I don’t get how some Threads asking who the bigger or more popular Group can have that many pages.

• Like what most do is name dropping their faves and use metrics to strengthen their claim that are only beneficial to their faves… and for the next 5-10+ pages people are arguing over which metric is more relevant… and if they don’t have anything more to say, they start to bring in other Groups.

Like loool…

Tbh, with so many cases there aren’t even much numbers needed!

You can tell how popular or how big a Group is just by their impact… with that I mean how often you see people talking about them, articles, social media engagement etc etc.

I mean we all don’t need to see numbers to tell that Apple IPhone line is a bigger/or more popular brand than Samsung Galaxy line! This is something you can just feel!!

I hope y’all get what I mean lol

• Apple dominates in North America and Oceania. Samsung dominates in Europe, Asia and South America.

So, who's bigger? Some will say North America is more important, others will say it's Europe and Asia and in the end nobody will agree.

It's what happens when comparing K-pop groups.

• Apple tramples Samsung in North America and Oceania. But Samsung dominates in Europe and Asia and tramples Apple in South America.

So, who's bigger? It's what happens when comparing K-pop groups.

Talking about their phones… should be more clear in the OP…

Samsung isn’t bigger than Apple when it comes to their phone line, Samsung sell more cause they got more affordable phones. Nevertheless in 2020 Apple sold more phones than Samsung!

Unless we expand Samsung in their whole inventory… than as a conglomerate company they of course bigger…

• You know I hate that because we are aiming for a very healthy forum.

And then suddenly some users like to make 5-10 pages on threads. What did they do?

Mentioning or comparing big groups in a disrespectful way.

Asking about "national hits".

Directly attacking someone or some groups.

Trolling and making up stories.

Honestly, garbage.

:iloveyoub: BRIGHTWIN FOREVER :iloveyoub: SARAWATTINE FOREVER :iloveyoub: 2GETHER FOREVER :iloveyoub: 

Bom tấn đam mỹ 2gether "đánh úp" bản điện ảnh, cặp BrightWin sắp sửa cưới  nhau hoành tráng?

• Talking about their phones… should be more clear in the OP…

Samsung isn’t bigger than Apple when it comes to their phone line, Samsung sell more cause they got more affordable phones. Nevertheless in 2020 Apple sold more phones than Samsung!

Unless we expand Samsung in their whole inventory… than as a conglomerate company they of course bigger…

I'm talking about phones too. My point isn't who's bigger, but that data doesn't always point to a single winner. A Samsung fan may claim market share is more important, an Apple fan it's revenue.

You probably made this because of the aespa/enhypen thread. There was data pointing to both and that's why people never agreed.

What happens is that fans will cherry-pick what gives them the advantage and will insist on it. I've seen it on aespa v. Itzy threads. I've seen it on Twice v. Blackpink threads. I've seen it on the 3rd biggest BG thread that then evolved to the 2nd biggest BG thread.

Hardly a group will dominate on every metric, unless you're comparing like Mamamoo to Purple Kiss.

• If you view this as a winner and looser situation than yeah there won’t be a winner.

But the music industry is not a race, some Acts will always be more popular than others until someone surpassed them in popularity.

What I’m saying is, you can tell who is leading ahead of someone else in a direct comparison without all these cherry-picking metrics. Unless you are talking about commercial success.

• Hell naw, things will get too subjective by using "impact" as a standard measurement. There's no accurate way to measure 'impact' anyway, and oftentimes your judgement will depend on which part of internet/community you're in . At least numbers is more "objective", eventho numbers and chart can be interpreted in many ways.

• Hell naw, things will get too subjective by using "impact" as a standard measurement. There's no accurate way to measure 'impact' anyway, and oftentimes your judgement will depend on which part of internet/community you're in . At least numbers is more "objective", eventho numbers and chart can be interpreted in many ways.

Well true that. . .

• I think that the whole Samsung vs Apple clearly shows how such discussion threads can easily go to several pages, often because there isn't a clear cut 'winner' and whether one brand does better often depends what you're actually comparing or measuring.

Gut feeling has no meaning, because everyone's gut feeling isn't saying the same thing, so then the discussion basically becomes 'whose gut feeling is better, yours or mine or that of a third person?'

It's kinda the same discussion I've seen held about Playstation vs XBOX, Marvel vs DC etc etc.

There's also nothing wrong with people debating what group does better in which area, but often that type of discussions becomes a sports game in itself, where there can only be 1 winner in heated arguments, instead of discussing the merits and successes of various groups in several areas :wellr:

• You think Apple is bigger because you has narrow view from first world citizen

If you ask thr same question in Brazil I assure you 9 out of 10 Brazilians will answer Samsung is much more popular than Apple

That's because perception is flawed. It's the same, you can't just "know" things, all things you think you know are based on memories, experiences and intelectual condition. It's even easy to social-engineer an information or facts, just repeat more than 10000x something and people will subconsciously accept that as truth

That's why we need to find some middle ground, something it's not down to narratives or perceptions, something that exists outside a very distorted human mind. Numbers are a good measure in this sense, because they are factual data. How do you strect numbers analysis of course will depend, but you will need evidence

Imagine how science would have gone if people just followed their own instincts. Deductive analysis (starting from gut feeling and formulating a general theory and then validating it) is much better in formal sciences like Economics, Math, Physics, Chemistry, Theoretical Psycology, Elemental Sociology, etc meanwhile Inductive analysis (starting from the data analysis and then formulating a general theory) is far more used when we are talking about concrete questions and real-world problem solving

Popularity measurement, brand value calculus, market share analysis, industry research, all those falls into a more inductive research (I.e. data). That's the point you thread is missing, data is not the problem, the problem is the subjective analysis made towards it. There isn't a simple and easy answer how to solve it, there are frameworks to help, but this is a forum, not an academic space and people discuss for their own amusement and entertainment so this is as far as they are willing to do

• Well, if I don't prove that my faves are more popular, then how will I prove how superior I am?!?!?!

Like jfc, who cares. It's not like once you listen to one group, you're banned from ever listening to another group. There's tons of overlap in the fandoms. Just support good songs.

But I do think some people hinge their whole personality around certain things, and they take it as a personal insult if you don't also think X.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Popularity measurement, brand value calculus, market share analysis, industry research, all those falls into a more inductive research (I.e. data). That's the point you thread is missing, data is not the problem, the problem is the subjective analysis made towards it. There isn't a simple and easy answer how to solve it, there are frameworks to help, but this is a forum, not an academic space and people discuss for their own amusement and entertainment so this is as far as they are willing to do

You got a point!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!