korea compared to even IU's. Matter of fact, this year BTS and IU went to the same show (Yoo Jae-Suk's "Your Quiz on the Block") on back to back weeks and BTS rating was a full point better than hers, also the highest the show ever got, which means BTS seem to be finally converting their fluctuating listeners (who were at their highest during BWL first day and reappeared during Dynamite's surge) into their fold.

There is a sense of rising pride and patriotism in Korea on every move BTS makes. The start of that phenomenon was the massive surge Dynamite saw in the korean charts following its topping of the Billboard Hot 100, but it has continued. Life Goes On also got it but to a lesser extent cause the first time is always more impactful. When Hybe acquired Scooter Braun's Ithaca Holdings, Justin Bieber's "Peaches" had a surge of its own in the korean charts simply because it was reported he was now a labelmate to BTS, to them supporting Bieber was equal to supporting BTS. On Naver, the most ordinary stuff related to Jimin gets over 5k likes every time. And then it came the McDonald's announcement, which only enhanced that feeling of patriotism.

It was presumed that her releasing in January, given the digimon she is and the amount of points Celebrity will have accumulated that IU was a slam dunk to win SOTY in 2021 as long as she attends awards, but now I'm feeling like Butter can easily erase that advantage. Dynamite might look small compared to it.

• For that it has first to break Dynamite's record of 671k. And the actual record is SSAK3's Summer Sea Again at 943k. Celebrity only holds the record for the first 24h.

IU historically has notoriously high first 24h ULs, so I wouldn't say it's an easy task.

As for You Quiz on The Block, BTS had a special 100 minutes episode. IU was only 1 of the 5 guests appearing for only 15 minutes.

And, no, I don't believe JB is now #3 on MelOn because of Hybe.

P.S.: I just realized that the question in the title is not even the same as the one in the poll.

• The fact that you are using the rating of Yoo of the block to say BTS gonna beat IU Melon ULs already lost me.

IU can easily get over 800k ULs with every comeback whether it is a hit song or not. it's just her popularity when it comes to music and recognition.

BTS's ULs in 24 hours have been between 400k-500k and dynamite ULs peek at around 700k(but not on the first day) so I don't see how BTS can beat IU ULs any soon.

• Official Post

Justin Bieber's "Peaches" had a surge of its own in the korean charts simply because it was reported he was now a labelmate to BTS,

This is when I stopped reading and decided not to take your post seriously. Justin was already very very popular in Korea prior to the whole Ithaca Holdings deal and Peaches was already on the rise before that as well. The song is simply good and that's why it's doing well.

I'm not going to answer the main question because it's clearly a set up for both parties involved.

• The fact that you are using the rating of Yoo of the block to say BTS gonna beat IU Melon ULs already lost me.

This is when I stopped reading and decided not to take your post seriously. Justin was already very very popular in Korea prior to the whole Ithaca Holdings deal and Peaches was already on the rise before that as well. The song is simply good and that's why it's doing well.

It's the same person that implied Aespa is done because StayC got bigger. What to expect?

• i'll have to say... its difficult to beat celebrity's record

celebrity had the hype of being the pre-release single of iu's first full-length studio album in 4 years

the previous pre-release single of her last full-length studio album was through the night, which the gp LOVED

and pre-reform she had ridiculous first 24h ULs that even bigbang couldn't beat...

meanwhile dyna is still in top 10 melon (i think) and im not sure if the gp is missing BTS much yet

its alright though, cause longevity is more important for SOTY, hopefully butter lasts as long as dyna

• Will Butter have the strongest ULs?

- The song has not even released not even the teaser of mv released. So chillax.

Soty 2021?

- The game of longevity.

None thought a bomb called Dynamite will drop after the end of half of 2020. But it dropped & still on 10-15 ranking on K charts. It is the power what Soty has. If Butter is the twin of Dynamite in k charts, it will Soty otherwise not.

End.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!